Difference between revisions of "Arch Linux Stable"
|Line 5:||Line 5:|
Arch-Stable(ArchRock) is aimed at servers, not at desktop/workstation machines. We will provide a repository that is as stable as possible and should never
Arch-Stable(ArchRock) is aimed at servers, not at desktop/workstation machines. We will provide a repository that is as stable as possible and should never an update.
Revision as of 05:41, 19 November 2008
In reference to the discussion in this forum thread, the proposition has been put forth, initially by nagoola, to provide a stable branch or snapshot of the Arch Linux distribution.
Arch-Stable(ArchRock) is aimed at servers, not at desktop/workstation machines. We will provide a repository that is as stable as possible and should never break an update.
We will provide a repository, which is only updated for security-updates during a release-cycle(6-12 Months). Feature updates will not be made during a release-cycle. Each release will be based on the official Arch-Repositories. We will only be providing the packages from [core] + some extra packages, which are often used by servers, like apache, php, mysql, etc.
In the context of the Arch-Stable Branch, 'stable' will mean: Packages should never crash during runtime, be bug-free and should never be broken by updates.
- Project Leader - Delegate tasks and project direction.
- Packagers - Choosing and handling packages to add to the snapshot repository.
- Testers - Testing the stability of packages, logistics, and assistance.
- Repository - Will require a server.
- Programmers - Code necessary tools.
IRC - irc.freenode.net #archlinux-stable
Mailing list - email@example.com Send e-mail with the subject 'subscribe'
or view the archive here: http://www.freelists.org/archives/archlinux-stable/
Web Site - http://arch-stable.wholebean.info/
Currently, the project has recruited these members:
- Nihathrael - Project Management / Programming / Documentation / Homepage / Package maintenance
- rxKaffee - Programming / Provides testing server / Package maintenance / Homepage
- sixty-four-bit - Packager
- Basn - Packager
- AndyRTR - technical adviser, moderation / coordination if wanted/needed, maybe some packaging for core stuff
- nagoola - Project Idea
(Please add/remove your name as appropriate and state briefly what you are qualified to offer to the project.)
We are currently setting up a test server for developers to use, which will not be publicly announced. If you would like to join development, please join #archlinux-stable at irc.freenode.net.
We are still looking for server-space that we can use to release the core-stable repository to the public. Please contact nihathrael if you would like to offer hosting. Please refer to the mailing list for newest information.
Last updated: Nihathrael 16:03, 28 February 2008 (EST)