How to install Diablo II under Archlinux
This page explains how to install Diablo II and play it under Archlinux. This works as of latest patch 1.13c. I tested with xf86-ati-radeon driver.
Install the wine package.
# pacman -S wine
Download Diablo II and Diablo II Lord of Destruction installation files from battle.net. I downloaded them on Windows and them moved via USB stick. You can also run the downloaders directly from Arch. They will produce 2 folders: D2-1.12A-enUS and D2LOD-12.12A-enUS (locale may be different for you).
After that, go to first folder and run
$ wine Installer.exe
Enter your product key which can be found of battle.net and install. After it is finished, go to the second folder and run the same command. Once both are installed, download patch 1.13c from the Internet as updater will not work. The file name is LODPatch_113c.exe. After that, run:
$ wine LODPatch_113c.exe
- Run "D2VidTst.exe". It will find the installed drivers. Choose Direct 3D.
- Run "winecfg" and create a new application profile.
- Add Application -> Choose "D2Loader-1.11b.exe"
- Windows Version -> Windows 2000 or Windows XP
- Audio -> Select just ALSA
- Graphics -> Unselect "Allow the window manager to control the windows." We do that to be able to press Alt/Shift and mouse buttons at the same time while playing. It's a must-do for Diablo.
- Leave anything else unchanged (I assume you already set the "Drives" properly)
- Run "D2Loader-1.11b.exe" and enjoy.
- Problem 4
- You may get an error while connecting BNET saying that your exe is unrecognized. It's simply because you run it from outside of Diablo 2 directory directory.
Here is how my desktop entry looks...
[Desktop Entry] Version=1.0 Encoding=UTF-8 Name=Diablo II - Lord of Destruction Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/cosku/.wine" wine "C:\\Program Files\\Diablo II\\D2Loader-1.11b.exe" -sleepy -skiptobnet Type=Application Path=/home/cosku/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/Diablo II Icon=/home/cosku/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Diablo II/d2x.ico GenericName[en_US]=