List of applications/Multimedia
- 1 Multimedia
- 1.1 Codecs
- 1.2 Image
- 1.3 Audio
- 1.4 Video
- 1.5 Mobile phone managers
- 1.6 Digital camera managers
- 1.7 Optical media burning
- 1.8 Podcasts
- 1.9 Collection managers
- 1.10 Lyrics fetchers
See the main article: Codecs.
See also Wikipedia:Comparison of image viewers.
- fbi — Image viewer for the linux framebuffer console.
- fbv — Very simple graphic file viewer for the framebuffer console.
- fim — Highly customizable and scriptable framebuffer image viewer based on fbi.
- jfbview — Framebuffer PDF and image viewer based on Imlib2. Features include Vim-like controls, rotation and zoom, zoom-to-fit, and fast multi-threaded rendering.
- Deepin Image Viewer — Image viewer for the Deepin desktop environment.
- Ephoto — A light image viewer based on EFL.
- Eye of GNOME — Image viewing and cataloging program, which is a part of the GNOME desktop environment.
- Eye of MATE — Simple graphics viewer for the MATE desktop.
- EyeSight — Image viewer for the Hawaii desktop environment.
- feh — Fast, lightweight image viewer that uses imlib2.
- GalaPix — OpenGL-based image viewer for simultaneously viewing and zooming large collections of image files,
- Geeqie — Image browser and viewer (fork of GQview) that adds additional functionality such as support for RAW files.
- Gimmage — Gtkmm image viewer.
- GNOME Photos — Access, organize, and share your photos on GNOME.
- GPicView — Simple and fast image viewer for X, which is part of the LXDE desktop.
- http://lxde.sourceforge.net/gpicview/ || GTK+ 2: , GTK+ 3:
- GQview — Image browser that features single click access to view images and move around the directory tree
- gThumb — Image viewer for the GNOME desktop.
- Gwenview — Fast and easy to use image viewer for the KDE desktop.
- imv — Lightweight image viewer with support for Wayland and animated GIFs which uses FreeImage.
- LxImage-Qt — The LXQt image viewer.
- meh — meh is a small, simple, super fast image viewer using raw XLib.
- Mirage — PyGTK image viewer featuring support for crop and resize, custom actions and a thumbnail panel.
- nomacs — Free (GPLv3) Qt image viewer for many operating systems. It is feature-rich but starts fast and can be configured to show additional widgets or only the image.
- Pantheon Photos — Image viewer for Pantheon.
- Phototonic — Fast and functional image viewer and organizer (Qt).
- PhotoQt — Fast and highly configurable image viewer with a simple and nice interface.
- http://photoqt.org/ || AUR
- qimgv — Fast and easy to use Qt5 image viewer. Supports webm/mp4 playback via mpv.
- Quick Image Viewer — Very small and fast image viewer based on GTK+ and imlib2.
- Ristretto — Fast and lightweight image viewer for the Xfce desktop environment.
- Shotwell — A digital photo organizer designed for the GNOME desktop environment
- shufti — shufti non-destructively saves and restores the zoom level, rotation, window size, desktop location and viewing area on a per-image/file location basis
- sxiv — Simple image viewer based on imlib2 that works well with tiling window managers.
- Viewnior — Minimalistic GTK+ image viewer featuring support for flipping, rotating, animations and configurable mouse actions.
- Vimiv — An image viewer with vim-like keybindings. It is written in python3 using the Gtk3 toolkit.
- Xloadimage — Classic X image viewer.
- XnView MP — Efficient proprietary image viewer, browser and converter.
- xv — Shareware program written by John Bradley to display and modify digital images under the X Window System. Last released in 1994.
- http://www.trilon.com/xv/ || AUR
Graphics and image manipulation
- AzPainter — A Painting software.
- darktable — Photography workflow and RAW development application.
- RawTherapee — A powerful cross-platform raw image processing program.
- dcraw — Converts many camera RAW formats.
