|Summary help replacing me|
|This article addresses the steps necessary to run and configure dwb.|
dwb is an extremely fast, lightweight and flexible web browser using the webkit engine. It is customizable through its web interface and fully usable with keyboard shortcuts.
- 1 Installation
- 2 Basic usage
- 3 Configuration
- 4 Extensions
- 5 Userscripts
- 6 Stylesheets
- 7 Troubleshooting
# pacman -S dwb
There are also other versions in the AUR: AUR, AUR, and AUR.
Read the man page for more details and enable the
auto-completion option in the settings to help you learn the bindings.
$ man dwb
dwb features some very interesting bindings. Note that some of them may need the latest development version.
- Template:KeypressTemplate:Keypress toggles the visibility of the current tab, which means that if you switch tab, they will be displayed side by side! You can to this with more than 2 tabs as well.
- Press Template:Keypress on an editable element to edit it from favorite editor. The content will be replaced once you close it. This can be very helpful for forum and wikis.
- Press Template:Keypress to switch to caret browsing, then press Template:Keypress to toggle between caret and visual mode. Press Template:Keypress one or two times to go back to normal mode. While in caret browsing, you can use the arrow keys to browse the different parts of the page. Hold Template:Keypress to select text. Press Template:Keypress to follow links.
- Use Template:KeypressTemplate:Keypress to toggle source view.
- Use Template:Keypress to follow links via hints. You can use arrow keys to browse the hints while displaying their URI, or use the hint letters. Note that the letters are displayed uppercase for readability only, you actually have to press the lowercase letters. Use Template:Keypress to follow the link in a new tab, Template:KeypressTemplate:Keypress to open the tab in the background.
- Use Template:KeypressTemplate:Keypress to download via hints.
- Template:KeypressTemplate:Keypress will toggle the tab bar and the status bar, Template:Keypress will go fullscreen and Template:Keypress will go fullscreen while hiding the bars.
- You can follow multiple links via hints by opening tabs in the background with Template:KeypressTemplate:Keypress.
The configuration files are stored in
Now you can use the keyword in the URI prompt to search directly on the corresponding website.
The first entry in
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/dwb/searchengines will be the default search engine.
You can create custom key bindings by editing file
custom_keys in the profile directory. This is
~/.config/dwb/default by default. All keysyms which don't emit (multi)byte characters, must be enclosed in
@. One keybind can execute multiple dwb commands. These commands execute in same order as they are defined in bind, and must be separated by
;; separator. If the keybind's chord is already bound by dwb, it might be ignored (behaviour is not consistent). In such case one can try to check, whether there is collison with binds defined in
~/.config/dwb/keys and try to unbind the chord there (eg set it to nothing). Any running dwb instance will owerwrite
keys file on exit, so remember to do your modifications while dwb is not runing or use default dwb interface (S k).
Control w :close_tab Control @Page_Up@ :focus_prev Control @Page_Down@ :focus_next
dwb features an extension manager as a separate executable, dwbem. To list all officially available extensions, use:
Available extensions: - adblock_subscriptions - autoquvi - contenthandler - downloadhandler - formfiller - googlebookmarks - googledocs - grabscrolling - multimarks - perdomainsettings - pwdhash - requestpolicy - simplyread - speeddial - supergenpass - unique_tabs - userscripts - whitelistshortcuts
Read the man page for more details.
dwb features an Adblock extension. Install it with
$ dwbem -i adblock_subscriptions
Restart dwb, use the adblock_subscribe command and choose your favorite filter (avoid using more than one filter to prevent duplicate entries that make the adblocker much slower).
dwb can execute .js or .sh scripts put in
~/.config/dwb/userscripts/. Make sure they are executable:
chmod +x ~/.config/dwb/userscripts/myscript.js
Below are some example scripts:
Prevents previously-opened tabs from reloading all at once after a restart.
Opens YouTube videos with mplayer (requiresand ).
Stylesheets can be defined in the Settings page under user-stylesheet-uri file:///home/tux/.config/dwb/stylesheet.css
HTML5 audio and video does not work
Make sure you have the following GStreamer packages installed:
# pacman -S --needed gstreamer0.10 gstreamer0.10-bad gstreamer0.10-bad-plugins gstreamer0.10-base gstreamer0.10-base-plugins gstreamer0.10-good gstreamer0.10-good-plugins gstreamer0.10-ugly gstreamer0.10-ugly-plugins
Search engines always search for undefined
If you are always searching for undefined even with the
searchengine-submit-pattern option set, then you should edit
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/dwb/searchengines and adapt the URIs to match your
Fuzzy font in Github
Add this in your ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf inside the fontconfig-tags:
<selectfont> <rejectfont> <pattern> <patelt name="family"> <string>Clean</string> </patelt> </pattern> </rejectfont> </selectfont>