Should Namcap#Tags be removed?
I think the whole section listing namcap tags should be removed - all the tags are listed and documented in namcap manpage. --Bhobbit 23:28, 1 December 2009 (EST)
- I think the opposite. I think an online documentation is desirable as a formatted man page is not always available, or convenient. The opposite statement is also true, so I think. An online documentation is not always available, or convenient. Regid (talk) 18:14, 2 May 2017 (UTC)
- In my opinion, it shouldn't be removed. Namcap's man page only lists rule files, which normally have more than one tags, while the Tags section is more specific on listing all tags (e.g. "elffiles.py", listed in the man page as "elffiles", is a rule file containing elffile-not-in-allowed-dirs, elffile-in-questionable-dirs, elffile-not-in-allowed-dirs, elffile-with-textrel, and more). If the man page listed each tag, maybe the section could be removed or reduced to "see man page Josephgbr (talk) 15:31, 31 December 2017 (UTC) ".
I corrected the namcap number version with 2.8.2 because I think it's better to report the stable software version and because the link was inconsistent. The NEWS link now points to the namcap 2.x tree. --Thewall 18 March 2011
Tags are out of date
The tag list in Namcap#Tags has some tags whose name changed, and is missing some other tags. I'm listing as a ToDo task - anyone interested in doing it, but my guess.
- The following tag names in Namcap have been renamed from '-md5sums' to '-checksums', and have now a bigger scope (other checksums). Maybe more things?
- The tag name seems to have been renamed to incorrect-owner (need confirmation)
- The tag name was renamed removing 'recommended-' (description should also be updated)
- New tags included in
/usr/share/namcap/namcap-tagsbut not listed in this section
- cross-dir-hardlink %s %s :: Cross-directory hardlink in package (filename, linkname)
- desktop-database-not-updated :: Mime type handler found. Add "update-desktop-database -q" to the install file
- elffile-in-any-package %s :: ELF file ('filename') found in an 'any' package.
- elffile-with-textrel %s :: ELF file ('filename') has text relocations.
- elffile-with-execstack %s :: ELF file ('filename') has executable stack.
- error-running-rule %s :: Error running rule 'rulename'
- external-hooks-name %s :: .INSTALL file runs a command (command) provided by hooks.
- external-hooks-warning :: .INSTALL file runs a command provided by hooks.
- file-in-temporary-dir %s :: File (filename) is in a temporary directory.
- file-setugid %s :: File (filename) is setuid or setgid.
- kdebase-runtime-needed-dep %s :: KDE programs program probably need kdebase-runtime to run correctly
- invalid-filename :: File name %s contains non standard characters
- library-no-package-associated %s :: Referenced library 'filename' is an uninstalled dependency
- lots-of-docs %f :: Package was %.0f%% docs by size; maybe you should split out a docs package
- missing-backup-file %s :: File in backup array (filename) not found in package
- missing-description :: Missing description in PKGBUILD
- missing-pkgfunction %s :: Child package package does not have a valid package() function
- missing-makedeps %s :: Split PKGBUILD needs additional makedepends package to work properly
- no-elffiles-not-any-package :: No ELF files and not an "any" package
- py-mtime-mtree-warning :: Found .py file unnoticeably newer than associated .pyc/pyo.
- py-mtime-tar-error :: Found .py file newer than associated .pyc/pyo.
- py-mtime-file-name %s :: Python script (script) is newer than associated .pyc/pyo.
- site-ruby :: Found usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby in package, usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby should be used instead.
- systemd-location %s :: File %s should be in /usr/lib/systemd/system/
- unused-sodepend %s %s :: Unused shared library 'lib' by file ('filename')
- dependency-detected-but-optional %s (%s) :: Dependency package detected but optional (package)
- dconf-needed-for-glib-schemas :: needed for glib schemas
- glib2-needed-for-gio-modules :: needed for GIO modules
- hicolor-icon-theme-needed-for-hicolor-dir :: needed for hicolor theme hierarchy
- kdebase-runtime-needed %s :: needed for programs program
- java-environment-needed %s :: found class files filename
- libraries-needed %s %s :: libraries libs needed in files %s
- programs-needed %s %s :: programs program needed in scripts scripts