This is a short tutorial on installing the Brother HL-2270DW printer with CUPS on Arch Linux.
Installing printer driver
There are two methods to install the HL-2270DW printer driver:
Install via rpm
Install official repositories.from the
# pacman -S rpmextract
Download printer driver from the Brother web site
$ mkdir ~/brother && cd ~/brother $ wget http://www.brother.com/pub/bsc/linux/dlf/cupswrapperHL2270DW-2.0.4-2.i386.rpm $ wget http://www.brother.com/pub/bsc/linux/dlf/hl2270dwlpr-2.1.0-1.i386.rpm
Extract those rpm
$ rpmextract.sh cupswrapperHL2270DW-2.0.4-2.i386.rpm $ rpmextract.sh hl2270dwlpr-2.1.0-1.i386.rpm
Copy files into
$ sudo cp -R ./usr/local/Brother /usr/local
Execute the script from the cupswrapper package to create the PPD and filter files
Setup printer and CUPS
This printer has a web-based interface. To avoid some extra Google queries, the HL-2270DW web interface default username is 'admin' and the default password is 'access'.
It is recommended that you configure the HL-2270DW to have a static IP so that CUPS will always work with it (steps not detailed in this article).
- Install CUPS and Foomatic:
# pacman -S cups a2ps
- Start the cups daemon:
# systemctl start cups
- Open a web browser to http://localhost:631/
- Click the Add Printer button on the Administration tab.
- Select IPP from the list.
- In the 'Connection' field, type
- In the next form, give the printer a unique name (no spaces and the name be must unique from any identical printers), and select "Brother" from the printer make field.
- Select "Brother HL-2270DW for CUPS (en)" from the list of drivers.
- Configure the default options on the next page to your liking
- Set Duplex to DuplexNoTumble for double-side printing
- Set TonerSave to on to enable toner saving
64 bit system
If you are running a pure 64 bit system, then you may see this debug message in the CUPS error log file:
/usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperHL2270DW: line 141: /usr/local/Brother/Printer/HL2270DW/cupswrapper/brcupsconfig4: No such file or directory
This occurs because brcupsconfig4 needs package lib32-glibc
# pacman -S lib32-glibc
If you installed lib32-glibc afterwards, then you may have to copy the file brlpdwrapperHL2270DW manually to /usr/lib/cups/filter/.
Margins are off
If your margins are off, you can try to use the Brother HL-2170W.
- Click here to download the PPD file for the Brother HL-2170W
- Go to CUPS->administration->manage printers. Select your printer. Then in the administration drop-down select 'modify printer'.
- Once you get to the Menu asking you to select your printer, click on "select another make/manufacturer". Next click on the "choose file" button.
- Select Brother-HL-2170W-hpijs-pcl5e.ppd
Some simple reminders
- Sometimes if you get simple errors like "spool not ready" or "ipp backend failed", there is a good chance you have to resume the printer by selecting the Maintenance drop down and selecting Resume Printer.