E17 is the Development Release 17 (DR17) of the Enlightenment Desktop Environment.
E17 is currently under heavy development, and is in the pre-alpha stages. Even though it is only young, E17 is still quite stable. Many people use it as a day-to-day Environment.
New versions are available daily via SVN, but snapshots are also taken for easy installation. Below are instructions on how to install a SVN snapshot from the Arch community repositories.
- First, edit your /etc/pacman.conf file and uncomment the community repositories by removing the hash at the start of that line; you should end up with something like the following:
[community] # Add your preferred servers here, they will be used first Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
- Next, sync, update, and upgrade using the new community repository:
- Install e17 group:
pacman -S e17-svn
- Install additional e17 modules and applications:
pacman -S e17-extra-svn
- If you need an e17 package which is not (yet) available in the [community] repo, see if it is available in the AUR.
- You are now ready to start e17. You can do this in a number of ways:
- Add a line reading 'enlightenment_start' to your ~/.xinitrc
- Start the entrance login manager (available in the e17-extra-cvs group) by adding 'entranced' to the modules aray in /etc/rc.conf
- Start the entrance login manager by using the line 'x:5:respawn:/usr/sbin/entranced -nodaemon >& /dev/null' in /etc/inittab
Note : e17 is still alpha software. At some point in the future things may not work as expected anymore. Although all packages are tested before added to the [community] repo, things may stop working for you. You are therefore encouraged to keep packages for the previous version on your computer, allowing you to downgrade if needed.
If you find some unexpected behavior, there is a few things you can do. First try if the same behavior exists with the default theme. Second remove ~/.e (you may want to make a backup first). If you are sure you found a bug please report it directly upstream. If you are not sure if it is a bug in the software or in the package, report it on the [community] bug tracker.
You can install the themes (coming in .edj format) from the configuration dialog.
You can also change the theme for the etk toolkit (the one which is used by exhibit). You can start the dialog to change the etk toolkit by starting /usr/bin/etk_prefs
- If X complains about X cursors not being available, get the package 'libxcursor'.
- Exchange.enlightenment.org, a new, integrated site that replaces the former get-e.org. get-e.org will close in August, 2008.