List of applications/Multimedia
< List of applications
Revision as of 13:13, 30 August 2012 by Alexfikl (→Graphics and Image Manipulation: alphabetic order. general cleanup and phrasing. more links to wikipedia. added: sk1, karbon, freecad, varicad, brl-cad)
- 1 Multimedia
- 1.1 Image Viewers
- 1.2 Graphics and Image Manipulation
- 1.3 Graphics utilities (helper apps)
- 1.4 Audio systems
- 1.5 Audio players
- 1.6 Ripping from CD
- 1.7 Visualization
- 1.8 Sound editing
- 1.9 E-book applications
- 1.10 Phone
- 1.11 Video Players
- 1.12 Video Editors
- 1.13 Collection managers
- fbv — A very simple graphic file viewer for the framebuffer console.
- fim — A highly customizable and scriptable framebuffer image viewer based on fbi.
- Eye of GNOME — An image viewing and cataloging program, which is a part of the GNOME desktop environment.
- Feh — A fast, lightweight image viewer that uses imlib2.
- GalaPix — An OpenGL-based image viewer for simultaneously viewing and zooming large collections of image files,
- Geeqie — An image browser and viewer (fork of GQview) that adds additional functionality such as support for RAW files.
- Gimmage — A gtkmm image viewer.
- GPicView — A simple and fast image viewer for X, which is part of the LXDE desktop.
- GQview — An image browser that features single click access to view images and move around the directory tree
- gThumb — An image viewer for the GNOME desktop.
- Gwenview — A fast and easy to use image viewer for the KDE desktop.
- Mirage — A PyGTK image viewer featuring support for crop and resize, custom actions and a thumbnail panel.
- Picasa — An image organizer and viewer from Google that has editing capabilities and integration with the photo-sharing website.
- http://picasa.google.com/ || AUR
- Quick Image Viewer — A very small and fast image viewer based on GTK and imlib2.
- Ristretto — A fast and lightweight image viewer for the Xfce desktop environment.
- sxiv — A simple image viewer based on imlib2 that works well with tiling window managers.
- Viewnior — A minimalistic GTK image viewer featuring support for flipping, rotating, animations and configurable mouse actions.
- Xloadimage — A classic X image viewer.
- XnView MP — An efficient image viewer, browser and converter.
- xv — A shareware program written by John Bradley to display and modify digital images under the X Window System.
Graphics and Image Manipulation
- Bibble Pro — A digital imaging program designed to assist photographers in post-production work and efficient optimization of images created in the Raw image format.
- http://www.bibblelabs.com || AUR
- darktable — A photography workflow and RAW development application.
- digiKam — A KDE based image organizer with built-in editing features via a plugin architecture. digiKam asserts it is more full featured than similar applications with a larger set of image manipulation features including RAW image import and manipulation.
- GIMP — An image editing suite in the vein of proprietary editors such as Adobe Photoshop. GIMP ( GNU Image Manipulation Program) has been started in the mid 1990s and has acquired a large number of plugins and additional tools.
- GraphicsMagick — A 2002 fork of ImageMagick designed to have API and command line stability. It also supports multi-CPU for enhanced performance and thus is used by some large commercial sites (Flickr, etsy) for its performance.
- ImageMagick — A command line image manipulation program. It is known for its accurate format conversions with support for over 100 formats. Its API enables it to be scripted and it is usually used as a backend processor.
- KolourPaint — A free, raster graphics editor for KDE, similar to Microsoft's Paint application before Windows 7, but with some additional features such as support for transparency.
- Krita — A digital painting and illustration software included based on the KDE platform and Calligra libraries.
- Luminance HDR — An open source graphical user interface application that aims to provide a workflow for HDR imaging.
- mtPaint — A graphics editing program geared towards creating indexed palette images and pixel art.
- MyPaint — A free software graphics application for digital painters.
- Nathive — A "usable image editor", based on GNOME libraries with a focus on usability and a smooth learning curve.
- http://www.nathive.org/ || AUR
- Pinta — A drawing and editing program modeled after Paint.NET. Its goal is to provide a simplified alternative to GIMP for casual users.
