Talk:Init

From ArchWiki
(Redirected from Talk:Init Rosetta)
Jump to: navigation, search

Subpages

Thank you Alad for all the updates and merging of the various init pages. Before fixing the remaining double redirects, which I could do in a few seconds with a bot, I was however wondering what was the criterion by which some pages were moved as subpages of Init, while others such as Minirc have been left where they were. In my opinion I would just leave all those articles as normal pages, and rely on better categorization instead. In general, I'd use subpages only when the root title would have to be repeated in the subpage title anyway, e.g. pacman/Tips and tricks vs pacman tips and tricks. — Kynikos (talk) 12:48, 20 July 2017 (UTC)

...and thank you for moving the articles back, closing. — Kynikos (talk) 16:56, 21 July 2017 (UTC)
After ~2 weeks, Category:Init does still not display all entries it contains... another caching issue? -- Alad (talk) 15:29, 1 August 2017 (UTC)
More likely our beloved job queue, perhaps we'll need to hire a MediaWiki Engineer for a week or two to get it configured properly... — Kynikos (talk) 09:58, 2 August 2017 (UTC)
And even Special:UncategorizedCategories contains Category:Cryptocurrencies, which is categorized. The main problem for me is that the API behaves the same. So if the bot changes something and asks MediaWiki what were the changes, it replies that there were none. For example, this and this and this was just a result of recategorizing some newly created localized pages. Sigh... -- Lahwaacz (talk) 20:57, 13 August 2017 (UTC)
Also, Category:Cryptocurrencies does not appear in Table_of_contents. -- Lahwaacz (talk) 08:10, 14 August 2017 (UTC)
I noticed Special:Categories yields a fatal exception now, and this lead me to T99736 which is unfortunately not fully resolved yet. --Indigo (talk) 14:36, 14 August 2017 (UTC)
I had another read of T99736. It already has partial fixes merged by WMF, [1], [2]. To me both look like the scripts remedy category related errors, opinions? --Indigo (talk) 17:54, 15 August 2017 (UTC)
T99736 seems to have found two different problems: titles not respecting the conventional format (see [3]) and rows with negative counts. The second problem was designated to be a red herring so it's probably the first problem. The category table is not essential, it should be possible to rebuild it from other tables if its data were deleted, and the populateCategory.php table seems to do just that. I'd say let's try if it solves our problem(s). -- Lahwaacz (talk) 19:24, 16 August 2017 (UTC)
Also, if the thing causing these problems is the background job runner, we should re-run the script again after we fix that... -- Lahwaacz (talk) 19:36, 16 August 2017 (UTC)
Yes, agreed. Sure can be hit/miss, if the script helps with above noted problems, but we need to get rid of the bogus entries anyhow.
I have another find regarding the job queue: [4] (see "Pages do not appear in their categories").
To me it reads like we should bundle these steps with the clean-up script. I can have a go on it on Sunday or so. --Indigo (talk) 20:15, 17 August 2017 (UTC)