Enabling huge pages
With systemd, hugetlbfs is mounted on /dev/hugepages by default, but with mode 0755 and root's uid and gid.
And not so much... seems I can't access the hugetlbfs as I should.
Jan 26 19:57:59 eanna libvirtd: Unable to read from monitor: Connection reset by peer Jan 26 19:57:59 eanna libvirtd: internal error: early end of file from monitor: possible problem: 2015-01-27T03:57:59.072699Z qemu-system-x86_64: cannot set up guest memory 'pc.ram': Cannot allocate memory Jan 26 19:57:59 eanna kernel: virbr0: port 2(vnet0) entered disabled state Jan 26 19:57:59 eanna kernel: device vnet0 left promiscuous mode Jan 26 19:57:59 eanna kernel: virbr0: port 2(vnet0) entered disabled state Jan 26 19:57:59 eanna avahi-daemon: Withdrawing workstation service for vnet0. Jan 26 19:57:59 eanna NetworkManager: <info> (virbr0): link disconnected Jan 26 19:57:59 eanna systemd-coredump: Process 870 (qemu-system-x86) of user 99 dumped core. Jan 26 19:57:59 eanna systemd-machined: Machine qemu-prometheus terminated. Jan 26 19:57:59 eanna gnome-session: Gjs-Message: JS LOG: Failed to launch ibus-daemon: Failed to execute child process "ibus-daemon" (No such file or directory) Jan 26 19:57:59 eanna dbus: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.GeoClue2' unit='geoclue.service' Jan 26 19:57:59 eanna libvirtd: error from service: TerminateMachine: No machine 'qemu-prometheus' known Jan 26 19:57:59 eanna libvirtd: Failed to autostart VM 'prometheus': internal error: early end of file from monitor: possible problem: 2015-01-27T03:57:59.072699Z qemu-system-x86_64: cannot set up guest memory 'pc.ram': Cannot allocate memory Jan 26 19:57:59 eanna dbus: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1' unit='wpa_supplicant.service' Jan 26 19:57:59 eanna libvirtd: internal error: Unable to find any usable hugetlbfs mount for 16777216 KiB Jan 26 19:57:59 eanna dbus: [system] Successfully activated service 'fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1' Jan 26 19:57:59 eanna NetworkManager: <info> wpa_supplicant started Jan 26 19:57:59 eanna polkitd: Registered Authentication Agent for unix-session:c1 (system bus name :1.29 [gnome-shell --mode=gdm], object path /org/ freedesktop/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_US. Jan 26 19:57:59 eanna dbus: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.GeoClue2' Jan 26 19:57:59 eanna gnome-session: Gjs-Message: JS LOG: No permission to trigger offline updates: Polkit.Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop. PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: Action org.freedesktop.packagekit.trigg Jan 26 19:57:59 eanna org.freedesktop.Telepathy.AccountManager: (process:921): libnm-glib-WARNING **: Error in get_property: Method "Get" with signature "ss" on interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" d Jan 26 19:57:59 eanna libvirtd: Failed to autostart VM 'atlas': internal error: Unable to find any usable hugetlbfs mount for 16777216 KiB
- I think the proper way to manually set hugepage size is with sysctl:
- sysctl vm.nr_hugepages=550
- Then you can enable it permanently by creating the file "/etc/sysctl.d/40-hugepags.conf" and putting the following inside it:
- Meskarune (talk) 20:53, 14 September 2017 (UTC)
- I just wanted to confirm that with default permissions on dev/hugepages, this error happened: https://gist.github.com/meskarune/90a2c561488303a16e67554cc108e47e
- Meskarune (talk) 17:57, 4 November 2017 (UTC)
Merge KVM article into QEMU
Because the QEMU-KVM fork of QEMU has been deprecated/obsoleted as of QEMU 1.3  (about 9 months ago as of this writing ) and QEMU is now on version 1.6, we should strongly consider merging the KVM article into the main article for QEMU. A separate article for the KVM fork made sense historically, but now that the fork has been merged upstream, we should just keep everything on one page.
