This is a guide to install the freeware Playstation emulator ePSXe.
Many plugins can also be found on AUR.
Start epsxe with the lauchner (located in /usr/bin/), it creates .epsxe in your home and links to epsxe.
- In the menu, open "Config -> BIOS", and set it to /usr/share/epsxe/bios/SCPH1001.BIN
- Open "Config -> Video", and select either "Pete's XGL2 Driver 2.7" or "P.E.Op.S. Softx Driver 1.17". Click configure, then OK to write a config file. Verify that it is working by clicking the Test button.
- In "Config -> Sound" select "P.E.Op.S. OSS Audio Driver", Configure, OK. Verify with the Test button.
- In Config -> CDROM, set the path to your CD/DVD-ROM. In most cases it should be /dev/cdrom but in some /dev/hdc. You can check your path by typing "mount |grep cd" in a console.
- In Config -> Game Pad -> Pad 1 menu, you can set up the controls.
Now you should be all set.
If you want to use an original PSX CD-ROM, insert it and select "File -> Run CDROM" It might take a while for the game to load, so be patient.
You can load backup ISO:s from your hard disk with "File -> Run ISO.
When you are running your game you can press Esc any time to exit, save/load game states, or change discs. To get back, select Run -> Continue.
Problems and Workarounds
Plugins are not listed
Sometimes epsxe will not recognize your plugins even though they may be correctly installed. They should be installed to /opt/epsxe/cfg and /opt/epsxe/plugins a solution to this is to run epsxe once (if you have not already) and the file "epsxerc" will be generated in ~/.epsxe open it and it will list plugins. They may say "DISABLED" or list a plugin that dose not exist (such as libgpu.so or libspu.so) simply change the string to the plugin you have in your /opt/epsxe/plugins folder. Run epsxe and it should be working.
NOTE: If your are running epsxe from a 32bit chroot you will need install nvidia-utils (pacman -S nvidia-utils) to the chroot enviorment to use the xgl2 plugin.
File not found
Sometimes the symlinks in ~./epsxe will not let you run the epsxe executable even if the permission are correct and the link is working. You may simply copy the epsxe executable from /opt/epsxe to ~/.epsxe this can also be done for any other files or folders whose symlinks are not working correctly.
Settings will not be saved
It's a similar problem like not listed plugins. I recommend to install the epsxe-launcher-python package, it creates the directories for epsxe in your home too.
Sound device not found
If you using alsa and the sound plugin doesn't have sound, run :
# modprobe snd-pcm-oss