AUR Cleanup Day/2010
NOTE: TU's are currently working through the list. You can still add packages but please check the whole page first.
The AUR has a large number of obsolete packages which could use cleaning up. Examples of packages that may be cleaned up are:
- packages that have been renamed or replaced
- old and unmaintained developmental (cvs/svn/etc) packages
Post suggestions of packages on this pages. Trusted Users will get together and go though the list in a couple of weeks and confirm which packages should be removed. Please DO NOT REMOVE suggestions from the wiki page but add a comment on why it should be kept instead. TUs will not delete any useful package.
Add new packages here - check for the package in the sorted lists below before adding
- advi - seems to be unmaintainable for the following reasons
- The newest version 1.7.3 needs camlimages 3.0.0, which cannot be found on the net
- camlimages' cvs-sources do not compile
- package advi 1.6.0 has a patchfile of 102k size
- audacious-docklet - Doesnt work with latest audacious, not needed anymore either
- ecamegapedal - Do not to compile.
- eclipse-kde - Dead
- galeon - doesn't compile (not even the latest version)
- gnuserv - Deprecated in emacs-22+
- gshare - The package didn't function for me with the latest gnome. Furthermore it looks like this project is dead (website is down, source is no longer available)
- gpsutil - URL is not available, the link to gpsutil on the gpsbabel page is dead too.
- ii-hg - outdated, probably discontinued as the project website isn't available anymore (moved maybe?)
- jfduke3d - Is not updated by his author anymore, eduke32 was made to remplace it
- kanola - probably dead project, didn't went past the 0.0.1 release since 2006
- lam 7.1.3-1 - Doesn't compile and is orphaned. The successor openmpi works.
- libqglviewer-latest - the same package as libqglviewer
- linuxdcpp-cvs - Old, orphaned CVS version of a package in community
- mencode - outdated, tells aur is its homepage
- The package is to install a perl script included in the AUR tarball so it doesn't really have a home page. So it could be kept if the script can still be useful or, at least, the script could be moved to the wiki if there is a page for scripts. --Snowman
- mlame - just a small bash script, no project page, could be moved to the wiki maybe
- mouseemu - Project not updated since 2006; xautomation also allows mouse emulation.
- mpd-pausemode - "Website" is orig. contributor's email addr.; orphaned by this contributor, so presumably no longer developed.
- org - Out of date; also, included in Emacs 22+
- netwmpager - I just orphaned this community package. Home page has disappeared. I think source can still be found on Debian mirrors though. See comments in AUR. It might be wise to move it to unsupported or remove completely unless a TU wants to adopt it. --Snowman
- rt61-cvs - This driver is included in linus's tree and is therefore obsolete
- sonic-rainbow - dead project, does not compile --Snowman
- stepmania-bin - orphan, replaced by stepmania
- swt-devel - I only created it to compile tuxguitar against it, but that's not needed. And it seems nobody is using it.
- viki-svn - old, pkgbuild is broken
- pidgimpd-svn - This package is orphaned and it doesn't build. There is mpd support in musictracker.
- sizzle - No upstream maintenance, does not compile.
- weather-wallpaper - orphaned and references as dep non-existing pymetar
TU Working Area
For editing by TUs only! The wiki has a history so do not think you can get away with ignoring this... --Allan
Packages to Remove
- fvwm-trans last updated over 2 years ago and replaced with fvwm-patched in AUR --pressh (I think one feature that is patched is in fvwm by default now, the other is in fvwm-patched too. If user does not want all the patched they can disable the ones they don't want from fvwm-patched)
- jacman - Jacman doesn't work correctly with pacman3. --Partition
- slim-theme-darch - in archlinux-themes-slim --Allan
- ion-modules - ion3 is not part of official repos anymore, move to AUR --Allan
- lmctl - replaced by lomoco --Allan
- wildfire - Replaced by openfire. --pressh
Packages to Keep
- mplayer-w32codecs - not duplicate package as has more codecs than the "codecs" package.
- Should rename to "codecs-extra" and not provide same files as codecs package --Allan
Remove from Filesystem
This is a list of files on the AUR filesystem that have been created when poorly formed packages were uploaded. This is a secondary consideration.
There are also directories in /packages/ for which the package no longer exists. These probably need to be removed as well. Examples are 4c, 1394commander and 8kingdoms. Also, all the packages that moved to community ALSO still exist here; for example 915resolution. A complete list of these directories can be found here
/packages/0verkill-0.16.tar.gz/ /packages/0verkill-0.16/ /packages/2007.02.17-2/ /packages/abakus-0.91-1/ /packages/abakus-0.91.tar.gz/ /packages/abakus-0.91/ /packages/akgregator/ /packages/akregator/ /packages/akregator1.0.2/ /packages/akregator_1.0.2/ /packages/amsn-0.97ec1/ /packages/amsn-0.97rc1/ /packages/amsn-097rc1-1/ /packages/amsn-097rc1/ /packages/amsn-cvs/ /packages/amsn-svn_update/ /packages/amsn096/ /packages/amsn096rc1/ /packages/bashstyle-5.0 /packages/bashstyle-5.0rc1.tar.gz/ /packages/bashstyle-5.0rc1.tar.gz1/ /packages/bashstyle-5.0rc1/ /packages/bashstyle.tar.gz/ /packages/bashstyle-ng/ /packages/bashstyle1/ /packages/braero-svn /packages/braser-cvs/ /packages/brasero-cvs/ /packages/brasero.svn/ /packages/brlcad-cvs/ /packages/ccd2iso-0.3/ /packages/cdcollect-0.6.0/ /packages/centerim-4.22.2/ /packages/centerim/ /packages/exiftool/exiftool-7.13.tar.gz (/packages/exiftool/exiftool.tar.gz has been uploaded & works) /packages/ploticus-test/ /packages/test-louipc/ /packages/test/ /packages/test_pkg/ /packages/yacas-1.1.17-2/ /packages/yacas-1.2.2/ /packages/yacas-1.17-2/ /packages/yacas-new/ /packages/yacasnew/ /packages/zzztest/ /packages/zzzztest/
Remove from Filesystem (AUR Bugs)
This is a list of files that need to be removed due to AUR bugs as they hinder proper submission and maintenance of packages.
- FS#8672 - http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/8672
/packages/advanceutils /packages/isight-firmware-tools /packages/mlt-svn /packages/perl-devel-stacktrace /packages/psi-qt4 /packages/xcursor-industrial /packages/zaptel
/packages/lib32-dbus is now in community - Allan