Category talk:Installation process
Harmonization of installation titles
Nothing urgent, but we have several specific installation articles, I was thinking we could improve the consistency of their titles (i.e. choose a column below):
Renaming Installation guide is of course not a choice, so maybe we could use the "Installation" column.
There's also VMware/Installing Arch as a guest, and VirtualBox#Installation steps for Arch Linux guests and LVM#Installing Arch Linux on LVM could be split out as well (Talk:LVM#Move Installing Arch Linux on LVM to a separate page).
- I prefer "Install Arch Linux" or "Install".
- I don't think the VirtualBox section should be slit out, the article is not that long and the current page structure is good enough.
- Additionally, if we're renaming "Installing Arch Linux on a USB key", I think the move template of that page should be addressed.
- -- nl6720 (talk) 03:42, 17 October 2019 (UTC)
- On a second thought, omitting "Arch Linux" may induce some people to think that "installation" refers to packages or other piece of software. I'd be fine with "Install Arch Linux" too (second column).
- About VirtualBox#Installation steps for Arch Linux guests, it was just an idea, but indeed it was better to flag it with Move first, which I've just done.
- The Move template in Installing Arch Linux on a USB key now links to this discussion, I think it could make sense, although the article may need to be reworded here and there to refer more generically to removable media.
- -- Kynikos (talk) 15:13, 17 October 2019 (UTC)
- Also Dm-crypt/Encrypting_an_entire_system.
- Is there an agreed upon approach for stackable installation options? For example, it's not a stretch to imagine Installing Arch Linux on LVM on dm-crypt on a USB stick. From existing Linux :) If we can separate those topics, then users can mix & match the options they want to use.
- Thesqueakychair (talk) 02:35, 18 October 2019 (UTC)
- About Dm-crypt/Encrypting_an_entire_system, that's already a collection of scenarios to show schematically how to mix & match instructions from other pages, including for example Dm-crypt/Device encryption and LVM, which host the in-depth information (your reference to separating topics). We need pages that briefly show how to integrate various system components together because some cases such as system encryption would be very hard to figure out only from the separate topic pages. About your LVM-on-dm-crypt-on-USB-stick example, it could be argued that once the fixed-storage version is understood, applying it to a portable drive would be a trivial adaptation, so not worth maintaining it here. -- Kynikos (talk) 16:27, 18 October 2019 (UTC)
- Thanks, I've just implemented the 5 base renames then, plus I also thought that renaming VMware/Installing Arch as a guest would make sense too.
- To recap, the remaining pages with Move templates that directly or indirectly link here are:
- -- Kynikos (talk) 08:21, 15 December 2019 (UTC)
- After some thinking, I'm not against splitting off VirtualBox#Installation steps for Arch Linux guests (and also LVM#Installing Arch Linux on LVM). Some subsections of VirtualBox#Troubleshooting and VirtualBox#Known issues would need to be moved too, but it doesn't look that hard to distinguish between the ones relevant to the hosts and guests. -- nl6720 (talk) 07:13, 16 December 2019 (UTC)
- I've updated the link in Installing Arch Linux on a USB key to point to Talk:Install Arch Linux on a USB key#Change page's name, so that doesn't depend on this discussion anymore.
- About the VirtualBox and LVM sections, I restate my position in favor of splitting, especially because the resulting pages could be added to Category:Installation process.
- Good point about VirtualBox#Troubleshooting and VirtualBox#Known issues.
- -- Kynikos (talk) 13:52, 16 December 2019 (UTC)