PDF, PS and DjVu
- 1 Engines
- 2 Viewers
- 3 Annotation
- 4 Graphical PDF editing
- 5 Command-line tools
- 6 Libraries
- 7 See also
libspectre ( ) is a small library for rendering Postscript documents.
Ghostscript ( ) is an interpreter for PostScript and PDF.
DjVuLibre ( ) is a suite to create, manipulate and view DjVu documents.
|apvlv||AUR||Poppler||✘||DjVuLibre||✘||GPLv2||Has Vim keybindings, supports UMD and TXT files.|
|Atril||Poppler||libspectre||DjVuLibre||✔||GPLv2||Fork of Evince, part of MATE, supports DVI, EPS, EPUB, TIFF, XPS and Comicbook.|
|DjView||✘||✘||DjVuLibre||✔||GPLv2||By the developers of DjVuLibre.|
|Emacs||Ghostscript*||DjVuLibre*||✘||GPLv3||See also pdf-tools for improved pdf support and the djvu package for djvu support.|
|Evince||Poppler||libspectre||DjVuLibre||✔||GPLv2||Part of GNOME, supports DVI, EPS, TIFF, XPS and Comicbook.|
|Foxit Reader||AUR||custom||✘||✘||✔||proprietary||Small and fast (compared to Acrobat) proprietary PDF viewer.|
|gv||Ghostscript||✘||✘||GPLv3||Graphical user interface for the Ghostscript interpreter.|
|llpp||libmupdf||✘||✘||✔||GPLv3||Based on MuPDF, supports continuous page scrolling and bookmarking.|
|MuPDF||custom||✘||✘||✔||AGPLv3||Supports EPUB, FictionBook, XPS, Comicbook and CJK.|
|Okular||Poppler||libspectre||DjVuLibre||✔||GPL, LGPL||Part of KDE, supports CHM, Comicbook, DVI, EPUB, FictionBook, Mobipocket, ODT, Plucker, TIFF and XPS.|
|pdfpc||Poppler||✘||✘||✘||GPLv2||Presenter console with multi-monitor support for PDF files.|
|qpdfview||Poppler||libspectre*||DjVuLibre*||✔||GPLv2||Tabbed Qt interface, supports CUPS printing.|
|Xpdf||custom||✘||✘||✘||GPLv3||Can decode LZW and read encrypted PDFs.|
|Xreader||Poppler||libspectre*||DjVuLibre*||✔||GPLv2||Fork of Evince, developed by Linux Mint, supports DVI, EPUB, TIFF, XPS and Comicbook.|
|Zathura||Poppler* / libmupdf*||libspectre*||DjVuLibre*||✔||zlib||Customizable with plugins, functional, supports Comicbook.|
- (* means optional)
The PDF forms column in the above table refers to AcroForms support. If you do not need your input to be directly extractable from the PDF, you can also use the applications in #Annotation or #Graphical PDF editing to put text on top of a PDF. PDF forms can be created with LibreOffice Writer (View > Toolbars > Form Controls) and the advanced PDF editors.
- Adobe Reader — Discontinued proprietary PDF file viewer by Adobe, supports both AcroForms and XFA forms.
- ePDFView — Lightweight PDF document viewer using the Poppler and GTK+ libraries. Development stopped.
- fbgs — Poor man's PostScript/pdf viewer for the linux framebuffer console.
- fbpdf — Small framebuffer PDF and DjVu viewer based off of MuPDF, with Vim keybindings and written in C
- JFBView — Framebuffer PDF and image viewer. Features include Vim-like controls, zoom-to-fit, a TOC (outline) view, fast multi-threaded rendering and asynchronous pre-caching. Originally a fork of fbpdf called jfbpdf, now completely rewritten.
- flpsed — A PostScript and PDF annotator, only supports text boxes.
Graphical PDF editing
- Scribus can import and export PDF; text is imported as polygons.
- LibreOffice Draw can import and export PDF; text is imported as text; embedded fonts are substituted.
- Inkscape can import a single page from a PDF and export to PDF; text is imported as cloned glyphs or text; with the latter embedded fonts are substituted.
- Graphics editors like GIMP and can also import and export PDFs at the cost of rasterization.
- PDF Chain — GTK front-end for PDFtk, written in C++, supporting concatenation, burst, watermarks, attaching files and more.
