List of applications/Security
For detailed guides, see the main ArchWiki page, Security.
See also Wikipedia:Comparison of packet analyzers.
- Arpwatch — Tool that monitors ethernet activity and keeps a database of Ethernet/IP address pairings.
- bettercap — Swiss army knife for network attacks and monitoring.
- Bro — Powerful network analysis framework that is much different from the typical IDS you may know.
- https://www.bro.org/ || AUR
- darkstat — Captures network traffic, calculates statistics about usage, and serves reports over HTTP.
- dsniff — Collection of tools for network auditing and penetration testing.
- EtherApe — Graphical network monitor for Unix modeled after etherman. Featuring link layer, IP and TCP modes, it displays network activity graphically. Hosts and links change in size with traffic. Color coded protocols display.
- Ettercap — Multipurpose Network sniffer/analyser/interceptor/logger.
- https://ettercap.github.io/ettercap/ || CLI: , GUI:
- GNOME Network Tools — GNOME interface for various networking tools.
- Honeyd — Tool that allows the user to set up and run multiple virtual hosts on a computer network.
- http://www.honeyd.org/ || AUR
- hping — Command-line oriented TCP/IP packet assembler/analyzer.
- IPTraf — Console-based network monitoring utility.
- jnettop — top-like console network traffic visualizer.
- justniffer — Network protocol analyzer that captures network traffic and produces logs in a customized way, can emulate Apache web server log files, track response times and extract all "intercepted" files from the HTTP traffic.
- Kismet — 802.11 layer2 wireless network detector, sniffer, and intrusion detection system.
- LinSSID — Graphical wireless scanner.
- Nemesis — Command-line network packet crafting and injection utility.
- Net Activity Viewer — Graphical network connections viewer, similar in functionality with Netstat.
- netsniff-ng — High performance Linux network sniffer for packet inspection.
- http://netsniff-ng.org/ || AUR
- ngrep — grep-like utility that allows you to search for network packets on an interface.
- Nmap — Security scanner used to discover hosts and services on a computer network, thus creating a "map" of the network.
- Ntop — Network probe that shows network usage in a way similar to what top does for processes.
- pyNeighborhood — GTK+ based SMB/CIFS browsing utility.
- Smb4K — Advanced network neighborhood browser and Samba share mounting utility for KDE.
- Snort — Network intrusion prevention and detection system.
- https://www.snort.org/ || AUR
- Spectools — A set of utilities for spectrum analyzer hardware including Wi-Spy devices.
- Sshguard — Daemon that protects SSH and other services against brute-force attacts, similar to Fail2ban.
- Suricata — High performance Network IDS, IPS and Network Security Monitoring engine.
- https://suricata-ids.org/ || AUR
- Tcpdump — Common console-based packet analyzer that allows the user to intercept and display TCP/IP and other packets being transmitted or received over a network.
- tcptrace — TCP dump file analysis tool.
- vnStat — Console-based network traffic monitor that keeps a log of network traffic for the selected interfaces.
- Wireshark — Network protocol analyzer that lets you capture and interactively browse the traffic running on a computer network.
- https://www.wireshark.org/ || CLI: , GTK+: , Qt:
- Xplico — Network forensics analysis tool (NFAT), which is a software that reconstructs the contents of acquisitions performed with a packet sniffer.
- https://www.xplico.org/ || AUR
Threat and vulnerability detection
- AFICK — Security tool that allows to monitor the changes on your files systems, and so can detect intrusions.
- Lynis — Security and system auditing tool to harden Unix/Linux systems.
- Metasploit Framework — An advanced open-source platform for developing, testing, and using exploit code.
- Nessus — Comprehensive vulnerability scanning program.
- OpenVAS — Framework of several services and tools offering a comprehensive and powerful vulnerability scanning and vulnerability management solution. FOSS Nessus fork.
- OSSEC — Open Source Host-based Intrusion Detection System that performs log analysis, file integrity checking, policy monitoring, rootkit detection, real-time alerting and active response.
- https://ossec.github.io/ || AUR AUR AUR
- Samhain — Host-based intrusion detection system (HIDS) provides file integrity checking and log file monitoring/analysis, as well as rootkit detection, port monitoring, detection of rogue SUID executables, and hidden processes.
- Tiger — Security tool that can be use both as a security audit and intrusion detection system.
