Arch IRC channels
Jump to navigation Jump to search
If you like, stay some time to help others by answering some questions yourself. Or even stay permanently :-)
- When you've been served well, stay long & prosper to help others (in the channel and add to Wiki)!
- Check google, the forums, flyspray and The Wiki before you ask.
- If you've already found the answers on your own by now, then tell us which docs helped you (not?).
- Otherwise, if you want good & fast answers, ask smart questions
- No mind-reading here, state most specifically: expected result(s) first, the ones you get, and then all circumstantial info.
- Quality of answer won't exceed quality of question, you decide how helpful you are to yourself.
- This is an English language channel. If this does not suit you, there are a number of Arch channels available for other languages.
- Just ask your stuff, don't ask if we're "alive"!
- Wait some time: eventually, someone will answer, don't count on instant reaction.
- Be supportive: we can't read minds, so be specific! See "smart-questions" above!
- State your goal first, too, maybe you chose the wrong way.
- Show commitment: this is not a service hot-line, this is a do-it-yourself environment.
- Look up references yourself, use existing docs, learn to help yourself.
- Be patient (with yourself & fellows): answers are favors, not your right.
- You are supposed to do the actual work, you get advice and pointers.
- Don't flood the channel by pasting lots of lines (up to 4 lines is ok). If you have to paste a lot of lines:
- use a nopaste-website and post the URL to #archlinux channel (eg. pastebin).
- Disable auto-away messages & nick-changes! Use the silent /away feature of your client manually, nothing else!
- Last, but not least - keep it on topic. This is a support channel and nothing else!
- This means: no flamewars and no distro-bashing. We respect our competition.
As a bottom-line: if someone asks you to abide these rules, you better do it. Help to keep #archlinux a friendly and supportive place!
A typical #archlinux conversation
benny> openbox <3 wizzomafizzo> openbox <3 wizzomafizzo> openbox > * benny> openbox > fluxbox > * > emacs wizzomafizzo> I HATE EMACS benny> emacs sucks benny> vim ftw benny> vim > nano > * > ed (HAHAHHAHA) > emacs wizzomafizzo> vim <3 benny> ed is the standard editor. benny> emacs is a good OS benny> but it lacks a good text editor wizzomafizzo> I use nano for editing little config files and I only use vim for serious stuff, guys. benny> ruby ftw... perl sucks benny> cat /dev/urandom > test.pl; perl test.pl; echo $? => 0 hahahahhahaha wizzomafizzo> LOL benny> adobe photoshop cs3 > gimp wizzomafizzo> urxvt + irssi + screen + openbox + arch + kernel 18.104.22.168rc3 + X-svn ftw <3333333333333333333 benny> does anyone have the latest wine-cvs, I need it for my business... I'm a lead webdeveloper for a big consultation company and I use photoshop cs3 on linux for optimal performance benny> irssi + screen <3 wizzomafizzo> WTF WINE WAS RELEASED HALF AN HOUR AGO STILL NOT IN REPOS wizzomafizzo> WTF ARCH DEVS SUCK benny> WTF, when is kde4 in the repos? wizzomafizzo> omg arch so unstable they dont test packages!!!!!!!!!!!! wizzomafizzo> plz test pkgs more asrch benny> that pharmacist should STFU and drop kde so one wihht serious competence can take over wizzomafizzo> BBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW benny> how do I update kernel? benny> WHY IS AUR NOT IN pacman!!!! benny> I packman -s motif-application and it says command not found: ARCH BROKEN, debian no problem! QUESTIONS! wizzomafizzo> I vote for yaourt and it never goes in community wtf?????? wizzomafizzo> i'm using dpkg in arch so i don't waste all my debs benny> I install firefox, but I get bon echo. Arch bug, I demand fix immediately! wizzomafizzo> wtf i hate bon echo >_< benny> I can't browse with bon echo, what is this... some sort of joke? wizzomafizzo> i compile my own firefox benny> firefox <3, bon echo >3 benny> why is swiftweasel not in the repos... I have optimal performance now! wizzomafizzo> guys i have legitimate problem with weechat wizzomafizzo> WEECHAT LOL wizzomafizzo> USE IRSSI