- GNU Aspell — Spell checker designed to eventually replace Ispell, see also .
- Hunspell — Spell checker and morphological analyzer library and program, see also .
- Ispell — Interactive spell-checking program for Unix, see also .
- Hspell — Hebrew spell-checker
- Voikko — Finnish spelling and grammar checker, hyphenator and collection of related linguistic data
Enchant is available as thepackage. For its usage and ordering file, see .
Enchant is used my many applications through the following GTK libraries:
- gspell — Flexible API to implement spell checking in GTK+ applications.
- GtkSpell — Provides word-processor-style highlighting and replacement of misspelled words in a GtkTextView widget.
Firefox, Thunderbird, Chromium and LibreOffice can all use system-wide installed Hunspell dictionaries as well as dictionaries/other spell checkers installed through their own extension systems. See the following sections:
- LanguageTool — Open source language checker, written in Java.
- Style and Diction — Diction identifies wordy and commonly misused phrases. Style analyses surface characteristics of a document.