This is a short tutorial on installing the Brother HL-2170W (and the HL-2140) printer with CUPS on Arch Linux. If you previously tried to install the printer in CUPS, remove it. This printer will work a few different ways: with Foomatic, with the HP PCL6 driver, or with cupswrapper. For further info on cupswrapper please see the Brother MFC-440CN guide.
Setup printer and CUPS
This printer has a web-based interface. To avoid some extra Google queries, the HL-2170w web interface default username is 'admin' and the default password is 'access'.
It is recommended that you configure the HL-2170W to have a static IP so that CUPS will always work with it (steps not detailed in this article).
- Install CUPS and Foomatic:
# pacman -S cups foomatic-db foomatic-db-engine foomatic-db-nonfree foomatic-filters ghostscript
- Start the cups daemon:
# rc.d start cupsd
- Optionally edit your rc.conf to start cups on boot:
DAEMONS=(... @cupsd ...)
- Open a web browser to http://localhost:631/
- Click the Add Printer button on the Administration tab.
Continue to one of the following subsections:
Using IPP (recommended method)
This method details how to connect to your printer over a LAN or WLAN.
- Select IPP from the list.
- In the 'Connection' field, type
- In the next form, give the printer a unique name (no spaces and the name be must unique from any identical printers), and select "Brother" from the printer make field.
- Select "Brother HL-2170W Foomatic/ljet4e (en)" from the list of drivers.
- Configure the default options on the next page to your liking.
Using the HP PCL6 driver (alternative method 1)
This driver is not ideal, but it works.
- Click the Add Printer Button (fill out the form) (click Continue)
- Select Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) from the drop down menu (click Continue)
- In the Device URI field add the following line:
http://printer:631/ipp/port1Where printer is the IP address or DNS name of your printer (click Continue)
- Select "HP" under Make (click Continue)
- Select HP LaserJet Series PCL 6 CUPS (en) (click Add Printer)
Some simple reminders
- Sometimes if you get simple errors like "spool not ready" or "ipp backend failed", there is a good chance you have to resume the printer by selecting the Maintenance drop down and selecting Resume Printer.