This is a short tutorial on installing the Brother HL-2270DW printer with CUPS on Arch Linux.
Installing printer drive
# pacman -S rpmextract
Download printer driver from the Brother website
$ mkdir ~/brother && cd ~/brother $ wget http://www.brother.com/pub/bsc/linux/dlf/cupswrapperHL2270DW-2.0.4-2.i386.rpm $ wget http://www.brother.com/pub/bsc/linux/dlf/hl2270dwlpr-2.1.0-1.i386.rpm
Extract those rpm
$ rpmextract cupswrapperHL2270DW-2.0.4-2.i386.rpm $ rpmextract hl2270dwlpr-2.1.0-1.i386.rpm
Copy files in /usr/local
$ sudo cp -R ./usr/local/Brother /usr/local
Extract PPD and cups filter from a script
Setup printer and CUPS
This printer has a web-based interface. To avoid some extra Google queries, the HL-2270DW web interface default username is 'admin' and the default password is 'access'.
It is recommended that you configure the HL-2270DW to have a static IP so that CUPS will always work with it (steps not detailed in this article).
- Install CUPS and Foomatic:
# pacman -S cups a2ps
- Start the cups daemon:
# systemctl start cups
- Open a web browser to http://localhost:631/
- Click the Add Printer button on the Administration tab.
- Select IPP from the list.
- In the 'Connection' field, type
- In the next form, give the printer a unique name (no spaces and the name be must unique from any identical printers), and select "Brother" from the printer make field.
- Select "Brother HL-2170W Foomatic/hl1250" from the list of drivers.
- Configure the default options on the next page to your liking.
Some simple reminders
- Sometimes if you get simple errors like "spool not ready" or "ipp backend failed", there is a good chance you have to resume the printer by selecting the Maintenance drop down and selecting Resume Printer.