Category:ArchWiki <<< Enable category
The ArchWiki Maintenance Team is an official group of users whose goal is supervising and fixing the edits that are made every day to the articles in the wiki.
How to joinTemplate:Box YELLOW
- Some free time and the commitment to contribute regularly enough (at least once a week).
- Will to collaborate and discuss with the other members of the team.
- Patience, accuracy and tidiness.
- Sufficient knowledge of Arch Linux and the subjects treated in the articles, or will to do some research or discuss with the edits' authors when fixing content-related issues.
- Experience in wiki editing.
- Good knowledge of wiki syntax: see Help:Editing and related.
- Good knowledge of the style rules: Help:Style.
The supervision of the edits made to the wiki can be accomplished in two complementary stages: #Recent changes patrolling and #Report solving. The former stage is where the problems are found and reported, while the latter is where they are finally processed and solved.
You can engage in one of the two tasks, or even in both if you want, keeping in mind that patrolling the recent changes obviously requires a more constant commitment, while fixing the reports is much more flexible and can be done whenever you find some time; moreover, even though having multiple users patrolling the same edit can increase the probability of finding possible mistakes, there is surely a limit beyond which this practice becomes a waste of efforts, so if you are undecided and you see there are already some users patrolling the recent changes, prefer helping in report solving.
Recent changes patrolling
There are two main ways you can patrol the recent changes:
- Visiting Special:RecentChanges at regular intervals, checking all the edits that have been made since the previous visit (for example once a day, after dinner, checking all the edits that have been done the previous day).
- Subscribing to Special:RecentChanges's Atom feed or even following Special:RecentChanges live in the browser and checking the edits as soon as you find some time.
For each edit, or group of edits made to the same page, you should assess if it is questionable, according to your experience and knowledge, also taking into account the list of the most frequent problems.
If you think the edit requires a quick fix that you can perform immediately, you should just do it; you will decide what "quick" exactly means on a case-by-case basis.
If instead the edit is questionable but you cannot fix it, you should look if it has already been reported in ArchWiki:Quick Reports, and add it to the table if it is not there yet, describing the problem in the Notes field. In case it has already been reported, see if you can add useful details to the accompanying note.
The following scheme roughly sums up the workflow: Template:Box
There are two main pages where maintenance problems are addressed:
- ArchWiki:Quick Reports, where recent changes patrollers directly add their reports.
- ArchWiki:Reports, where the most complex problems are discussed.
When working in ArchWiki:Quick Reports, you should first choose one of the listed reports, also reading the accompanying patroller's note: if you think you can fix the report, just fix it and remove it from the table.
If otherwise you feel it is better to contact the author of the edit, write him a message in his talk page, or send him an email in order to request an explanation or discuss further; then add a discussion in ArchWiki:Reports as a reminder and delete the report from ArchWiki:Quick Reports.
The problems treated in ArchWiki:Reports will be solved when the related discussions reach a definitive solution.
Most common problems and solutions
The following are the most common problems that recent changes patrollers can find and report, with brief tips for possible fixes.
- Removal of useful content: undo or contact the author.
- Unexplained modification or removal of content: contact the author.
- Major modification (usually in a single bulky edit) without sufficient explanation: contact the author.
- Spam/Vandalism: undo and report the author in ArchWiki:Spam.
- Signature, credits, personal observations in articles: undo or move to talk page.
- Start headings from level 1: move all sections up 1 level.
- Uncategorized new article: add category and fix header.
- Improper use of templates: fix according to Help:Style.
- Addition of installation instructions: undo or comply with Help:Style.