- digiKam — KDE-based image organizer with built-in editing features via a plugin architecture. digiKam asserts it is more full featured than similar applications with a larger set of image manipulation features including RAW image import and manipulation.
- GIMP — Image editing suite in the vein of proprietary editors such as Adobe Photoshop. GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) has been started in the mid 1990s and has acquired a large number of plugins and additional tools.
- G'MIC — Full-featured open-source framework for image processing, providing several different user interfaces to convert/manipulate/filter/visualize generic image datasets, ranging from 1d scalar signals to 3d+t sequences of multi-spectral volumetric images, including 2d color images.
- GraphicsMagick — Fork of ImageMagick designed to have API and command-line stability. It also supports multi-CPU for enhanced performance and thus is used by some large commercial sites (Flickr, etsy) for its performance.
- ImageMagick — Command-line image manipulation program. It is known for its accurate format conversions with support for over 100 formats. Its API enables it to be scripted and it is usually used as a backend processor.
- KolourPaint — Free raster graphics editor for KDE, similar to Microsoft's Paint application before Windows 7, but with some additional features such as support for transparency. Part of and groups.
- Krita — Digital painting and illustration software included based on the KDE platform.
- Luminance HDR — Open source graphical user interface application that aims to provide a workflow for HDR imaging.
- mtPaint — Graphics editing program geared towards creating indexed palette images and pixel art.
- MyPaint — Free software graphics application for digital painters.
- Pinta — Drawing and editing program modeled after Paint.NET. Its goal is to provide a simplified alternative to GIMP for casual users.
- XPaint — Color image editing tool which features most standard paint program options.
Vector graphics - illustration
- Asymptote — A descriptive vector graphics language (like PGF/TikZ and Metapost) with a C-like syntax and LaTeX support.
- Dia — GTK+-based diagram creation program.
- Graphviz — Set of tools for drawing graphs in the descriptive DOT language.
- Gravit Designer — Vector graphics design tool - For Users of All Skills and Profession
- https://designer.io/ || AUR
- Inkscape — Vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, CorelDraw, or Xara X, using the SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) file format. Inkscape supports many advanced SVG features (markers, clones, alpha blending, etc.) and great care is taken in designing a streamlined interface. It is very easy to edit nodes, perform complex path operations, trace bitmaps and much more. It's developers also aim to maintain a thriving user and developer community by using open, community-oriented development.
- Mockingbot — Prototyping & collaboration design tool .
- http://mockingbot.com/ || AUR
- Karbon — Vector graphics editor, part of the Calligra Suite.
- Pencil Project — An open-source GUI prototyping and mockup tool.
- http://pencil.evolus.vn/ || AUR
- qasm2circ — Quantum circuit generator for latex
- sK1 — Replacement for Adobe Illustrator or CorelDraw, oriented for "prepress ready" PostScript & PDF output.
- yEd — General-purpose diagramming program for flowcharts, network diagrams, UML diagrams, BPMN diagrams, mind maps, organization charts, and Entity Relationship diagrams.
Vector graphics - CAD
- BRL-CAD — Constructive solid geometry (CSG) solid modeling computer-aided design (CAD) system that includes an interactive geometry editor, ray tracing support for graphics rendering and geometric analysis, computer network distributed framebuffer support, scripting, image-processing and signal-processing tools.
- http://brlcad.org/ || AUR
- DraftSight — Dassault Systemes' freeware 2D CAD application. DraftSight allows users to access DWG/DXF files, regardless of which CAD software was originally used to create them.
- FreeCAD — CAD/CAE program, based on OpenCascade, Qt and Python with features such as macro recording, workbenches and the ability to run as server.
- LeoCAD — CAD program for creating virtual LEGO models. It has an easy to use interface and currently includes over 6000 different pieces created by the LDraw community.
- http://leocad.org || AUR
- LibreCAD — Powerful 2D CAD application based on Qt. It has been forked from QCad Community Edition.