- Shotwell — An image organizer with a small set of image manipulation features (rotate, crop, color adjust, and red eye removal). It can import photos directly from digital cameras and export them to social media sites (Facebook, Flickr, Picasa Web Albums, etc.).
- XPaint — A color image editing tool which features most standard paint program options.
Vector Graphics - Illustration
- Dia — A GTK+ based diagram creation program.
- Inkscape — A vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, CorelDraw, or Xara X, using the SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) file format. Inkscape supports many advanced SVG features (markers, clones, alpha blending, etc.) and great care is taken in designing a streamlined interface. It is very easy to edit nodes, perform complex path operations, trace bitmaps and much more. It's developers also aim to maintain a thriving user and developer community by using open, community-oriented development.
- Karbon — A vector graphics editor, part of the Calligra Suite.
- sK1 — A replacement for Adobe Illustrator or CorelDraw, oriented for "prepress ready" PostScript & PDF output.
- Xara LX — An advanced vector graphics program, the open source version of the commercial Xara X.
- http://www.xaraxtreme.org/ || AUR
Vector graphics - CAD
- BRL-CAD — A constructive solid geometry (CSG) solid modeling computer-aided design (CAD) system that includes an interactive geometry editor, ray tracing support for graphics rendering and geometric analysis, computer network distributed framebuffer support, scripting, image-processing and signal-processing tools.
- http://brlcad.org/ || AUR
- FreeCAD — A CAD/CAE program, based on OpenCascade, Qt and Python with features such as macro recording, workbenches and the ability to run as server
- QCAD — A powerful 2D CAD application that began in 1999. QCaD includes DFX standard file format and supports HPGL format.
- VariCAD — A 3D/2D CAD and mechanical engineering application which provides support for parameters and geometric constraints, tools for shells, pipelines, sheet metal unbending and crash tests, assembly support, mechanical part and symbol libraries, calculations, bills of materials, and more.
- Art of Illusion — A 3D modeling and rendering studio written in Java.
- Blender — A fully integrated 3D graphics creation suite capable of 3D modeling, texturing, and animation, among other things.
- POV-Ray — A script-based raytracer for creating 3D graphics.
- Wings 3D — An advanced subdivision modeler that is both powerful and easy to use.
Graphics utilities (helper apps)
- KSnapshot — KDE application for taking screenshots. It is capable of capturing images of the whole desktop, a single window, a section of a window, a selected rectangular region or a freehand region. The images can then be saved in a variety of formats.
- Scrot — A simple command-line screenshot utility for X
- xfce4-screenshooter — Screenshot application for the Xfce desktop. A plugin for the Xfce panel is also available
Screencast utilities allow you to create a video of your desktop or individual windows.
- RecordMyDesktop — easy to use utility that records your desktop to ogg/theora. GTK and Qt frontends are avaiable
- glc — can capture the sound and video of OpenGL applications, such as games, where regular X11 screencast tools produce choppy results
Music player daemon and clients
- Music Player Daemon — Lightweight and scalable choice for music management
Command line players
- Herrie — A minimalistic console-based music player with native AudioScrobbler support
- http://herrie.info/ || AUR
- Mpg123 — A fast free MP3 console audio player for Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, Hpux and near all other UNIX systems. Also decodes mp1 and mp2 files
- cmus — A very feature-rich ncurses-based music player
- cplay — A curses front-end for various audio players
- Moc — A ncurses console audio player with support for the MP3, Ogg, and WAV formats
- PyTone — An advanced music jukebox with a console interface
- http://www.luga.de/pytone/ || AUR
- pianobar — Console-based frontend for Pandora
- shell-fm — A console based player for the streams provided by Last.FM
- Amarok — mature Qt-based player known for its plethora of features
- aTunes — audio-player written in Java
- http://www.atunes.org/ || AUR
- Clementine — Amarok 1.4 ported to QT4
- DeaDBeeF — A light and fast music player with many features, no GNOME or KDE dependencies, supports console-only and as well GTK2-gui, comes with many plugins, and has a metadata editor
- Exaile — GTK2 clone of Amarok
- http://www.exaile.org/ || AUR
- Goggles Music Manager — A music collection manager and player that automatically categorizes your music, supports gapless playback, features easy tag editing, and internet radio support. Uses the Fox Toolkit.
