E17 is the Development Release 17 (DR17) of the Enlightenment Desktop Environment.
E17 is currently under heavy development, and is in the pre-alpha stages. Even though it is only young, E17 is still quite stable. Many people use it as a day-to-day Environment.
New versions are available daily via CVS, but snapshots are also taken for easy installation. Below are instructions on how to install a snapshot from the Arch community repositories.
- First, edit your /etc/pacman.conf file and uncomment the community repositories by removing the hash at the start of that line; you should end up with something like the following:
... # Add your preferred servers here, they will be used first Include = /etc/pacman.d/community ...
- Next, run 'pacman -Syu' to update, using the new (community) repositories.
- Then run 'pacman -S e17' to fetch & install e17.
- If you don't already have libpng installed, you'll need that too.
- Now just edit your ~/.xinitrc file to have the following line:
Note : If you know what you're doing, you could also use takhis e17-cvs repo (see "Links")
More themes to customise the look of e17 are available from Get-E.org
Just save these *.edj files in your ~/.e/e/themes/ directory, then you can select it as a theme either from the menu --> Themes --> <your theme>, or under the control panel, in 'Theme Selector'.
- If X complains about X cursors not being available, get the package 'libxcursor'.
Maverick & Reverie do maintain e17-cvs repos for i686 & x86_64. They're called [takhis], and most users feedbacks are good. You'll find the information on the forum