AUR Cleanup Day/2010
NOTE: TU's are currently working through the list. You can still add packages but please check the whole page first.
The AUR has a large number of obsolete packages which could use cleaning up. Examples of packages that may be cleaned up are:
- packages that have been renamed or replaced
- old and unmaintained developmental (cvs/svn/etc) packages
Post suggestions of packages on this pages. Trusted Users will get together and go though the list in a couple of weeks and confirm which packages should be removed. Please DO NOT REMOVE suggestions from the wiki page but add a comment on why it should be kept instead. TUs will not delete any useful package.
Add new packages here - check for the package in the sorted lists below before adding
- 9base-devel - Hasn't been update since 25/12/2005. I think its not needed.
- advi - seems to be unmaintainable for the following reasons
- The newest version 1.7.3 needs camlimages 3.0.0, which cannot be found on the net
- camlimages' cvs-sources do not compile
- package advi 1.6.0 has a patchfile of 102k size
- package advi worked fine in former days but does does not compile anymore. It is a pity!
- alienarena2007 - Replaced by alienarena
- ampache-devel - Out of date since 08/19/07. It is also the stable branch, not development branch.
- audacious-mac - Included in audacious-plugins>=1.5.0
- audacious-xosd - Included in audacious-plugins>=1.5.0
- azrael - dead project, does not compile
- blender-svn-cloth - it was already merged to main svn trunk
- blender-svn-particles - merged to main svn trunk
- dx9wine - contains a patch not needed anymore
- e16-devel - Outdated, replaced by enlightenment in extra
- e16keyedit - Outdated, never updated since Tue, 05 Jul 2005
- ecamegapedal - Do not to compile.
- eclipse-kde - Dead
- eduke32 - Outdated, replaced by bin32-eduke32
- although it is outdated, it is not replaced by bin32-eduke32, 'cause bin32-eduke32 is for Arch64 bit (this is 32bit package)
- epiphany-unofficial-extensions - Out of date
- fusesmb or fusesmb2 - duplicate (and both outdated, version 8.7 is available)
- fftw2single - part of fftw2 from [extra]
- freeciv-beta-svn - Outdated svn beta for version 2.1, stable 2.1 version already in Extra. Replaced by freeciv-svn
- gaim-openq-2006 - Old plugin for gaim that has since been merged into pidgin source
- galeon - doesn't compile (not even the latest version)
- gimp-freetype - This plugin was developed for gimp 2.0 and is not needed according to the notes here.
- gimp-resynth or gimp-plugin-resynthesizer - duplicate (best to keep latter)
- gmpc*-svn - replaced by git
- gnuserv - Deprecated in emacs-22+
- guifications-gaim2 - Outdated beta version, a current version is in community.
- ii-hg - outdated, probably discontinued as the project website isn't available anymore (moved maybe?)
- ion-modules - ion3 is not part of official repos anymore so i dont see why this should stay here. I hope AUR CleanUp involves [community].
- ionice - part of util-linux-ng
- jabberd1* - jabberd v.2 is in extra
- jabberd14 and jabberd2 are separate projects (both under active development).
- jacman - Currently broken: should we remove it?
- jfduke3d - Is not updated by his author anymore, eduke32 was made to remplace it
- kanola - probably dead project, didn't went past the 0.0.1 release since 2006
- kdelibs-noarts - out-of-date, modified official package
- kdenlive 0.5_1-1 - out-of-date, doesn't compile
- Latest stable version is 0.5, last updated in AUR on Sun, 09 Mar 2008 --Doc Angelo
- It's not even out of date, nor duplicate of another package – 6xx
- kernel26thinkpad - obsolete, out of date since 2006
- lam 7.1.3-1 - Doesn't compile and is orphaned. The successor openmpi works.
- libdvbpsi 20041028-1 - Old, recent version in extra
- libqglviewer-latest - the same package as libqglviewer
- librtorrent - duplicate package, already in [community]
- linuxdcpp-cvs - Old, orphaned CVS version of a package in community
- linux-uvc-isight and linux-uvc-isight-svn - Outdated, linux-uvc-svn does the same thing
- lmms-cvs - Orphan, outdated, and project switched to svn.
- mencode - outdated, tells aur is its homepage
- mlame - just a small bash script, no project page, could be moved to the wiki maybe
- moaceyahoo - Dead project. Will post new one, someday.
- mouseemu - Project not updated since 2006; xautomation also allows mouse emulation.
- mozilla-firefox-es_es - included in firefox-i18n
- mplayer-w32codecs - duplicate package
- I don't think it is. This packages has more codecs than the "codecs" package. It has more DLLs.
- mpd-pausemode - "Website" is orig. contributor's email addr.; orphaned by this contributor, so presumably no longer developed.
- mutt-cvs - mutt switched to mercurial a while back; way outdated anyway.
- nautilus-open-terminal-gianvito 0.9-1 - not needed anymore since original version update to 0.9
- netbeans-rubyide-hudson - useless since NetBeans supports this feature in 6.1
- netscape-navigator - Not supported upstream anymore making it vulnerable to security issues.
- Can be used for web development – 6xx
- For composer functionality, seamonkey does a better job.
- openarena - Obsolete, remplaced by openarena-bin
- openssh-snapshot - Not needed anymore
- org - Out of date; also, included in Emacs 22+
- perl-data-dumper - Included in core perl
- pidgin-xfire - Broke; Replaced by pidgin-gfire.
- python-gnuplot - Duplicate of gnuplot-py which was submitted almost 3 years before.