- Rhythmbox — GTK2 clone of iTunes, used by default in GNOME
- Potamus — A lightweight, intuitive GTK+ audio player with an emphasis on high audio quality
- Pragha — A GTK+ music manager that was a fork of Consonance Music Manager
- XMMS — A skinnable GTK+1 standalone media player similar to winamp
- Qmmp — Qt-based Multimedia Player. The user interface is similar to winamp or xmms
- Guayadeque — full featured media player that can easily manage large collections and uses the Gstreamer media framework
- http://guayadeque.org/ || AUR
- Quod Libet — audio player written with pygtk and gstreamer
- Nightingale (Songbird for Linux) — open source clone of iTunes that uses Mozilla technologies as well as Gstreamer and is being developed by the team that made WinAMP
- http://getnightingale.com/ || AUR
- Spotify — A proprietary music streaming service. Supports local playback and streaming from Spotify's vast library (requires a free account)
- http://www.spotify.com/ || AUR
- gmusicbrowser — An open-source jukebox for large collections of mp3/ogg/flac files, written in perl
- http://gmusicbrowser.org/ || AUR
- Cuberok — A music player and collection manager with a lightweight interface.
Ripping from CD
- abcde — Comprehensive command line tool for ripping audio CDs
- sound-juicer — A CD ripper for GNOME
- kaudiocreator — A program for ripping and encoding Audio-CDs, encoding files from disk
- search in AUR || not packaged?
- ProjectM — A music visualizer which uses 3D accelerated iterative image based rendering.
- Ardour — A multichannel hard disk recorder and digital audio workstation.
- Audacity — A program that lets you manipulate digital audio waveforms.
- KWave — A sound editor for KDE.
- Tagtool — Tool to edit tags in MP3 and Ogg Vorbis files.
- Easytag — Utility for viewing, editing and writing ID3 tags of your MP3 files.
- XCFA — X Convert File Audio.
- FBReader — E-book viewer. Supported formats include EPUB, FictionBook, HTML, plucker, PalmDoc, zTxt, TCR, CHM, RTF, OEB, non-DRM'ed mobipocket (mobi), and plain-text.
- CoolReader — E-book viewer. Supported formats include epub (non-DRM), fb2, txt, rtf, html, chm and tcr.
- Calibre — E-book library management application. Supported formats include CBZ, CBR, CBC, CHM, DJVU, EPUB, FB2, HTML, HTMLZ, LIT, LRF, MOBI, ODT, PDF, PRC, PDB, PML, RB, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ.
- moto4lin — A file manager and seem editor for Motorola P2K phones (like C380/C650)
- MPlayer — Support a complete and versatile array of video/audio formats
- mplayer2 — mplayer2 is a fork of the original MPlayer project. It contains significant further development and supports a number of features not available in other Unix players
- Dragon Player — A simple video player for KDE 4 developed by Ian Monroe.
- GNOME-MPlayer — A simple GTK-based GUI for MPlayer
- Parole — A modern media player based on the GStreamer framework
- SMPlayer — A middleweight QT front-end for MPlayer with additional patches
- VLC media player — A middleweight video player with support for a wide variety of audio and video formats
- Whaaw! Media Player — A lightweight Gstreamer-based audio/video player that can serve as a good alternative to Totem for those who do not like all of those GNOME dependencies.
- http://home.gna.org/whaawmp/ || AUR
- Xnoise — A GTK+ media player for both audio and video with "a slick GUI, great speed and lots of features.". Uses GStreamer.
- avidemux — graphical tool to edit video (filter/re-encode/split)
- Kino — non-linear digital video editor
- Open Shot — non-linear video editor based on MLT framework
- Kdenlive — non-linear video editor "designed for basic to semi-professional work"
- CinelerraCV — professional video editing and compositing environment
- PiTiVi — Video editor with design goal of ease of use.
- LiVES — Video editor and VJ (live performance) platform
- Open Movie Editor — "designed for basic movie making capabilities"
- GCStar — A collection manager using GTK.
- Tellico — A collection manager for KDE.