This is a small tutorial to make the Brother HL-5140 printer work on Arch Linux. If you previously tried to install the printer in CUPS, remove it.
Install , and .
Next configure cups to allow access to the web interface for relevent users:
A user-name and password will be required when administering the printer in the web interface, such as: adding or removing printers, stopping print tasks, etc. The default user-name is the one assigned in the sys group, or root (change this by editing /etc/cups/cupsd.conf in the line of SystemGroup). (Source)
Then blacklist the
usblp kernel module. See Kernel_modules#Blacklisting for instructions.
Now turn on and plug in the printer. Then start the cups daemon.
Now go to http://localhost:631
- Go to Administration
- Click 'Add Printer'
- Select the printer (which should be listed under 'Local Printers' and click 'Continue'
- Configure the name, description, location and sharing.
- Select 'Brother' as the printer make
- Select 'Brother HL-5140 - CUPS+Gutenprint vX.X.X (xx)' and then click 'Add Printer'
- Finish by configuring any settings
The printer should work fine now.