- http://www.nongnu.org/tiger/ || AUR
- Tripwire — Intrusion detection system.
- AIDE — File and directory integrity checker.
- Logcheck — Simple utility which is designed to allow a system administrator to view the logfiles which are produced upon hosts under their control.
- Logwatch — Customizable log analysis system.
- OpenDLP — OpenDLP is a free and open source, agent- and agentless-based, centrally-managed, massively distributable data loss prevention tool.
- ClamAV — Open source antivirus engine for detecting trojans, viruses, malware & other malicious threats.
- ClamTk — Graphical front-end for ClamAV using Perl and Gtk libraries. It is designed to be an easy-to-use, lightweight, on-demand antivirus scanner for Linux systems.
- https://dave-theunsub.github.io/clamtk/ || , Nautilus plugin: AUR, MATE plugin: AUR, Thunar plugin: AUR
- Linux Malware Detect — Malware scanner designed around the threats faced in shared hosted environments.
- Rootkit Hunter — Checks machines for the presence of rootkits and other unwanted tools.
- Hostsblock — A script that downloads, sorts, and compiles multiple ad- and malware-blocking hosts files.
- Déjà Dup — Simple GTK+ backup program. It hides the complexity of doing backups the 'right way' (encrypted, off-site, and regular) and uses duplicity as the backend.
- Duplicati — Backup client that securely stores encrypted, incremental, compressed backups on cloud storage services and remote file servers.
- http://www.duplicati.com/ || AUR
- duplicity — Simple command-line utility which allows encrypted compressed incremental backup to nearly any storage.
- Duply — Command-line front-end for duplicity which simplifies running it. It manages backup job settings in profiles and allows to batch execute commands.
- http://www.duply.net/ || AUR
- Tarsnap — Secure, efficient proprietary online backup service.
Warning: Only sflock, physlock, Cinnamon Screensaver, MATE Screensaver and GNOME Screensaver are able to block tty access. See Xorg#Block TTY access on how to manually block tty access.
- Cinnamon Screensaver — Screen locker for the Cinnamon desktop.
- GNOME Screensaver — Screen locker for the GNOME Flashback desktop.
- i3lock — A simple screen locker. Provides user feedback, uses PAM authentication, supports DPMS. The background can be set to an image or solid color.
- i3lock-blur — Fork of i3lock which can use your desktop with the blur effect applied as a background.
- i3lock-wrapper — A simple wrapper around i3lock which sets up a blurred screenshot of the desktop as a background image.
- Light-locker — A simple locker (forked from gnome-screensaver) that aims to have simple, sane, secure defaults and be well integrated with the desktop while not carrying any desktop-specific dependencies. It relies on LightDM for locking and unlocking your session via ConsoleKit/UPower or logind/systemd.
- MATE Screensaver — Screensaver and locker for MATE Desktop Environment.
- physlock — Screen and console locker.
- sflock — Simple screen locker utility for X, based on slock. Provides a very basic user feedback.
- slock — Very simple and lightweight X screen locker. Offers only a black background when locked, there are no animations or text fields.
- sxlock — Fork of sflock with a few enhancements. Provides basic user feedback, uses PAM authentication, supports DPMS and RandR. Supports
sxlock.serviceto lock the screen on suspend/hibernation. See the README for more information.
- tsscreenlock — Screen locker used in theShell. Shows music controls, and if used with theShell, also shows desktop notifications.
- xlockmore — Simple X11 screen lock with PAM support.
- XScreenSaver — Screen saver and locker for the X Window System.
- XSecureLock — X11 screen lock utility designed with the primary goal of security.
- xtrlock — Very lightweight X display locker. Keeps windows visible and displays lock icon instead of mouse cursor. Typing password followed by enter unlocks the screen.
- cfv — Tiny utility to both test and create checksum files, support
- GtkHash — A GTK+ utility for computing message digests or checksums
- hashdeep — A cross-platform tools to computer hashes, or message digests, for any number of files
- Parano — A GNOME frontend for creating/editing/checking MD5 and SFV files
- http://parano.berlios.de/ || AUR
- Quick Hash GUI — A GUI to enable the rapid selection and subsequent hashing of files (individually or recursively throughout a folder structure) text and (on Linux) disks.
- RHash — Utility for verifying hash sums (SFV, CRC, etc). Supports lots of algorithms.
