List of games
Template:Article summary start Template:Article summary text Template:Article summary heading Template:I18n entry Template:Article summary heading Template:Article summary wiki Template:Article summary wiki Template:Article summary wiki Template:Article summary end
This page only lists popular games for GNU/Linux. For more about running games and related system configuration tips, see Gaming.
Different environments exist to play games in Linux:
- Native - Games written for Linux (a good number are available in the official repositories or in the AUR). Loki also provides installers for several games.
- Wine - Allows running of some Windows games.
- Crossover Games - Members of the Codeweavers team are prime supporters of Wine. Using Crossover Games makes the installation & setting up of some games easier, more reliable & even possible, when compared to using other methods. Crossover is an inexpensive commercial product, which also provides a forum where the developers are very much involved in the community.
- Cedega - A game-oriented Wine derivative. Its packaged version is not free of charge unlike its CVS version.
- Java Webstart - to install cross-platform games very easily.
- Web game - Java applets, Flash games...
Action and adventure
- 'Bloodridge' — Java based, 3d adventure fantasy game
- http://www.hayles.demon.co.uk/bloodridge/bloodridge.html || No package
- BZFlag — Multiperson, first-person tank shooter
- Blob Wars: Blob and Conquer — 3D Action-adventure game, sequel to 2D platform game, Blob Wars: Metal Blob Solid
- Freedink — Free and enhanced version of the action-adventure "Dink Smallwood"
- Neverball — 3D game to guide a ball through a maze
- 'Astromenace' — AstroMenace is a modern 3D scrolling space shooter with ship upgrade possibilities
- Barrage - Violent point-and-click shooting game with nice effects
- Bomberclone - Free Bomberman-like game for Linux and Windows. The rules of the game are simple: run though a level and bomb other players.
- Ceferino (spanish) - Action game similar to Super Pang
- Cosmic Trip - Fast 3D shooter featuring smooth, psychedelic graphics, fast and addictive gameplay, online high-scores, and free
- Chromium - Fast paced, arcade-style, top-scrolling space shooter
- Circus Linux! - Clone of the Atari 2600 game "Circus Atari", produced by Atari, Inc
- Crack-attack - Free OpenGL game based on the Super Nintendo classic Tetris Attack
- Frozen Bubble - Frozen Bubble arcade game with colorful animated penguin eyecandy
- lbreakout2 - Breakout-style arcade game in the manner of Arkanoid
- LTris - An arcade version of Tetris.
- Noiz2sa - A vertical shooter arcade game with nice abstract graphics, music, and joystick support.
- Pinball - Open source pinball simulator for linux and other unix systems
- PowerManga - Arcade 2D shoot-em-up game with 41 levels and more than 200 sprites
- Tetrinet - Multiplayer online Tetris game for up to six people
- Ri-li - Toy wood engine GPL game
- Tuxanci - Multiplatform game, inspired by well-known czech game Bulanci
- Ultrastar-ng - Clone of SingStar, a music video game
- Viruskiller - Your computer has been invaded! Using your trusty mouse you must shoot the buggers before they can destroy your files!
- Warzone 3 - 3D tank combat simulation game, set during some of the most critical European and Russian battles of the Second World War
- Armagetron Advanced
- BigFun Motorcycle Trials
- Extreme Tux Racer - A 3D game where you guide Tux the penguin down a course of snow and ice collecting herring. This game replaces "Tux Racer" and "Planet Penguin Racer", which are no longer under development.
- Super Tux Kart
- Ultimate Stunts
- Tux Paint
- Tux Typing
- Dōkutsu Monogatari (aka Cave Story) - Addictive 1-man-made metroid-vania-esque platformer
- knyttstories - Platformer with adventure elements, heavy exploration and downloadable levels
- toppler - Reimplementation of the classic jump & run game "Nebulus"
- Egoboo - Open-source action RPG/dungeon crawling adventure with OpenGL 3D graphics
- Ancient Arenas
- Cube 2 : Sauerbraten
- Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
- Futuristic Arenas
- Jake 2
- Quake 3 Arena - Demo version from id
- Quake Live
- Steam under Linux
- Tremulous - FPS with elements of real time strategy, featuring humans and aliens
- True Combat: Elite(TCE) - A completely free, realistic, team-based modification for Enemy Territory.
