Template:Article summary start Template:Article summary text Template:Article summary heading Template:Article summary wiki Template:Article summary wiki Template:Article summary wiki Template:Article summary end
For internationalization support, install thepackage, which provides various character sets and non-English features.
Select packages (alternate)
It is also possible to select the individual LaTeX packages you require. Install thepackage, which contains the LaTeX compiler. On its own, should be suitable for most needs.
To compile a TeX file install thepackage.
Editors and environments
While LaTeX can be written in a simple text editor, many people wish to edit LaTeX source in a specialized environment. The following editors, which use various toolkits, are all available in the official repositories and can be installed with pacman.
- gedit — Supports LaTeX syntax highlighting, it is included in .
- Winefish — A very lightweight LaTeX editing suite. It supports highlighting and code completion, compile-from-editor, among other things.
- geany — An IDE that includes LaTeX syntax highlighting, building, and shows a list of environments/sections/labels in the sidebar.
- gummi — Lightweight LaTeX editor. It features a continuous preview mode, integrated BibTeX support, extendable snippet interface and multi-document support.
- Kile — A user friendly TeX/LaTeX front-end for KDE
- Ktikz — GUI making diagrams with TikZ/PGF easier.
- Vim — Vim together with AUR can be used as customizable LaTeX environment.
- TeXMaker — A free, modern and cross-platform LaTeX editor for linux, macosx and windows systems that integrates many tools needed to develop documents with LaTeX, in just one application. Also check out AUR.
- LyX — An advanced open-source WYSIWYM document processor.
- JabRef — Java GUI frontend for managing BibTeX and other bibliographies. If you have issues with certain features not working in JabRef (like the "Find" command), it may be an incompatibility with Java 7. Try installing Java 6 (i.e. ). This will uninstall and , and all features in JabRef should now work.
- TeXmacs — Wikipedia:WYSISYW (what you see is what you want) editing platform with special features for scientists.
Updating babelbib language definitions
If you have the very specific problem of babelbib not having the latest language definitions that you need, and you don't want to recompile everything, you can get them manually from http://www.tug.org/texlive/devsrc/Master/texmf-dist/tex/latex/babelbib/ and put them in
/usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/babelbib/. For example:
# cd /usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/babelbib/ # wget http://www.tug.org/texlive/devsrc/Master/texmf-dist/tex/latex/babelbib/romanian.bdf # wget [...all-other-language-files...] # wget http://www.tug.org/texlive/devsrc/Master/texmf-dist/tex/latex/babelbib/babelbib.sty
Afterwards, you need to run texhash to update the TeX database: