Gajim and OTR
OTR (off-the-record) encryption is strong end-to-end encryption protocol for instant messaging (read more). OTR hasn't any XMPP XEP, because OTR is of cross-protocol nature.
And Gajim is a powerful XMPP-client without OTR support out-of-the-box.
Gajim >= 0.15 (or 0.14-hg)
Since version 0.15, Gajim has powerful plugin system. The gotr plugin is an modern OTR implementation from Kjell Bradden. gotr depends on python-potr.
To install the plugin follow these simple steps:
- Be sure, that currently installed version of gajim >= 0.15. If 0.15 version is not available, install aur:gajim-hg;
- Install aur:python-potr;
- Install/update the gajim plugins from hg.
- Install mercurial:
$ sudo pacman -S mercurial
- Go to gajim plugins directory:
$ mkdir -p ~/.local/share/gajim/plugins/; cd ~/.local/share/gajim/plugins/
- (at first time) Download all plugins:
$ hg clone http://hg.gajim.org/gajim-plugins/ .
- (optional, at next times) Update plugins to newer versions:
$ hg pull; hg up
- Install mercurial:
- [Re]Start gajim;
At first time, you also need to activate OTR plugin:
- Go to menu Edit => Modules;
- Activate the "Off-the-record encryption" plugin;
- Click on plugin settings button;
- Generate your OTR key using "Generate key";
- Take a look on other settings;
- Close dialogs to save the changes.
Q: "Off-the-record encryption" is not shown in Modules.
A: Be sure, that ~/.local/share/gajim/plugins/gotr/ is not empty and python-potr installed on latest version.
Q: There are no Modules item in gajim menu.
A: Go to Help => About. The gajim version should be 0.15 or something like 0.14.0.1-b9cb32f5badd, where "b9cb32f5badd" is any commit id, if gajim-hg is used. If not, update gajim as said earlier.
Gajim <= 0.13
Note: gajim's otr-branch is unmaintained and obsoleted by gajim's plugin system (read above).
You can use aur:gajim-otr-hg PKGBUILD to build OTR-compatible 0.13 version of gajim. Main issues are:
- Received otr-encrypted messages with HTML markup will be rendered raw, unformatted, with HTML tags;
The OTR setting will be located in the last tab of gajim parameters (Ctrl+P) -> Off-the-record encryption. At first time, you need to generate own key on this tab using "Generate" button (this will take some time).