- PDF Mix Tool — Qt front-end for PoDoFo, written in C++, supports splitting, merging, rotating and mixing PDF files.
- PDF Mod — Reorder, rotate, and remove pages, export images from a document, edit the title, subject, author, and keywords, and combine documents via drag and drop.
- PDF-Shuffler — GTK2 front-end for pyPdf, written in Python, supports concatenation, splitting, rotation and reordering.
- Master PDF Editor — Functional proprietary PDF editor. Free for non-commercial use.
- https://code-industry.net/free-pdf-editor/ || AUR, AUR for older version without restrictions
- PDFsam — Open source application, written in Java, supports merging, splitting, rotating and some premium features.
- PDF Studio — All-in-one proprietary PDF editor similar to Adobe Acrobat.
- PDFtk — Simple tool for doing everyday things with PDF documents
- http://www.pdfhacks.com/pdftk || AUR, AUR
- Stapler — Light alternative to PDFtk using the PyPDF2 library.
- https://github.com/hellerbarde/stapler || AUR, AUR
- QPDF — Content-preserving PDF transformation system.
- pdfgrep — Commandline utility to search text in PDF files.
- pdf2svg — Convert PDF files to SVG files.
- mupdf-tools — Tools developed as part of MuPDF, contains and muraster.
- Ghostscript, see also
/usr/share/doc/ghostscript/*/Use.htm(online). Ghostscript also provides many wrapper scripts like ps2pdf and pdf2ps. from
- DjVuLibre provides many command-line tools, like for example.
- pdf2djvu — Creates DjVu files from PDF files.
- img2djvu — Single-pass DjVu encoder based on DjVu Libre and ImageMagick
Create a PDF from images
$ gm convert one.jpg two.jpg three.jpg out.pdf
$ pdfinfo file.pdf
$ exiftool file.pdf
Optimize a PDF
$ ps2pdf -dPDFSETTINGS=/screen in.pdf out.pdf
For different settings see the documentation.
There is alsoAUR, a third-party wrapper script.
Encrypt a PDF
The user password is used for encryption, the owner password to restrict operations once the document is decrypted, for more information, see Wikipedia:PDF#Security and signatures.
$ pdftk in.pdf output out.pdf user_pw password
$ podofoencrypt -u user_password -o owner_password in.pdf out.pdf
$ qpdf --encrypt user_password owner_password key_length -- in.pdf out.pdf
key_length can be 40, 128 or 256.
Decrypt a PDF
This section lists commands to decrypt a PDF to an unencrypted file. Note that most PDF viewers also support encrypted PDFs.
$ pdftk in.pdf input_pw password output out.pdf
$ qpdf --decrypt --password=password in.pdf out.pdf
With Poppler to PostScript:
$ pdftops -upw password in.pdf out.ps
$ pdftk one.pdf two.pdf three.pdf cat output out.pdf
$ pdfunite one.pdf two.pdf three.pdf out.pdf
$ qpdf --empty --pages one.pdf two.pdf three.pdf -- out.pdf
Extract page range from PDF
With PDFtk as a single file:
$ pdftk infile.pdf cat first-last output outfile.pdf
With Poppler as separate files:
$ pdfseparate -f first -l last infile.pdf outfileroot-%d.pdf
With QPDF as a single file:
$ qpdf --empty --pages infile.pdf first-last -- outfile.pdf
Rasterize a PDF
With GraphicsMagick to convert a specific page:
$ gm convert -density dpi infile.pdf[page] outfile.jpg
With Poppler to convert all pages:
$ pdftoppm -jpeg -r dpi in.pdf infile.pdf outfileroot
With Poppler to convert a specific page:
$ pdftoppm -jpeg -r dpi in.pdf -f page -singlefile infile.pdf outfileroot
- libharu — C library for generating PDF documents.
- https://github.com/libharu/libharu || , Lua binding: AUR
- PoDoFo — A C++ library to work with the PDF file format.
- pdfrw — A pure Python library that reads and writes PDFs.
- pyPdf — Discontinued predecessor of PyPDF2.
- PyPDF2 — A pure-Python library built as a PDF toolkit.
- https://mstamy2.github.com/PyPDF2 || AUR, AUR
- PyX — Python library for the creation of PostScript and PDF files.
- ReportLab — A proven industry-strength PDF generating solution