Arch IRC channels
You are expected to familiarize yourself with our Code of conduct and Code of conduct#IRC before joining any of the official channels. For a list of commonly used abbreviations, see Arch terminology and IRC Jargon.
- Due to abuse various gateways and web clients may be banned at times. If you experience trouble use a "proper" IRC client or ask one of the operators for a ban exemption (
- Channel statistics are logged for #archlinux-offtopic. Speak to jp/alyptik if you would like to opt-out permanently.
The central topic for #archlinux is support and general discussion about Arch Linux.
In order to reduce spam #archlinux and #archlinux-offtopic have the channel mode set to
+q $~a. This means you have to be identified via
NickServ to be able to join these channels and send messages, respectively. If you are not registered and identified, you will be forwarded to #archlinux-unregistered.
To register with NickServ, follow the freenode FAQ, as well as
NickServ help when connected to chat.freenode.net:
/query NickServ HELP REGISTER /query NickServ HELP IDENTIFY
/queryhappens to not work in your client you can try using either
/quote NickServ <command>or
/msg NickServ <command>.
- Some IRC clients have a race-condition where they try to autojoin channels before you have been identified with NickServ, and to solve it you need to enable SASL. Either look up your IRC client's documentation or look at the freenode SASL page to find instructions for how to enable it.
- You can get a list of people who can help you by typing
/msg ChanServ ACCESS #archlinux LIST, or join #freenode and ask there.
Arch operators are ops in both #archlinux and #archlinux-offtopic. See the list below, or run
/msg phrik listops on freenode.
If you for some reason need the help of an op, do not be shy to
/msg us. Here is the list of ops as of 18 Dec 2019:
- gehidore / man
- MrElendig / Mion
- tigrmesh / tigr
- wonder / ioni
The size of our community led to the creation of multiple IRC channels. To get a list of all channels on chat.freenode.net that contain
archlinux in their name, use the command
/query alis list *archlinux*.
- #archlinux-aur — AUR general discussion;
- #archlinux-aurweb — aurweb development discussion;
- #archlinux-bugs — Bug-centric discussion;
- #archlinux-classroom — A project that develops and hosts classes for the Arch Linux community;
- #archlinux-devops — Arch Linux internal infrastructure and devops discussions;
- #archlinux-multilib — Arch Linux Multilib Project discussion and packaging;
- #archlinux-newbie — A space to learn, try new things, and ask for help without fear of ridicule;
- #archlinux-pacman — Pacman development and discussion;
- #archlinux-projects — Projects development and discussion (mkinitcpio, abs, dbscripts, devtools…);
- #archlinux-reproducible — Discussion channel for achieving reproducible builds;
- #archlinux-security — Discussion of security issues within Arch packages;
- #archlinux-testing — Discussion channel regarding the testing repositories;
- #archlinux-wiki — Discussion about ArchWiki, its articles and the Arch Linux Forums;
- #archlinux-women — Discussing gender and equality, mostly in English;
- #archlinux-proaudio — Discussion of Arch Linux Pro Audio. Users also in the unofficial #archaudio.
International IRC channels
International discussions are available at the following channels, also located at the chat.freenode.net IRC network, unless stated otherwise.
- #archlinux-br — Brazilian;
- #archlinux-cn — Chinese; also on irc.oftc.net#arch-cn;
- #archlinux.cz — Czech;
- #archlinux.dk — Danish;
- #archlinux.fi — Finnish;
- #archlinux-fr — French;
- #archlinux.de — German;
- #archlinux-greece — Greek;
- #archlinux.hu — Hungarian;
- #archlinux-it — Italian; also on irc.azzurra.org#archlinux;
- #archlinux-nordics — the nordics: Danish, Finnish, Norwegian and Swedish;
- #archlinux.org.pl — Polish;
- #archlinux-pt — Portuguese;
- #archlinux.ro — Romanian;
- #archlinux-ru — Russian; also on irc.mibbit.net#archlinux-ru;
- #archlinux-rs — Serbian;
- #archlinux-es — Spanish;
- #archlinux.se — Swedish;
- #archlinux-tr — Turkish;
- #archlinux-ve — Venezuela;
- #archlinuxvn — Vietnamese, Tiếng Việt.