Fbterm is a Frame buffer terminal emulator that can function outside of Xorg.
- FbTerm is a fast terminal emulator for linux with frame buffer device or VESA video card. Features include:
- mostly as fast as terminal of linux kernel while accelerated scrolling is enabled
- select font with fontconfig and draw text with freetype2, same as Qt/Gtk+ based GUI apps
- dynamically create/destroy up to 10 windows initially running default shell
- record scroll-back history for every window
- auto-detect text encoding with current locale, support double width scripts like Chinese, Japanese etc
- switch between configurable additional text encodings with hot keys on the fly
- copy/past selected text between windows with mouse when gpm server is running
- change the orientation of screen display, a.k.a. screen rotation
- lightweight input method framework with client-server architecture
- background image for eye candy
After installation, mind the additional instructions:
==> To run fbterm as a non-root user, do: sudo gpasswd -a YOUR_USERNAME video ==> To enable keyboard shortcuts for non-root users, do: sudo setcap 'cap_sys_tty_config+ep' /usr/bin/fbterm or sudo chmod u+s /usr/bin/fbterm
Fbterm uses fontconfig for a list of fonts, trying each sequentially until it is able to render the characters.
To use a background image, Fbterm can be set to take a screen shot of the frame buffer device when it starts.