About This Page
Active Project Maintainers
- Prurigro (prurigro at gmail dot com) - Contributor/Maintainer, Patches, PKGBUILD & 32bit Testing
- Anish (anish.7 at gmail dot com) - Patches, PKGBUILD & 32bit Testing
- Paulingham (paul.ingham at beefeatingmonkeys dot com) - 64bit Patches, 64bit PKGBUILD & 64bit Testing
- 'makepkg' -> 'sudo makepkg -asroot'
- 'yaourt' -> 'sudo yaourt -S boxee-source'
As of pacman 3.3, this should no longer be required
An up to date xorg/ati installation reportedly breaks boxee, and the only known fix right now is to downgrade libgl and ati-dri to 7.4.4
Quick Start Guide
This assumes i686 architecture. If you're using 64bit, I can't help you.
2. yaourt -S boxee-source OR if you have nvidia binary it MUST be sudo yaourt -S boxee-source. Maybe it'll even install all the dependencies for you! That'd be nice, wouldn't it?
3. To save you what may have been hours looking in vain for the command to start the fracking program, it is
4. Also, if you receive errors related to the following files, you can fix it with symbolic links, whatever they might be:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libgssapi.so.2 /usr/lib/libgssapi_krb5.so.2
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libnspr4.so /usr/lib/libnspr4.so.0d
5. If you get a segmentation fault, uh...
You could try removing the libgl driver? I replaced mine with nvidia and didn't get this error anymore. But possibly the error was unrelated to libgl. Maybe I wrote a crappy xorg. Or something.
6. Consult the boxee source page on the AUR if you have further problems. Maybe you need to download some extra libraries or something? Who knows?
7. Please, someone, make this guide better!
There are a couple of issues with updating the PKGBUILD to beta as of now
1. There is no source release, only a .deb is available.
2. This one's the showstopper, downloads need a signin and a unique download url give out to those who signed up for early access (as of 25th Dec 2009).
3. There are some dependency issues with libtiff
WIP to get it running on Arch. There's a 64 bit version available as well, so it might work just as well on 64bit too.
64bit flash support (hulu/monty python etc)
The flash player provided with boxee is released only in binary format. After a great deal of work and waiting, boxee-source finally supports flash content in 32bit, however; to support 64bit we need to wait for the boxee team to release 64bit binaries, and sadly there hasn't been much talk in this direction.
However, it is possible to install a 32-bit chroot Arch environment as per the Arch64_FAQ, make sure to enter the environment you set up using linux32 chroot /opt/arch32, and install the appropriate binaries (xorg, nvidia drivers if necessary, yaourt, and Firefox and flash for Hulu) build a 32-bit Boxee-source in the chroot, and run from the 64-bit command line using schroot -p -- /opt/boxee/run-boxee-desktop. Seems to work great on my amd64 box. I've successfully watched video content in 32-bit Boxee using this method.
If anyone can figure out how to get lirc working with this setup, that would be wonderful.