IBM ThinkPad T42
This page documents configuration and troubleshooting of the IBM ThinkPad T42. The T42 ThinkWiki page is an indispensable and easy reference.
See the Beginners' Guide for installation instructions.
Add thinkpad_acpi to your MODULES array in /etc/rc.conf
See http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_make_ACPI_work for more thinkpad specific information.
CPU frequency scaling
Suspend and hibernate
The MiniPCI slot on the T42 usually comes with 1 of 6 wireless cards, 3 by IBM and 3 by Intel.
The IBM Cards
- IBM 11b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Adapter (use madwifi)
- IBM 11a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Adapter (use madwifi)
- IBM 11a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Adapter II (use madwifi)
You can use the atheros madwifi's ath_pci module (Package: madwifi). or the newer ath5k module (since kernel 2.6.27). However I used the former since at that time it was the most stable and had fully functional wpa encryption. For the ath5k modlule, please read this. Otherwise to load the madwifi driver, type:
If using ath_pci, you may need to blacklist ath5k by adding it to the MODULES= array in /etc/rc.conf, and subsequently prefixing it with a bang (!):
MODULES=(ath_pci !ath5k forcedeth snd_intel8x0 ... ...)
The Intel Cards
To configure the Intel cards see here.
If an Archer has experience with a T42 that uses the Intel PRO wireless card, please modify this document to include information about:
- Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter (use ipw2100)
- Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Mini-PCI Adapter (use ipw2200)
- Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Mini-PCI Adapter (use ipw2200)
More Information on Wireless
For more details, wireless encryption configurations or problems solutions, please visit: