Difference between revisions of "Getting involved"
(→Software: out of date)
|Line 8:||Line 8:|
Revision as of 06:37, 3 November 2012
In biology, mutualism is an interaction between two organisms from which each derives benefit. This principle also applies to proactive members of the Arch community wanting to get involved and contribute to their favorite Linux distribution. This participation benefits not only the community member and their fellow Archers, but all users of free and open source software.
- 1 Official Arch Linux projects
- 2 Community projects
- 3 FAQ
Official Arch Linux projects
Post on the forums
One of the easiest ways to get involved is participating in the Arch Linux Forums, which allow getting to know the community and help new users.
Improve this wiki
Join the chatroom
You can help other users to solve problems on the IRC Channel. It is of vital importance however, that you read both the rules and guidelines before participating. Further channels are available for specific topics.
Fix and report bugs
Reporting and fixing bugs on the bug tracker is one of the possible ways to help the community.
However, ineffective use can be counter-productive. Please read the bug reporting guidelines.
Create and adopt AUR packages
The Arch User Repository contains community-made package scripts so that users can easily install software that is not in the official repositories. Popular packages get included into the official [community] repository.
You can help by creating and adopting packages.
Official software projects
You can get involved in the development of official Arch Linux software projects.
Participate in events
There are yearly and monthly events for bugfixing, translating and cleanup. You can find forthcoming events in the Arch Linux Event Calendar.
You can find out how to help sustaining server costs on the official Arch Linux donate page.
Arch's community maintains many projects. Feel free to include yours!
Arch-specific groups that you can engage in.
- Google Earth Arch user map.
- A third-party package repository and online discussion board for Arch Linux pro-audio users.
- Arch Linux Subreddit
- Place for reddit users to discuss Arch related issues.
- Arch Linux User Group
- Local meet-up for users.
- Arch Women
- Group with the intention of resolving possible hurdles for female Arch users (forum thread).
- LinkedIn Group
- Arch Linux group for users and professionals.
- Unofficial repository for CPU-optimized AUR packages for Arch Linux users.
Community-developed software that focuses on Arch Linux.
- Arch Based Distributions
- Linux distributions based on Arch Linux.
Services specifically made for Arch users.
- TuxLyn's Arch Linux Wiki
- Personal Arch-related wiki.
- Xyne's Arch Linux Projects
- A trusted user's arch-related projects.