Dell Latitude D810
This section will describe the installation and configuration process of Arch Voodoo 0.8 with Gnome on a Dell Latitude D810 laptop.
So far Arch is working very well on this laptop.
- Audio: SIGMATEL STAC 975X AC97
- CPU: Intel Pentium M 750 (1.86Ghz)
- LCD: 15.4" WUXGA (1900x1200)
- Network: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet
- Wireless: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG
- Video: ATI Mobility Radeon X600 128MB
I downloaded the Arch Voodoo 0.8 beta version. I decided to install only the base system for you can build your system without all the clump other distributions have to offer. The install process was super fast and I did not encounter any problem.
I will try to document and add screens it as much as I can during the next couple of days.
The PC now boots blazing fast! This is by far the fastest this PC has ever booted! I would say it takes less than 10 seconds. I know I dont have all the daemons in my rc.conf yet but... :D
The network card is working out of the box using the tg3 driver. Unless you've changed the settings in your config files, you will need to call the dhcp daemon to get an IP from your router or whatever.
- Audio (ALSA)
- Video (xf86-video-ati)
- Wireless (ipw2200-fw)
- Network (tg3)
- Divx (Mplayer)
- Torrents (bittornado - im still looking at how to start it at boot time)
Need Fixing / Polishing
- Fonts are super ugly.
- Fonts are too small.
- Colors are not nice.
- Need to compile a custom kernel.
- Need to write a custom perl script for wireless.
- Where is the xorg.conf?