- OpenSCAD — Open source 2D/3D CAD using programmers approach.
- http://www.openscad.org || AUR
- QCAD — Powerful 2D CAD application that began in 1999. QCaD includes DFX standard file format and supports HPGL format.
- Art of Illusion — 3D modeling and rendering studio written in Java.
- Blender — Fully integrated 3D graphics creation suite capable of 3D modeling, texturing, and animation, among other things.
- Goxel — Open Source 3D voxel editor.
- MakeHuman™ — Parametrical modeling program for creating human bodies.
- http://www.makehuman.org/ || AUR
- Sweet Home 3D — Interior design software application for the planning and development of floor plans
- POV-Ray — Script-based raytracer for creating 3D graphics.
- VoxelShop — Extremely intuitive and powerful software to modify and create voxel objects.
- Wings 3D — Advanced subdivision modeler that is both powerful and easy to use.
See also: Taking a screenshot.
- wineasio — Provides an ASIO to JACK driver for wine. ASIO is the most common Windows low-latency driver, so is commonly used in audio workstation programs.
Music player daemons and clients
See also: List of MPD clients
- Music Player Daemon — Lightweight and scalable choice for music management.
- XMMS2 — Complete rewrite of the popular music player.
- cmus — Very feature-rich ncurses-based music player.
- Cplay — Curses front-end for various audio players (ogg123, mpg123, mpg321, splay, madplay, and mikmod, xmp, and sox).
- Herrie — Minimalistic console-based music player with native AudioScrobbler support.
- MOC — Ncurses console audio player with support for the MP3, OGG, and WAV formats.
- MPFC — Gstreamer-based audio player with curses interface.
- mpg123 — Fast free MP3 console audio player for Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, HP-UX and nearly all other UNIX systems (also decodes MP1 and MP2 files).
- mps-youtube — Terminal based YouTube jukebox with playlist management. Plays audio/video through mplayer/mpv.
- pancake — Cli pandora client built with urwid.
- pianobar — Console-based frontend for the online radio Pandora.
- VLC — Highly portable multimedia player with ncurses interface module, and multimedia framework capable of reading most audio and video formats as well as DVDs, Audio CDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols.
- whistle — a curses-based commandline audio player.
- Amarok — Mature Qt-based player known for its plethora of features.
- http://banshee.fm/ || AUR
- Clementine — Amarok 1.4 clone, ported to Qt 4.
- Cuberok — Music player and collection manager with a lightweight interface.
- DeaDBeeF — Light and fast music player with many features, no GNOME or KDE dependencies, supports console-only, as well as a GTK+ GUI, comes with many plugins, and has a metadata editor.
- Elisa — A simple music player aiming to provide a nice experience for its users.
- Exaile — GTK+ clone of Amarok.
- http://www.exaile.org/ || AUR
- gmusicbrowser — Open-source jukebox for large collections of MP3/OGG/FLAC files.
- https://gmusicbrowser.org/ || AUR
- GNOME Music — Music is the new GNOME music playing application. It aims to combine an elegant and immersive browsing experience with simple and straightforward controls.
- Goggles Music Manager — Music collection manager and player that automatically categorizes your music, supports gapless playback, features easy tag editing, and internet radio support. Uses the Fox toolkit.
- Guayadeque — Full featured media player that can easily manage large collections and uses the GStreamer media framework.
- http://guayadeque.org/ || AUR
- JuK — JuK is an audio jukebox application, supporting collections of MP3, Ogg Vorbis, and FLAC audio files.
- Kaku — An highly integrated music player supports different online platform like YouTube, SoundCloud, Vimeo and more.
- Listen — Listen is a Music player and management for GNOME written in python.
- https://launchpad.net/listen || AUR
- Lollypop — A GNOME music player.
- LXMusic — A minimalist xmms2-based music player.
- Miam-player — Cross-platform open source music player.
- https://miam-player.org/ || AUR
- Muine — A music player written in C Sharp.
