User talk:Meskarune/Installation checklist
Hello, is there a reason why this page is being considered for redirection? The purpose is different from the Installation guide. Just like Init_Rosetta and the systemd page are separate.
- Main reason: We already have two installation guides (of which one too many, see Talk:Beginners' guide#Unification), and maintaining a third one - which the support channels like IRC and BBS have to consider - is not feasible.
- Also, I don't see how the purpose is different of the IG. Apart from formatting and link amount (which were both reduced here, to arguable benefit), it's about the same. If there's something wrong with the IG, mention it on Talk:Installation guide. -- Alad (talk) 18:02, 12 January 2016 (UTC)
- Aw, I see. I agree that having a single install guide is a good idea and prevents redundancy. I still think that having a very short checklist would be useful for many people. Perhaps I can make the current checklist more succinct. The idea came from talking with people on IRC, some who felt the regular install guide was too laconic and others who thought a list of links is all that is needed. I thought a good middle ground would be to have an install checklist and add a bit more information to the regular install guide. I am one of those people who prints out an install checklist so I can make sure I don't miss something. I thought other people would find the same useful.
- Meskarune (talk) 18:46, 12 January 2016 (UTC)Meskarune
- As Alad said, we know by experience that having multiple articles discuss the same topic, even if with different styles, only makes it more difficult to maintain them for the staff and the other editors (they have to be all kept in sync) and to read them for the end users, since the articles will have to be compared in order to understand which one is more up to date, accurate or complete. After all, what this page is, is a slightly-expanded version of the automatic ToC of either the Installation guide or the Beginners' guide: you may print those instead, for a quick checklist reference.
- This is not the first time at all that somebody tries to implement their own idea of a "perfect" installation guide, and we always recommend to do it in their own User page instead: I think this can apply to your case too :) If you want you can then give the link to your user page to the others on IRC, and they may even help you improve it. User pages are only allowed to be linked from other User pages (see Help:Style#User pages), thus making them compatible with the no-redundancy rule, which only applies to the Main namespace.
- — Kynikos (talk) 07:53, 13 January 2016 (UTC)
Add column for man pages
Add rankmirror for 'Select mirrors'?
Hi! rankmirror comes with pacman and it will test the bandwidth of mirrors and output a mirrorlist file sorted by speed. I find it very usefull, especially when traveling. Halfr (talk) 15:13, 26 August 2016 (UTC)