This is a short tutorial on installing the Brother HL-2270DW printer with CUPS on Arch Linux.
Installing printer driver
Install the AUR.AUR package from the
Setup printer and CUPS
This printer has a web-based interface. To avoid some extra Google queries, the HL-2270DW web interface default username is 'admin' and the default password is 'access'.
It is recommended that you configure the HL-2270DW to have a static IP so that CUPS will always work with it (steps not detailed in this article).
- Install CUPS and Foomatic:
# pacman -S cups a2ps
- Start the cups daemon:
# systemctl start cups
- Open a web browser to http://localhost:631/
- Click the Administration tab then click the Add Printer button.
- Select IPP from the list.
- In the 'Connection' field, type
- In the next form, give the printer a unique name (no spaces and the name be must unique from any identical printers), and select "Brother" from the printer make field.
- Select "Brother HL2270DW for CUPS (en)" from the list of drivers (it is not in numerical order and is toward the bottom of the list).
- Configure the default options on the next page to your liking
- Set Duplex to DuplexNoTumble for double-side printing
- Set TonerSave to on to enable toner saving
Margins are off
If your margins do not fit the page selected, check to see if the the Brother HL-2170W (Postscript Printer Description) PPD will fix the problem.
- Click the 'directly download PPD' link for the Brother HL-2170W
- Go to CUPS->Administration->Manage Printers. Select your printer under 'Queue Name'.
- In the 'Administration' drop-down, select 'Modify Printer'; your IP address will be selected, click 'Continue' button; your current printer information will be shown with other options.
- Click on the "Select Another Make/Manufacturer"; click "Choose File" button.
- Navigate to the file you downloaded "Brother-HL-2170W-hpijs-pcl5e.ppd"
- Click 'Modify Printer'.
- Click on the 'Maintenance' drop-down and select 'Print Test Page'. Check margins for conformance to the page size selected.
Some simple reminders
- Sometimes if you get simple errors like "spool not ready" or "ipp backend failed", there is a good chance you have to resume the printer by selecting the Maintenance drop down and selecting Resume Printer.
- To set default printer for printing in a console:
$ lpoptions -d <PRINTER_NAME>.