Help talk:Style/Formatting and punctuation
Dealing with long lines within code block text
I'd like to get some input and, hopefully, a resolution to the issue of long lines within code block text boxes; even on this Help page the long lines of code or comments within code block text boxes are not constrained within the text box. Perhaps a horizontal scroll bar can be used to expose the long lines of text within the text box instead of simply allowing the text to span past the width of the text box. This will prove especially useful with the exponential growth in usage of mobile browsers and devices.
- Desktop version of Firefox shows the horizontal scrollbar when needed. Mobile webkit-based browsers don't show the scrollbar, but "swiping" the code box actually scrolls the box.
- Optimization for mobile devices is another issue; but yes - browsing wiki pages on mobile webkit browsers sucks, mostly because of .
- -- Lahwaacz (talk) 18:28, 31 March 2014 (UTC)
- Horizontal scroll bars are already enabled for code blocks , this is indeed a problem with mobile webkit browsers, not limited to MediaWiki, for example I can't properly see long lines of code on github.com either (no horizontal scroll bar either).
- Anyway, if somebody's aware of a CSS fix for that, it should be submitted to MediaWiki's bug tracker.
- -- Kynikos (talk) 00:49, 2 April 2014 (UTC)