Dell Inspiron 8500
I didn't even finished the text, so don't follow exactly whats here, only inspire yourself until I'm finished. ArchLinux is my best experience so far with linux on this computer, even if its a laptop! I've tried Mandrake 10, 10.1, Suse 9.2, Gentoo 2004.3 and Fedora Core 2 and 3. I really like the KISS philosophy!
- Clean up new wiki. MediaWiki is great but has break all the layout... Need to clean this mess!
- Make swsusp2 work
- Clean up of acpi/cpufreq with the governor chooser
- ACPI daemon and events
- Better kernel configuration display
- Ethernet: Broadcom chip, use b44 module
- Wireless: Dell TrueMobile 1300 ndiswrapper
- Audio: ac97 (?)
- Display: 1920x1200
- InfraRed (IrDa)
- nVidia Geforce4 4200 Go (64 Mb)
Unknown / Untested
A working v2.6.19 config is at http://pastebin.archlinux.org/345
I suggest you read Gentoo Power Management Guide for great information. After some work on this I wanted to add some information specific to the I8500.
Modprobe the modules :
Then set the governor by using cpufreq-set. For ondemand :
# cpufreq-set -g ondemand
For performance (higher frequency):
# cpufreq-set -g performance
For powersaving (lower freqency) :
# cpufreq-set -g powersave