Help talk:Article naming guidelines
Long article names and subpages
While I agree that article names should be descriptive, long article names harm the readability of subpage names.
- Advanced Linux Sound Architecture/Example Configurations vs. ALSA/Example Configurations
- Unified Extensible Firmware Interface/Hardware vs. UEFI/Hardware
- Apache HTTP Server/mod fcgid vs. Apache/mod fcgid
The long names would redirect to the short names. While naming Apache HTTP Server "Apache" is a bit misleading the latter currently redirects to the former anyway.
- I would be for changing the name from the longer version to a more concise abbreviation instead. The longer name "Advanced Linux Sound Architecture" just pollutes the view and takes significantly longer to read than just ALSA, making bookmarks or viewing the page from the tab bar just impractical. I just think that instead of making the titles needlessly complex, just use a universal abbreviation that basically EVERYONE understands who uses with Linux systems whether they are professionals or just trying to figure out how to setup their audio properly.
- I don't feel as if redirects will do the simplification justice, it won't take much work to transfer the pages and delete the old ones. Hell, I'd even volunteer to do it if nobody else will.
- ~Mycatfishsteve (talk) 11:05, 20 May 2018 (UTC)
- I like this proposal, relevant rule - #Shorten article names, not to be confused with #Descriptive names, "ALSA" and "UEFI" are descriptive names of those technologies and can't be mistaken for anything else. See also wp:Acronyms in page titles. -- Svito (talk) 22:47, 20 May 2018 (UTC)
Move subpages with long parent names
I propose we move subpages with long parent names to increase their title readability:
- Advanced Linux Sound Architecture/Example Configurations → ALSA example configurations
- Unified Extensible Firmware Interface/Hardware → UEFI hardware
- That goes totally against all current conventions of grouping related pages as subpages of the main page... -- Lahwaacz (talk) 18:58, 20 May 2018 (UTC)