- MassHash — A set of file hashing tools (both CLI and GTK+ GUI) written in Python. Supported algorithms include MD5, SHA-1, SHA-224, SHA-256, SHA-384, SHA-512.
- Parchive — Utility which creates and uses PAR2 files to detect damage in data files and repair them if necessary.
Encryption, signing, steganography
- ccrypt — A command-line utility for encrypting and decrypting files and streams.
- Enigmail — A security extension to Mozilla Thunderbird and Seamonkey. It enables you to write and receive email messages signed and/or encrypted with the OpenPGP standard.
- https://enigmail.net || AUR
- GNOME Keysign — GTK/GNOME application to use GnuPG for signing other people's keys. Quickly, easily, and securely.
- GnuPG — The GNU project's complete and free implementation of the OpenPGP standard as defined by RFC4880. Free and Open Source replacement of PGP, mostly used for digital signing of packages.
- GPG-Crypter — Graphical front-end to GnuPG(GPG) using the GTK3 toolkit and GPGME library.
- gzsteg — Utility that can hide data in gzip compressed files
- Keybase — Key directory mapping social media identities, with cross platform encrypted chat, cloud storage, and git repositories.
- KGpg — Simple interface for GnuPG, for KDE.
- Kleopatra — Certificate Manager and Unified Crypto GUI for KDE. It supports managing X.509 and OpenPGP certificates in the GpgSM keybox and retrieving certificates from LDAP servers.
- minisign — Simple program that only inplements key signing
- Seahorse — GNOME application for managing encryption keys and passwords in the GNOME Keyring.
- steghide — A steganography utility that is able to hide data in various kinds of image and audio files.
- Bitwarden — Open source password manager with desktop, mobile, browser, and CLI versions. Cloud or self-hosted.
- https://bitwarden.com/ || AUR, AUR
- Encryptr — Zero-knowledge, cloud-based password manager.
- Enpass — A multiplatform password manager
- https://www.enpass.io/ || AUR
- Figaro's Password Manager 2 — GTK2 port of Figaro's Password Manager with some new enhancements.
- https://als.regnet.cz/fpm2/ || AUR
- gopass — Advanced console based password manager, supporting GnuPG and other backends.
- GPass — Password manegement software for GNOME2 desktop.
- Ked Password Manager — A password manager that helps to manage large numbers of passwords.
- http://kedpm.sourceforge.net || AUR
- KeePass Password Safe — Mono-based password manager, which helps you to manage your passwords in a secure way.
- KeePassC — Curses-based password manager compatible to KeePass v.1.x.
- KeePassX — Qt-based password manager. Compatible with KeePass v.1.x and KeePass v.2.x.
- https://www.keepassx.org/ || version 1: , version 2:
- KeePassXC — Community fork of KeePassX with more active development. Compatible with KeePass v.1.x (import only) and KeePass v.2.x.
- KWalletManager — Tool to manage the passwords on your system. By using the KDE wallet subsystem it not only allows you to keep your own secrets but also to access and manage the passwords of every application that integrates with the wallet.
- LastPass — Hosted password manager.
- MyPasswords — What you need for managing your passwords, including the passwords of your online accounts, bank accounts and ... with the corresponding URLs.
- OTPClient — Highly secure and easy to use GTK+ software for two-factor authentication that supports both Time-based One-time Passwords (TOTP) and HMAC-Based One-Time Passwords (HOTP).
- pass — Simple console based password manager, using GnuPG encryption.
- Password Gorilla — A cross-platform password manager.
- Password Safe — Simple and secure password manager.
- https://pwsafe.org/ || AUR
- pwsafe — Unix commandline program that manages encrypted password databases.
- QPass — Easy to use password manager with built-in password generator.
- QtPass — GUI for pass, the standard unix password manager.
- Revelation — Password manager for the GNOME desktop.
- spm — Simple Password Manager written entirely in POSIX shell using PGP. Fast, lightweight and easily scriptable.
- https://notabug.org/kl3/spm/ || AUR
- Seahorse — GNOME application for managing encryption keys and passwords in the GNOME Keyring.
- Universal Password Manager — Allows you to store usernames, passwords, URLs and generic notes in an encrypted database protected by one master password.
- http://upm.sourceforge.net/ || AUR