Starting from Sunday 4 May, the list of admins will be sorted every Sunday automatically by User:Kynikos.bot in descending order by the number of edits made in the previous 30 days (current values are in Special:ActiveUsers) plus the number of edits made with any associated bot accounts in the same period.
- The users at the top of the list are more likely to be contacted for generic questions, and the most active admins are more likely to be up to date with the current wiki status, procedures and conventions, so their answers can in general be more accurate.
- In accordance with the concept of meritocracy this will give more credit to the admins that spend more time and effort than the others to maintain the wiki, in particular listing the inactive ones at the bottom.
- and yet another reason for those of use with *slightly* OCD-ish tendencies to contirbute that little bit more... :) jasonwryan (talk) 17:24, 30 April 2014 (UTC)
- Uh this gives me a great chance to thank them (but I should say "us" XD ) all once again for their (our) invaluable help in making this wiki one of the most useful documentation resources currently available to all Arch (but not only Arch) Linux users in the world! -- Kynikos (talk) 03:08, 1 May 2014 (UTC)
Meaning of Administrator
- The users with administrative rights not listed here are Developers, Trusted Users, Arch Fellows, Forum Admins etc.
- I agree that it can be confusing for users approaching the ArchWiki from experiences on other wikis to see from that page that there are dozens of users with administrator rights but in fact only a handful actually act as wiki admins as they are commonly perceived on e.g. Wikipedia.
- However I think the proper way to clarify this is the natural MediaWiki's way: creating more specific user groups (which should still inherit the rights from the administrators group), like it happens on Wikipedia and in analogy with what happens on our Forums. Unfortunately this would require the good old FS#35545 to be solved first.
- -- Kynikos (talk) 12:38, 4 May 2014 (UTC)