- rb_libtorrent-svn - not needed, strange download location
- rs_rtorrent - duplicate package, already in [community]
- rt61-cvs - This driver is included in linus's tree and is therefore obsolete
- slim_pam - just slim with extra configure option
- slim-theme-darch - in archlinux-themes-slim
- sonic-rainbow - dead project, does not compile
- stepmania-bin - orphan, replaced by stepmania
- swiftfox-pentium2 - obsolete for a long time.
- Super Mario War - The source is no longer hosted through svn. Could be easily updated though...
- supertux-svn - It won't compile since it uses cmake insted of jam ... it must be easy to update
- swiftfox-* 2.x optimized builds of various Mozilla products; several are orphaned and out-of-date. swiftfox3 available.
- swt-devel - I only created it to compile tuxguitar against it, but that's not needed. And it seems nobody is using it.
- tar-fixed - This bug is verified fixed in tar 1.20
- viki-svn - old, pkgbuild is broken
- wicd-svn - Outdated, wicd on repository extra is newer.
- xf86-video-radeonhd-git - Seems to not be found : "error: 'xf86-video-radeonhd-git': not found in sync db" with yaourt
- So file an yaourt bug; the files are there
- ximian-openoffice - Ximian port of OpenOffice 1.x. Users should use the more secure OpenOffice 2.x. Also Ximian openoffice is what is now known as ooo-build.
- pidgimpd-svn - This package is orphaned and it doesn't build. There is mpd support in musictracker.
- sylpheed-devel - Outdated for a long time. Remove or make orphnaned.
TU Working Area
For editing by TUs only! The wiki has a history so do not think you can get away with ignoring this... --Allan
Packages to Remove
- 4c - source & home page not reachable, contributor informed on 28.4. no change since then --Dragonlord
- abraca-hg - Replaced by abraca-git --pressh
- amavisdnew - duplicat package, orphaning and taking over the older one would be better (orphaning all dotnetfireball's packages??) --Dragonlord
- cdrtools-dvd - outdated and replaced --Dragonlord
- creapkg - source can't be reached --Dragonlord
- emacs-without-x - already gone --Dragonlord
- ethereal - available as wireshark in [extra] --Dragonlord
- firefox-ca - included in firefox-i18n --Allan
- firefox2-ca - firefox2 is depreciated. --Allan
- freeplayer - looks pretty dead to me --Dragonlord
- peerguardian - "no PeerGuardian for Linux" --Dragonlord
- wildfire - Replaced by openfire. --pressh
Packages to Keep
- amavisd-new - older release, better name, perhaps qwak can it take over. amavisdnew out of date anyway --Dragonlord
- boombox - if it can be patched (don't know how though) and PKGBUILD updated, I see no reason to delete it --Dragonlord
- cddb - compiles fine, just old --Dragonlord
- exult - if properly patched and PKGBUILD cleaned --Dragonlord
- flumotion - needs update only --Dragonlord
- fretsonfire, bin32-fretsonfire - bin32 prefix is recommendable for packages with lib32-* dependencies --Allan
- galaxymage - compile and run just fine --Dragonlord
- gnash-cvs - still uses CVS, needs just an update --Dragonlord
- java3d - needs just an update --Dragonlord
- pinkytagger - Outdated by two years. (comment by Dragonlord:Latest version 2.1-0 (October 21, 2007) needs new musicbrainz, which is out of date in [extra]) --pressh
Remove from Filesystem
This is a list of files on the AUR filesystem that have been created when poorly formed packages were uploaded. This is a secondary consideration.
/packages/0verkill-0.16.tar.gz/ /packages/2007.02.17-2/ /packages/abakus-0.91-1/ /packages/abakus-0.91.tar.gz/ /packages/abakus-0.91/ /packages/akgregator/ /packages/akregator/ /packages/akregator1.0.2/ /packages/akregator_1.0.2/ /packages/amsn-0.97ec1/ /packages/amsn-0.97rc1/ /packages/amsn-097rc1-1/ /packages/amsn-097rc1/ /packages/amsn-cvs/ /packages/amsn-svn_update/ /packages/amsn096/ /packages/amsn096rc1/ /packages/bashstyle-5.0 /packages/bashstyle-5.0rc1.tar.gz/ /packages/bashstyle-5.0rc1.tar.gz1/ /packages/bashstyle-5.0rc1/ /packages/bashstyle.tar.gz/ /packages/bashstyle-ng/ /packages/bashstyle1/ /packages/braero-svn /packages/braser-cvs/ /packages/brasero-cvs/ /packages/brasero.svn/ /packages/brlcad-cvs/ /packages/ccd2iso-0.3/ /packages/cdcollect-0.6.0/ /packages/centerim-4.22.2/ /packages/centerim/ /packages/ploticus-test/ /packages/test-louipc/ /packages/test/ /packages/test_pkg/ /packages/yacas-1.1.17-2/ /packages/yacas-1.2.2/ /packages/yacas-1.17-2/ /packages/yacas-new/ /packages/yacasnew/ /packages/zzztest/ /packages/zzzztest/
Remove from Filesystem (AUR Bugs)
This is a list of files that need to be removed due to AUR bugs as they hinder proper submission and maintenance of packages.
- FS#8672 - http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/8672
/packages/isight-firmware-tools /packages/perl-devel-stacktrace /packages/psi-qt4 /packages/xcursor-industrial /packages/zaptel
/packages/lib32-dbus is now in community - Allan