E17 is the Development Release 17 (DR17) of the Enlightenment Desktop Environment.
E17 is currently under heavy development, and is in the pre-alpha stages. Even though it is only young, E17 is still quite stable. Many people use it as a day-to-day Environment.
New versions are available daily via CVS, but snapshots are also taken for easy installation. Below are instructions on how to install a snapshot from the Arch community repositories.
- First, edit your /etc/pacman.conf file and uncomment the community repositories by removing the hash at the start of that line; you should end up with something like the following:
... # Add your preferred servers here, they will be used first Include = /etc/pacman.d/community ...
- Next, run 'pacman -Syu' to update, using the new (community) repositories.
- Install additional e17 modules and applications with 'pacman -S e17-extra-cvs'
- If you need an e17 package which is not (yet) available in the [community] repo, see if it is available in the AUR.
- You are now ready to start e17. You can do this in a number of ways:
- Add a line reading 'enlightenment_start' to your ~/.xinitrc
- Start the entrance login manager (available in the e17-extra-cvs group) by adding 'entranced' to the modules aray in /etc/rc.conf
- Start the entrance login manager by using the line 'x:5:respawn:/usr/sbin/entranced -nodaemon >& /dev/null' in /etc/inittab
Note : e17 is still alpha software. At some point in the future things may not work as expected anymore. Although all packages are tested before added to the [community] repo, things may stop working for you. You are therefore encouraged to keep packages for the previous version on your computer, allowing you to downgrade if needed.
If you find some unexpected behavior, there is a few things you can do. First try if the same behavior exists with the default theme. Second remove ~/.e (you may want to make a backup first). If you are sure you found a bug please report it directly upstream. If you are not sure if it is a bug in the software or in the package, report it on the [community] bug tracker.
Currently no x86_64 packages are available for e17. They will appear as soon as possible.
More themes to customise the look of e17 are available from Get-E.org
Just save these *.edj files in your ~/.e/e/themes/ directory, then you can select it as a theme either from the menu --> Themes --> <your theme>, or under the control panel, in 'Theme Selector'.
- If X complains about X cursors not being available, get the package 'libxcursor'.
Maverick & Reverie do maintain e17-cvs repos for i686 & x86_64. They're called [takhis], and most users feedbacks are good. You'll find the information on the forum