- Musique — Just another music player, only better.
- Nightingale — Open source clone of iTunes-based on Songbird, that uses Mozilla technologies and the GStreamer framework.
- https://getnightingale.com/ || AUR
- Noise — Simple, fast, and good looking music player. The official elementary music player.
- Nuvola Player — Integrated Google Music, 8tracks and Hype Machine player.
- pithos — Python/GTK Pandora Radio desktop client.
- https://pithos.github.io/ || AUR
- Pragha — GTK+ music manager. (fork of the Consonance Music Manager)
- Qmmp — Qt-based multimedia player with a user interface that is similar to Winamp or XMMS.
- Quod Libet — Audio player written with PyGTK and GStreamer with support for regular expressions in playlists.
- Rhythmbox — GTK+ clone of iTunes, used by default in GNOME.
- Sayonara — Sayonara is a small, clear and fast audio player for Linux written in C++, supported by the Qt framework.
- https://sayonara-player.com/ || AUR
- Spotify — Proprietary music streaming service. It supports local playback and streaming from Spotify's vast library (requires a free account).
- https://www.spotify.com/ || AUR
- SpotCommander — A remote control for Spotify, optimized for mobile devices. It works on any device with a modern browser, and it's free and open source.
- Tomahawk — Music player application written in C++/Qt. It decouples the name of the song from the source it was shared from - and fulfills the request using all of your available sources.
- VLC — Highly portable multimedia player and multimedia framework capable of reading most audio and video formats as well as DVDs, Audio CDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols.
- XMMS — Skinnable GTK+ standalone media player similar to Winamp.
- https://legacy.xmms2.org/ || AUR
- Sonic Visualiser — Advanced player with waveform and spectrogram visualiser, playback speed control and selection looping. Very useful for transcribing.
- GVolWheel — An audio mixer which lets you control the volume through a tray icon.
- pa-applet — PulseAudio system tray applet with volume bar.
- PNMixer — A fork of Obmixer. It has many new features such as ALSA channel selection, connect/disconnect detection, shortcuts, etc.
- Volctl — Per-application volume control for GNU/Linux desktops.
- Volnoti — A lightweight volume notification daemon for GNU/Linux and other POSIX operating systems.
- Volti — A GTK application for controlling audio volume from system tray with an internal mixer and support for multimedia keys that uses only ALSA.
- VolumeIcon — Another volume control for your system tray with channel selection, themes and an external mixer.
- VolWheel — A little application which lets you control the sound volume easily through a tray icon you can scroll on.
- ProjectM — Music visualizer which uses 3D accelerated iterative image-based rendering.
- VSXu — Free to use program that lets you create and perform real-time audio visual presets.
- http://www.vsxu.com/ || AUR
- C.A.V.A. — Console-based audio visualizer for Alsa, MPD and PulseAudio.
- cavalcade — Python GUI wrapper for CAVA utility.
- cli-visualizer — A highly configurable CLI-based audio visualizer.
Audio tag editors
- Audio Tag Tool — Tool to edit tags in MP3 and Ogg Vorbis files.
- EasyTag — Utility for viewing, editing and writing ID3 tags of music files, supports many audio formats.
- Ex Falso — Cross-platform free and open source audio tag editor and library organizer.
- ID3 Mass Tagger — Command-line utility to edit ID3 1.x and 2.x tags.
- http://squell.github.io/id3/ || AUR
- Kid3 — MP3, Ogg/Vorbis, FLAC, MPC, MP4/AAC, MP2, Speex, TrueAudio, WavPack, WMA, WAV and AIFF files tag editor.
- MP3Info — MP3 technical info viewer and ID3 1.x tag editor.
- MusicBrainz Picard — Cross-platform audio tag editor written in Python (the official MusicBrainz tagger).
- Puddletag — Replacement for the famous MP3tag for Windows.
- taffy — Simple command-line tag editor for many audio formats.