- Good idea, I don't think anybody can disagree, as the main section of this article, KVM#How_to_use_KVM, already just links to QEMU ^^
- If then somebody considers QEMU to have become too long, it should be discussed to split it in some other way.
- -- Kynikos (talk) 01:06, 18 September 2013 (UTC)
Works with "AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor" using 2013.11.01 64-bit
Using Arch Linux release 2013.11.01 in 64-bit mode... it boots fine. Following the wikis... this is basically the parameters I used
$ /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 -boot d -m 1024 -hda '/home/user/path/to/storage' -cdrom '/path/to/archlinux-2013.11.01-dual.iso' -net nic,vlanx=0 -net user,vlan=0 -localtime -k en-gb -smp 8 -enable-kvm -cpu host &
- I also booted the Gentoo minimal ISO 20131010 in 64-bit mode (go to gentoo to find out more) using the same parameter but different ISO
$ /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 -boot d -m 1024 -hda '/home/user/path/to/storage' -cdrom '/path/to/install-amd64-minimal-20131010.iso' -net nic,vlan=0 -net user,vlan=0 -localtime -k en-gb -smp 8 -enable-kvm -cpu host &
- During live CD boot up... I see this error message... which I think is normal...
Failed to access perfctr msr (MSR c0010001 is ffffffffffffffff)
- You also get errors about not being able to access hardware... obvious why :p (unless I'm wrong)
- I haven't installed Arch Linux in the guest yet (busy :p) but will get some time to
- from what I can see, the parameter "nested" is already set to "1" for the
kvm_amdmodule when using the
systoolcommand before applying the "nested" parameter myself
- I found loading
- you should say
grep svm /proc/cpuinfofor AMD
- I have another AMD machine which has "AMD Phenom II x4 955" (showing the
svmCPU flag from
/proc/cpuinfofile which too is using Arch Linux (my server) when I have time... will try it out there
- I do plan to move to Intel... better drivers... lets get cracking before I move to Intel
- I'm new to wiki code :p
Instructions mention a virtio_serial.
This appears to be missing, the rest in the list exist.
[root@ lib]# find . | grep -i virtio_ | grep ko ./modules/5.5.8-arch1-1/kernel/drivers/block/virtio_blk.ko.xz ./modules/5.5.8-arch1-1/kernel/drivers/char/virtio_console.ko.xz ./modules/5.5.8-arch1-1/kernel/drivers/crypto/virtio/virtio_crypto.ko.xz ./modules/5.5.8-arch1-1/kernel/drivers/net/virtio_net.ko.xz ./modules/5.5.8-arch1-1/kernel/drivers/nvdimm/virtio_pmem.ko.xz ./modules/5.5.8-arch1-1/kernel/drivers/rpmsg/virtio_rpmsg_bus.ko.xz ./modules/5.5.8-arch1-1/kernel/drivers/scsi/virtio_scsi.ko.xz ./modules/5.5.8-arch1-1/kernel/drivers/virtio/virtio_balloon.ko.xz ./modules/5.5.8-arch1-1/kernel/drivers/virtio/virtio_input.ko.xz ./modules/5.5.8-arch1-1/kernel/drivers/virtio/virtio_mmio.ko.xz ./modules/5.5.8-arch1-1/kernel/drivers/virtio/virtio_pci.ko.xz ./modules/5.5.8-arch1-1/kernel/net/vmw_vsock/vmw_vsock_virtio_transport.ko.xz ./modules/5.5.8-arch1-1/kernel/net/vmw_vsock/vmw_vsock_virtio_transport_common.ko.xz [root@ lib]#
unable to map backing store for guest RAM: Cannot allocate memory
Certify guest memory ram does not exceed the amount allocated to hugepages.