This will follow the steps involved in setting up ArchLinux on a Compal CL56/CL56P Laptop. This is a very common base laptop system that is rebranded by a lot of different companies. This is specifically going to be about the steps needed for a Velocity Micro B51 Campus Edition working fully. There is a linux-laptop.net page:  for the CL56, as well as another page here:  also for the CL56.
This will follow all the special things I have had to do and anything new that I come across as it happens. Out of the 'box' as it were Arch works decently.
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82855PM Processor to I/O Controller (rev 21) 00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82855PM Processor to AGP Controller (rev 21) 00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03) 00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03) 00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03) 00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 03) 00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 83) 00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DBM (ICH4-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 03) 00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DBM (ICH4-M) IDE Controller (rev 03) 00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller (rev 03) 00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03) 00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03) 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10] 02:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host Controller (rev 80) 02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10) 02:02.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection (rev 05) 02:03.0 CardBus bridge: ENE Technology Inc CB1410 Cardbus Controller (rev 01)
- Wireless (Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG)
- The ipw2200 driver to make it work is included in the kernel, the card supports managed, ad-hoc and monitor modes.
- The wifi switch needs the acerhk module: its source is available at , but a PKGBUILD is available on the AUR.
- After compiling the module, it needs to be added to the MODULES array in /etc/rc.conf. The AUR build includes a daemon that activates the module, to have it started at boot time add it to the DAEMONS array in /etc/rc.conf.
- SD (Secure Digital) card reader/writer
- It is physically located just underneath the CardBus slot.
- MMC read/write support works with mmc_block driver.
- Add mnt/mmc directory and the following line to /etc/fstab
/dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/mmc vfat rw,user,auto,exec,sync 0 0
- After loading the snd_intel8x0 module the card works without problems.
- ATI Radeon
- just follow Ati Radeon & Kernel 2.6
- use X.org and just download the proper driver from ATI homepage
- performance is is about 2100 fps with glxgears and 410 fps with fgl_glxgears if drivers are installed correctly
- VGA Dual Monitor Head Output/S-Video output
- works, just use the configuration application included with ATI drivers
- works with standard kernel, just add the following line to /etc/rc.local
- add irda ircomm ircomm-tty to /etc/rc.conf MODULES list.
- for using GPRS over IR add the following line to /etc/rc.local
mknod /dev/ppp c 108 0
and use pppconfig to configure the connection settings (use /dev/ttyS0 as the port)
Power Saving Tips
Load the OnDemand Governor at boot time, add the following to /etc/rc.sysinit
status "Setting CpuFreq Governor to OnDemand" echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor