Jump to navigation Jump to search
Adding a user to a group enables that user to perform certain actions or access certain files pertaining to that group.
Below is a list of common groups and their function in Arch.
- abs = rights to Arch's auto build system
- audio = sound
- camera = camera devices
- floppy = floppy drive
- log = access to log files in /var/log
- optical = dvd/cd drives
- scanner = scanners
- slocate = access to command updatedb
- storage = access to external drives
- thinkpad = for thinkpad users accessing /dev/misc/nvram through e.g. tpb
- video = ?
- vmware = right to execute vmware
- wheel = right to do su (though PAM also affects this)