From HylaFAX home page:
- HylaFAX is an enterprise-class system for sending and receiving facsimiles as well as for sending alpha-numeric pages. The software is designed around a client-server architecture. Fax modems may reside on a single machine on a network and clients can submit an outbound job from any other machine on the network. Client software is designed to be lightweight and easy to port. HylaFAX is designed to be very robust and reliable. The fax server is designed to guard against unexpected failures in the software, in the configuration, in the hardware and in general use. HylaFAX can support multiple modems and a heavy traffic load. If you expect to send more than a few facsimiles a day, then HylaFAX is the fax package for you!
- 1 Setup
- 2 Tips and tricks
- 3 Frontends for HylaFAX
It could be that you need a MTA installed like Postfix:
- After installation please run
# faxsetup. Answer the questions and modify to your needs.
# faxaddmodem. It asks you for the device, leave out the
/devprefix; only enter eg. modem, ttyS0 or such things.
- Answer the other questions, important ones could be the ringtones, max pages, permissions on files or your the name that should be shown.
- Enable systemd service for the daemon. Assuming your modem is on ttyS0, the service would be
- You will probably need to start 3 daemons at boot; faxgetty@ttyS0, hfaxd, and faxq. See Daemons#Starting on boot[broken link: invalid section]. To start manually, see Daemons#Starting manually[broken link: invalid section].
Your received faxes will be saved in
/var/spool/hylafax/rcvq/ and deleted after 30 days. Your sent faxes will be saved in
Tips and tricks
You can create a FaxDispatch file that will allow you to convert incoming faxes to pdf or other and direct where these are sent. Examples are all over the Internet, but be aware that FaxDispatch does not go into
/etc, but rather into
A simple FaxDispatch that converts to pdf and sends the fax to a particular address would be:
HylaFAX defaults are made for North America settings. Pagesize of send faxes can be adjusted in
/usr/lib/fax/pagesizes for A4 default setup please change the file to that:
---snip Japanese Legal JP-LEG 12141 17196 11200 15300 900 400 # #default NA-LET 10200 13200 9240 12400 472 345 default A4 9920 14030 9240 13200 472 345 ---snap
No dialtone error or if you are a laptop user
If you need a special number to get the Dialtone add this to:
ModemDialCmd line, and change
For laptop users it might be helpfull to deactivate the dialtone check
ModemDialCmd line, and change
Automatic fax printing
Add this to
/var/spool/hylafax/bin/faxrcvd at the end:
/usr/bin/tiff2ps -a -h 11.1082 -w 7.8543 $FILE | /usr/bin/lpr -P yourprintername
This setup is for A4 pagesize, adjust -h and -w to your needs if you need an other size.
Disabling MTA actions
Normally HylaFAX uses a MTA to receive faxes, if you do not need that change, your
Enable automatic printing of notifications
If you want notifications to be printed out and not mailed, change your
alwaysand at the end of that file.
- Comment this line:
) || 2>&1 $SENDMAIL -f$FROMADDR -oi -t
- Add this as next line:
) || 2>&1 lpr -P ''yourprinter'' -p
Remember to add your changed file to pacmans NoUpgrade list else your changes might get lost on update.
faxstat (shows you the status of HylaFAX) faxstat -s (shows you the send status) faxstat -r (shows received faxes) faxalter -a now jobid (forces send retry now) faxrm jobid (deletes fax from sendqueue)
For more options please read the manpages of each program.
Frontends for HylaFAX
- Avantfax is a PHP56, MySQL enterprise class frontend to HylaFAX (by one of the HylaFAX developers David Mimms). Get it here: http://www.avantfax.com/download.php
- kfax is a nice app to view the received tiff files.
- KDE has a printer to send your document to fax, change it to use the HylaFAX backend.
- WFHC is a nice HylaFAX client for Windows. Get it here: http://www.uli-eckhardt.de/whfc/.
- SuSEfax is also a nice client for Windows. Get it here: ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/discontinued/i386/SuSEFax_WIN32.