- Urban Terror
- Warsow - Fast paced multiplayer FPS focusing on movement and trick jumps
- Wolfenstein : Enemy Territory - Freeware edition of Return to Castle Wolfenstein's multiplayer client
- World Of Padman : Stand Alone Complex
MMOG - MMORPG
- Landes Eternelles
- Savage - The Battle For Newerth
- Savage2 - A tortured soul
- Regnum Online
- The Mana World
- Second Life - Online, 3D virtual world imagined and created by its residents
- Wurm Online
- Vendetta Online
- Eve Online
- Heroes of Newerth - Online, multi-player strategy game that is based upon DoTA (Defense of the Ancients)
- Advanced Strategic Command
- Battle for Wesnoth - Free, turn-based tactical strategy game with a high fantasy theme, featuring both single-player, and online/hotseat multiplayer combat
- Crimson Fields
- Glest - Free 3D real-time strategy game, where you control the armies of two different factions: Tech, which is mainly composed of warriors and mechanical devices, and Magic, that prefers mages and summoned creatures in the battlefield
- Globulation 2 - Multiplayer RTS with some "economic" elements minimizing the amount of micromanagement
- Penguin Command
- Singularity (Endgame) - Turn based Single player strategy/simulation about a AI hiding, growing and evolving
- Tower Defense Game
- Tropic Euro - free online adaptation of the board game Puerto Rico for 2-5 players
- UFO Alien Invasion
- Warzone 2100 - In Warzone 2100, you command the forces of The Project in a battle to rebuild the world after mankind has almost been destroyed by nuclear missiles. The game offers campaign, multi-player, and single-player skirmish modes. An extensive tech tree with over 400 different technologies, combined with the unit design system, allows for a wide variety of possible units and tactics.
- Bygfoot - Football (soccer) management game.
- Lincity-ng - City simulation game in which you are required to build and maintain a city. You can win the game either by building a sustainable economy or by evacuating all citizens with spaceships.
- OpenTTD - Open source clone of the Microprose game "Transport Tycoon Deluxe", a popular game originally written by Chris Sawyer. It attempts to mimic the original game as closely as possible while extending it with new features.
- Simutrans- Another Transport simulation that works on linux with sdl, it is available in the AUR.
- 3D Breakout
- World of Goo - great 2D game with good physic, incredible music and nice graphics, you can find demo version in AUR, if you want full version, then you can purchase Linux version for 20$ from the game's homepage
- chroma - A puzzle game like Sokoban with ncurses mode
There are too many to list. Here's a few examples (please contribute to this list):
- Dwarf Fortress
- Crawl (aka Dungeon Crawl, aka Linley's Dungeon Crawl)
- ToME (aka Troubles of Middle Earth)
- Stone Soup (aka Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup)
- nInvaders - in AUR, Ncurses based space invaders clone
- Chroma - A puzzle game like Sokoban with ncurses mode
- bs - A Battleships based shooter for the console
These games can usually be found in the official repositories or in AUR.
An emulator is a program which serves to replicate the functions of another platform or system so as to allow applications and games to be run in environments they were not programmed for. While emulators themselves are not games in a strict sense, they provide users with the ability to play games and therefore have been included in this article.
- Dolphin- Very nice Gamecube and Wii emulator
- DeSmuME - Linux Nintendo DS emulator
- DOSBox - Open source DOS emulator which primarily focuses on running DOS Games
- epsxe - Emulator of the PlayStation video game console for x86-based PC hardware
- fceux - Cross platform, NTSC and PAL Famicom/NES emulator that is an evolution of the original FCE Ultra emulator
- PCSX2 - Playstation 2 emulator it is still being maintained and developed
- Mupen64Plus - Highly compatible n64 emulator with plugin system
- snes-9x - portable, freeware Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) emulator
- Visual Boy Advance - Gameboy emulator with GameBoy Advance, GameBoy Color, and Super GameBoy support
- Wine - Wine is not actually an emulator, but it provides a way to play windows games on Linux.
- ZSNES - a Super Nintendo emulator
For a full selection of emulators, try checking the AUR 'emulators' category
- arch-games Games repo for Arch Linux
- The Java Game Tome - The portal for all Java games
- Free Gamer - Open source games blog
- FreeGameDev - Free/open source game development community
- Libregamewiki - Free software games wiki
- SIG/Games - OS/Linux gaming news sites and lists at Fedora's wiki
- live.linux-gamers - Arch-based live gaming distro