What is Tethering
Tethering is a way to have Internet access on your PC through your smartphone using it's network connection. Usb tethering is natively supported from Android 2.2. Older versions of the Android OS, mostly unofficial roms have this option enabled.
- Root access to the PC
- Usb connection cable from your phone to pc
- Enable the the tethering option from your phone. This is usually done from
Settings --> Wireless & Networks --> Internet tethering
- Disconnect from for current wifi or ethernet network
- Load the usbnet module(if it's not already loaded). You will need root access to do that
- Connect the phone to the pc via the usb cable.
- Make sure that the usb interface is recognized by the system by using the following command
you should be able to see a usb0 device listed.
- Configure the new network device via dhcp using the following command
ifconfig usb0 up && dhcpcd usb0