zh-CN:DVD Ripping Template:Article summary start Template:Article summary text Template:Article summary heading Template:Article summary wiki Template:Article summary wiki Template:Article summary wiki Template:Article summary heading Template:Article summary wiki Template:Article summary wiki Template:Article summary wiki Template:Article summary end
Ripping is the process of copying audio or video content to a hard disk, typically from removable media or media streams.
Often, the process of ripping a DVD can be broken down into two subtasks:
- Data extraction - Copying the audio and/or video data to a hard disk
- Transcoding - Converting the extracted data into a suitable format
Some utilities perform both tasks, whilst others focus on one aspect or the other.
dvdbackup is used simply for data extraction, and does not transcode. This tool is useful for creating exact copies of encrypted DVDs in conjunction with or for decrypting video for other utilities unable to read encrypted DVDs.
dvd::rip is a front-end to, used to extract and transcode on-the-fly.
The following packages should be installed:
- : GTK front-end for , which performs the ripping and encoding
- : Software codec for DV video
- : If you want to encode your ripped files as XviD, an open source MPEG-4 video codec (free alternative to DivX)
- AUR) AUR: If you want to encode your ripped files as DivX (available in the
The dvd::rip preferences are mostly well-documented/self-explanatory. If you need help with something, see http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/doc/gui-gui_pref.cipp.
Ripping a DVD is often a simple matter of selecting the preferred codec(s), selecting the desired titles, then clicking the "Rip" button.
Ffmpeg is capable to do a direct rip in any format (audio/video) from a DVD-Video .iso image, just select the input as the *.iso image and proceed with the desired options. It also allows to downmixing, shrinking, spliting, selecting streams among other features.
HandBrake is a multithreaded video transcoder, which offers both a graphical and command-line interface with many preset configurations. The package is available in the official repositories: .
MEncoder is a free command line video decoding, encoding and filtering tool released under the GNU General Public License. It is a close sibling to MPlayer and can convert all the formats that MPlayer understands into a variety of compressed and uncompressed formats using different codecs. Wrapper programs like AUR and AUR can provide an assistive interface.
Hybrid is a multi platform (Linux/Mac OS X/Windows) Qt based frontend for a bunch of other tools which can convert nearly every input to x264/Xvid/VP8 + ac3/ogg/mp3/aac/flac inside an mp4/m2ts/mkv/webm/mov/avi container, a Blu-ray or an AVCHD structure.
A package is available in the AUR: AUR.
For detailed information visit the homepage.
From Wikipedia - DVD-VR:
- The DVD-VR standard defines a logical format for video recording on DVD-R, DVD-RW, and DVD-RAM style media, including the dual layer versions of these media. As opposed to media recorded with the DVD+VR recording standard, the resulting media are not DVD-Video compliant, and will not play back in some DVD-Video players. Most DVD video recorders in the market that support DVD-R, DVD-RW, or DVD-RAM media will allow recording to these media in DVD-VR mode, as well as in a DVD-Video compliant mode. It is possible to use the DVD-VR format with DVD+R and DVD+RW media, but no examples are known other than some PC based recording utilities.
.VRO files extracted from a DVD-VR can be easily converted and splitted in regular .VOB files using the DVD-VR program.
Install AUR.AUR from the
None of the above programs are able to rip/encode a DVD to my hard disk!
Make sure the region of your DVD-reader is set correctly, otherwise you'll get loads of unexplainable CSS-related errors. UseAUR to do so.
- RIAA and actual laws allow backup of physically obtained media under these conditions RIAA - the law.