This is a list of frontends for the pacman CLI tool. The list includes full featured GUI frontends, informational tools, and a variety of system tray notifiers. The list also includes categories for Gtk2 based and Qt based software.
- 1 Pacman Frontends
- 2 Pacman / AUR Package Browser
- 3 System Tray Notifiers
- 4 Inactive Software Packages
PacmanXG is a GUI front-end for pacman. Not depends either GTK nor Qt. Just X. This graphical tool allows to do the following:
- Install/remove/upgrade packages
- Search packages / filter packages
- Retrieve package info include screenshots
- Downgrade packages (need downgrade utility from AUR)
- Refresh package database, synchronize mirrors.
- Update system in one click
- YAOURT support (in testing)
AUR Package: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=52039
Direct link to binary: http://almin-soft.nx0.ru/media/files/binaries/download.php?get=pacmanXG.tar.bz2
Wakka is a gtk based package manager for Arch Linux, derived from the work done on GtkPacman. The goal is to clean up the code and rework the program to be stable and extensible.
GNOME PackageKit is a distribution-agnostic collection of utilities for managing packages. Using the alpm backend, it supports the following features:
- Install and remove packages from the repos.
- Periodically refresh package databases and prompt for updates.
- Install packages from tarballs.
- Search for packages by name, description, category or file.
- Show package dependencies, files and reverse dependencies.
- Ignore IgnorePkgs and hold HoldPkgs.
- Report optional dependencies, .pacnew files, etc.
You can change the remove operation from -Rc to -Rsc by setting the GConf key /apps/gnome-packagekit/enable_autoremove.
pacman -S gnome-packagekit gnome-settings-daemon-updates
If you do not wish to install PulseAudio, you can install Template:Package AUR from the AUR.
KPackageKit or Apper as it is now called is a GUI front-end for PackageKit. Pacman integration is accomplished via the Template:Package Official package in [community] which gained upstream support for pacman. This graphical tool allows to do the following from KDE's systemsettings:
- Install/remove/upgrade packages
- Search packages / filter packages
- Retrieve package info
- Refresh package database
- Choose which repositories will be updated
- Automatically refresh database (Hourly, daily etc.)
- Automatically update packages
While pacman support in PackageKit is relatively new, it works with no major problems, providing ease of use, simplicity, and good integration with KDE (and PolicyKit).
AppSet is an advanced and feature rich GUI front-end for Package Managers. AppSet has the following features:
- Software sections (games, office, multimedia, internet etc.)
- Shows homepages for selected packages in an embedded web browser
- Shows distributions news with an embedded feed reader
- Upgrades, installs and removes packages
- Shows available upgrades with a Tray Icon
- Updates database periodically
- Informs about dependencies (for example when trying to remove a package needed by others)
- Cache clean command (to free disk space)
- Intelligent launcher that uses what is already installed to get administrative privileges (by searching for kdesu, gksu or at last for an xterm where it starts with a sudo command)
- Now with AUR support with Packer as backend
AppSet needs only QT libs as dependence for installation. It can be used in any desktop environment. Currently only works for Archlinux using pacman.
AUR Package: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=43869
Package management in a curses frontend, including:
- regexp filtering and searching any package property
- customizable colorcoding
- customizable sorting
- external command execution with package list string replacements
- user defined macros and hotkeys
Pacman / AUR Package Browser
Pkgbrowser is an application for searching and browsing Arch packages, showing details on selected packages.
- Search and browse Arch packages including the AUR
- Purely an informational application that cannot be used to install, remove or update packages
- By design, is an accessory to CLI package management via pacman
- Further details on use via manual accessed from help menu
Pacinfo is an application to browse the installed packages and show information like screenshot, installed files, installation date and others. Written in Mono/GTK#
System Tray Notifiers
archup is a small C application which informs the user when system-updates for Archlinux are available. Archup uses GTk+ and libnotify to show a desktop notification if updates are available.
- Homepage: archup, http://www.nongnu.org/archup/
- AUR Package Details: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=35792
- Screenshots: http://www.nongnu.org/archup/, http://developer.berlios.de/dbimage.php?id=4687 , http://developer.berlios.de/dbimage.php?id=4688
aarchup is a fork of archup. Has the same options as archup plus a few other features. For differences between both please check changelog at the topic https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=119129
- Homepage: https://github.com/aericson/aarchup/
- AUR Package Details: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=49100
- Screenshots: http://i.imgur.com/yTNvg.png
Written in Ruby, uses Gtk. Shows an icon in the system tray and popup notifications (using libnotify) for new packages.
- Homepage: https://github.com/v01d/pacman-notifier/wiki
- AUR Package Details: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=15193
- Screenshots: https://github.com/v01d/pacman-notifier/wiki
Pacupdate is a small application that notifies the user about new updates for Arch Linux. If Pacupdate finds out that a update is available, it will display a notification in SystemTray.
- Homepage (out of date): http://code.google.com/p/pacupdate/ Do not install packages with 'pacman -Sy foo' as it may lead to breakage.
- AUR Package Details: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=25082
Yapan - Yet Another Package mAnager Notifier - is written in C++ and Qt. It shows an icon in the system tray and popup notifications for new packages and supports other package manager like clyde or yaourt.
- Homepage: https://bitbucket.org/otsug/yapan/wiki/Home , https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=113078
- AUR Package Details: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=46213
- Screenshots: https://bitbucket.org/otsug/yapan/wiki/Home
PacMan frontend (tray update notifier) for GTK/GNOME/zenity/libnotify.
- AUR Package Details: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=25948
- Screenshots: http://show.harvie.cz/screenshots/zenman-screenshot-2.png
A very simple 14 line shell script that displays the number of available updates in the dzen2 title window and a list of these updates in the slave window. Depends on yaourt, dzen2 and inotify-tools.
- Homepage: http://pointfree.net/repo/?r=dzen2_scripts;a=headblob;f=/src/pkgnotify/pkgnotify.sh
- AUR Package Details:
- Screenshots: http://andreasbwagner.tumblr.com/post/853471635/arch-linux-update-notifier-for-dzen2