Gajim and OTR
OTR (off-the-record) encryption is strong end-to-end encryption protocol for instant messaging (read more). OTR hasn't any XMPP XEP, because OTR is of cross-protocol nature.
And Gajim is a powerful XMPP-client without OTR support out-of-the-box.
Gajim >= 0.15
Since version 0.15, Gajim has powerful plugin system. One plugin named gotr is an modern OTR implementation from Kjell Bradden.
To install it follow these simple steps:
- Be sure, that currently installed version of gajim >= 0.15. If 0.15 version is not available, install aur:gajim-hg;
- Install aur:python-potr;
- Install/update the gajim plugins from hg.
- Install mercurial: $ sudo pacman -S mercurial
- Go to gajim plugins directory: $ mkdir -p ~/.local/share/gajim/plugins/; cd ~/.local/share/gajim/plugins/
- (at first time) Download all plugins: hg clone http://hg.gajim.org/gajim-plugins/ .
- (at next times) Update plugins to newer versions: hg pull
- Start gajim;
- Go to menu Edit => Modules;
- Activate the "Off-the-record encryption" plugin
- (at first time) Click on plugin tweaking button, and generate your OTR key in gotr dialog.
- close dialogs to save the changes.
gajim <= 0.13
Note: gajim's otr-branch is unmaintained and obsoleted by gajim's plugin system (read above).
You can use aur:gajim-otr-hg PKGBUILD to build OTR-compatible 0.13 version of gajim. Main issues are:
- Received otr-encrypted messages with HTML markup will be rendered raw, unformatted, with HTML tags;
The OTR setting will be located in the last tab of gajim parameters (Ctrl+P) -> Off-the-record encryption.