Originally posted in the Arch forums
- Wine 0.9.39
- Working OpenGL drivers (Nvidia/Ati)
- Diablo 2 and/or LoD (I used a pirate copy, but hey I have my original cd keys)
- Latest LoD or Diablo 2 patch (1.11b)
- D2Loader for 1.11b (Website here)
- Put the INSTALL cd and run the "INSTALL.EXE". (It's a good idea to choose FULL INSTALL)
- Problem 1
- A very common problem here is that the progress window blocks the CD swap dialog so you think that it doesn't install anything. A quick fix is to select "Emulate a virtual desktop" from winecfg.
- Problem 2
- Here you may have an other little problem. If you run "INSTALL.EXE" form a bash command when the setup asks for you to change the disc, you won't be able to eject it because bash is making the cdrom busy. Here there is 2 solutions. Weather you type "wine eject" in the console or you just run "INSTALL.EXE" by double clicking it and choosing "wine" as the appropriate application.
- (Optional) Now that the setup is over you put the expansion disc (LoD) and install it just like before.
- Copy all the missing *.mpq files from cds to your Diablo 2 directory.
- Apply the latest patches according to your install. (Use just one patch, Diablo 2 or LoD)
- Problem 3
- Patch should work flawlessly but if you're using a pirate copy, after upgrade, it will ask for the expansion cd no matter what you put in. Don't worry, just hit the cancel to complete the upgrade process. (It may say that patching is unsuccessful. It's not important)
- Unzip the D2Loader to the Diablo 2 directory.
- Run "D2VidTst.exe". It will find the installed drivers. Choose Direct 3D.
- Run "winecfg" and create a new application profile.
- Add Application -> Choose "D2Loader-1.11b.exe"
- Windows Version -> Windows 2000 or Windows XP
- Audio -> Select just ALSA
- Graphics -> Unselect "Allow the window manager to control the windows." We do that to be able to press Alt/Shift and mouse buttons at the same time while playing. It's a must-do for Diablo.
- Leave anything else unchanged (I assume you already set the "Drives" properly)
- Run "D2Loader-1.11b.exe" and enjoy.
- Problem 4
- You may get an error while connecting BNET saying that your exe is unrecognized. It's simply because you run it from outside of Diablo 2 directory directory.
Here is how my desktop entry looks...
[Desktop Entry] Version=1.0 Encoding=UTF-8 Name=Diablo II - Lord of Destruction Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/cosku/.wine" wine "C:\\Program Files\\Diablo II\\D2Loader-1.11b.exe" -sleepy -skiptobnet Type=Application Path=/home/cosku/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/Diablo II Icon=/home/cosku/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Diablo II/d2x.ico GenericName[en_US]=