- Tag Editor — A tag editor with Qt GUI and command-line interface supporting MP4/M4A/AAC (iTunes), ID3v1/ID3v2, Vorbis, Opus, FLAC and Matroska.
- Thunar Media Tags Plugin — Adds special features for media files to the Thunar File Manager, including the ability to edit tags.
- Qoobar — Universal QT-based audio tagger (specialized for classical music)
See also Professional audio.
- Ardour — Multichannel hard disk recorder and digital audio workstation.
- Audacity — Program that lets you manipulate digital audio waveforms.
- Bitwig Studio — Proprietary professional digital audio workstation.
- http://bitwig.com/ || AUR
- Gnac — Audio converter for GNOME.
- GNOME Sound Recorder — The Sound Recorder application enables you to record and play .flac, .ogg (OGG audio, or .oga), and .wav sound files.
- Jokosher — Non-linear multi-track digital audio editor that is being developed in Python, using the GTK+ interface and GStreamer as an audio back-end.
- KWave — Sound editor for KDE.
- LMMS — The Linux MultiMedia Studio. Free cross-platform software which allows you to produce music with your computer.
- Qtractor — Qt-based hard disk recorder and digital audio workstation application that aims to provide digital audio workstation software simple enough for the average home user, and yet powerful enough for the professional user.
- Rosegarden — Digital audio workstation program developed with ALSA and Qt that acts as an audio and MIDI sequencer, scorewriter and musical composition and editing tool.
- SoundConverter — A graphical application to convert audio files into different formats.
- soundKonverter — Qt-based GUI front-end to various audio converters.
- search in AUR || not packaged?
- XCFA — Tool to extract the contens of audio CDs and convert them to various formats.
- FFplay — Very simple and portable media player using the FFmpeg libraries and the SDL library.
- gst-play-1.0 — Simple command line playback testing tool for GStreamer.
- MPlayer — Video player that supports a complete and versatile array of video and audio formats.
- mpv — Movie player based on MPlayer and mplayer2.
- xine-ui — Free multimedia player.
- VLC media player (Ncurses interface) — Command-line version of the famous video player that can play smoothly high definition videos in the TTY. Can be launched with
vlc -I ncurses.
- Deepin Movie — Movie player based on QtAV.
- Dragon Player — Simple video player for KDE. Part of the group.
- GNOME Videos — Media player (audio and video) for the GNOME desktop that uses GStreamer. Part of
- Kaffeine — Very versatile KDE media player that, by default, utilizes VLC as its backend and has excellent support of digital TV (DVB).
- Parole — Modern media player based on the GStreamer framework.
- Rage — Video and audio player written with Enlightenment Foundation Libraries with some extra bells and whistles.
- Snappy — Powerful media player with a minimalistic interface that uses GStreamer.
- QMLPlayer — Simple media player based on QtAV.
- QMPlay2 — QMPlay2 is a QT based video player. It can play and stream all formats supported by ffmpeg and libmodplug. It has on integrated module system, which includes a Youtube browser.
- VLC media player — Middleweight video player with support for a wide variety of audio and video formats.
- Whaaw! Media Player — Lightweight GStreamer-based audio and video player that can serve as a good alternative to Totem for those who do not like all of those GNOME dependencies.
- http://home.gna.org/whaawmp/ || AUR
- Xnoise — GTK+ and GStreamer-based media player for both audio and video with "a slick GUI, great speed and lots of features." (development ceased)
- Aegisub — Subtitle editor.
- Gaupol — Full-featured subtitle editor.
- Gnome Subtitles — Video subtitle editor for GNOME.
- Jubler — Open-source multiplatform subtitle editor written in Java.
- http://www.jubler.org || AUR
- Penguin Subtitle Player — Penguin Subtitle Player is an open-source, cross-platform standalone subtitle player, as an alternative to Greenfish Subtitle Player, SrtViewer (Mac), SRTPlayer, JustSubsPlayer and Free Subtitle Player.
