Dell XPS 15 7590
|Discrete Nvidia Graphics||Modify|
|EFI firmware updates||Working|
|Fingerprint reader[broken link: invalid section]||Not working|
This page contains recommendations for running Arch Linux on the Dell XPS 15 7590 (2019).
Before installing it is necessary to modify some UEFI Settings. They can be accessed by pressing the F2 key repeatedly when booting.
- Change the SATA Mode from the default "RAID" to "AHCI". This will allow Linux to detect the NVME SSD. If dual booting with an existing Windows installation, Windows will not boot after the * change but this can be fixed without a reinstallation.
- Change Fastboot to "Thorough" in "POST Behaviour". This prevents intermittent boot failures.
- Disable secure boot to allow Linux to boot.
Firmware images can be found at Dell support page. Keeping an existing Windows system will make updates of BIOS much simpler. If a clean Arch Linux install is the case in order to install:
- Download the desired firmware from section "Dell XPS 15 7590 System BIOS"
- Save it in
/boot/EFI/Dell/Bios/(this path may vary, depending on your installation)
- Reboot the system, and enter the boot menu by pressing repeatedly
F12on Dell logo
- Choose "Bios Flash Update"
- Select the file previously saved, and start the process
The process will take about five minutes, during which the system will have some reboots and push fans at maximum speed. Finally the system will reboot normally.