- subdl — Automatic subtitle downloader.
- Subtitle Composer — open-source Subtitle editor with Qt 5 based GUI supporting various formats, features different player backends, able to display wave form
- Subtitle Edit — Subtitle editing program. Written in C# using mono.
- SubtitlesPrinter — Print subtitles above a X-screen, independently of the video player.
- Avidemux — Free video editor designed for simple cutting, filtering and encoding tasks.
- FFmpeg — Complete, cross-platform solution to record, convert and stream audio and video.
- HandBrake-CLI — Simple yet powerful video transcoder ideal for batch mkv/x264 ripping.
- Avidemux — Free video editor designed for simple cutting, filtering and encoding tasks.
- Cinelerra (Community Version) — Professional video editing and compositing environment.
- Flowblade — Flowblade is a multitrack non-linear video editor for Linux, designed to provide a fast, robust editing experience.
- HandBrake — Simple yet powerful video transcoder ideal for batch mkv/x264 ripping. GTK+ version.
- Kdenlive — Non-linear video editor designed for basic to semi-professional work.
- Lightworks — A proprietary professional non-linear editing system for editing and mastering digital video in various formats.
- http://www.lwks.com/ || AUR
- LiVES — Video editor and VJ (live performance) platform.
- http://lives-video.com/ || AUR
- Open Shot — Non-linear video editor based on MLT framework.
- Pitivi — Video editor designed to be intuitive and integrate well in the GNOME desktop.
- Shotcut — Shotcut is a free, open source, cross-platform video editor.
- http://www.shotcut.org/ || AUR
- Transmageddon — Simple python application for transcoding video into formats supported by GStreamer.
- Blender — Fully integrated 3D graphics creation suite with a built-in non-linear video editor.
- VidCutter — Fast lossless media cutter + joiner w/ frame-accurate SmartCut options powered by mpv, FFmpeg via a sleek Qt5 GUI.
Screencast utilities allow you to create a video of your desktop or individual windows.
- byzanz — Simple screencast tool that produces GIF animations.
- Green Recorder — A simple yet functional desktop recorder for Linux systems.
- Istanbul — Simple desktop session recorder that produces ogg videos.
- Kazam — Screencasting program with design in mind. Handles multiscreen setups.
- https://launchpad.net/kazam || AUR
- OBS — Free and open source software for video recording and live streaming.
- RecordMyDesktop — (inactive) An easy to use utility that records your desktop into the ogg format with a CLI, Qt or GTK+ interface.
- simplescreenrecorder — A feature-rich screen recorder written in C++/Qt4 that supports X11 and OpenGL.
- vokoscreen — Simple screencast tool, GUI ffmpeg.
- XVidCap — Application used for recording a screencast or digital recording of an X Window System screen output with an audio narration.
- FFcast — FFmpeg-based screencast tool written in Bash.
- FFmpeg — Complete, cross-platform solution to record, convert and stream audio and video.
- peek — Simple screencast tool that produces GIF, APNG, WebM or MP4 animations.
- https://github.com/phw/peek || AUR
Mobile phone managers
- gnokii — Tools and user space driver for use with mobile phones.
- GNOME Phone Manager — Control your mobile phone from your GNOME desktop.
- KDE Connect — A project that aims to communicate all your devices.
Digital camera managers
Optical media burning
see Podcast clients
- Basenji — Volume indexing tool designed for easy and fast indexing of CD/DVD and other type of volume collections.
- Beets — Music library organizer, tagger and more.
- Demlo — Batch music tagger, encoder, renamer and more.
- GCstar — GNOME application for organizing various collections (board games, comic books, movies, stamps, etc.).
- http://www.gcstar.org/ || AUR
- Kodi — Application for organizing various collections and automatically retrieving info about them (video, music, photos).
- Tellico — KDE application for organizing various collections (books, video, music, coins, etc.).
- clyrics — An extensible lyrics fetcher, with daemon support for cmus and mocp.