List of games
- 1 Games
- 1.1 Action and adventure
- 1.2 Arcade
- 1.3 Course
- 1.4 Education
- 1.5 Platformer
- 1.6 Puzzle
- 1.7 Real-Time Strategy (RTS)
- 1.8 Role-Playing Game (RPG)
- 1.9 Shooters (FPS, Third Person)
- 1.10 Simulation
- 1.11 Tycoon/Management Games
- 1.12 Turn-Based Strategy
- 1.13 Humble Indie Bundle games
- 1.14 Native – Commercial
- 1.15 MMO
- 1.16 Shooters
- 1.17 Strategies
- 1.18 MMORPG
- 1.19 Netbook Games
- 1.20 Arcades
- 1.21 Chess simulators
- 1.22 Interactive fiction
- 1.23 Puzzles
- 1.24 Racing
- 1.25 Rogue-like
- 1.26 Casual games
- 1.27 RPG
- 1.28 RTS
- 1.29 TBS
- 1.30 Tycoon/Management Games
- 1.31 Visual novels
- 1.32 Wine
Action and adventure
- Astromenace — Modern 3D scrolling space shooter with ship upgrade possibilities.
- Blob Wars: Blob and Conquer — 3D Action-adventure game, sequel to 2D platform game, Blob Wars: Metal Blob Solid.
- Bloodridge — Java based, 3d adventure fantasy game.
- http://www.hayles.demon.co.uk/bloodridge/bloodridge.html || not packaged? search in AUR
- BZFlag — Multiperson, first-person tank shooter.
- Freedink — Free and enhanced version of the action-adventure "Dink Smallwood".
- http://www.freedink.org/ || AUR
- Neverball — 3D game to guide a ball through a maze.
- Bomberclone — Free Bomberman-like game for Linux and Windows. The rules of the game are simple: run though a level and bomb other players.
- Ceferino — Action game similar to Super Pang.
- Chromium — Fast paced, arcade-style, top-scrolling space shooter.
- Circus Linux! — Clone of the Atari 2600 game "Circus Atari", produced by Atari, Inc.
- Crack-attack — Free OpenGL game, based on the Super Nintendo classic Tetris Attack.
- Noiz2sa — Vertical shooter arcade game with nice abstract graphics, music, and joystick support.
- Pinball — Open source pinball simulator for Linux and other Unix systems.
- PowerManga — Arcade 2D shoot-em-up game with 41 levels and more than 200 sprites.
- Streets of Rage Remake — A remake of the classic Streets of Rage 1, 2 and 3 by Sega.
- http://sorr.forumotion.net/ || AUR
- Tetrinet — Multiplayer online Tetris game for up to six people.
- http://www.tetrinet.info/ || AUR
- Tuxanci — Multiplatform game, inspired by well-known czech game Bulanci.
- Ultrastar-ng — Clone of SingStar, a music video game.
- http://performous.org/ || AUR
- Viruskiller — Your computer has been invaded! Using your trusty mouse you must shoot the buggers before they can destroy your files!
- Armagetron Advanced — Tron Clone in 3D.
- Extreme Tux Racer — 3D game where you guide Tux the penguin down a course of snow and ice collecting herring.
- Maniadrive — Arcade car game on acrobatic tracks with quick and nervous gameplay.
- Moon Buggy — Simple game for the text mode.
- Speed Dreams — Fork of Torcs, aiming to implement exciting new features as well as improving realism.
- Stunt Rally — Game with track editor, based on VDrift and OGRE.
- Supertux Kart — Kart racing game featuring Tux and his friends.
- Torcs — 3D racing cars simulator using OpenGL.
- Trigger Rally — Free OpenGL rally car racing game.
- Ultimate Stunts — Remake of the famous DOS-game 'stunts'.
- VDrift — Open source driving simulation made with drift racing in mind.
- GCompris — Educational software suite comprising of numerous activities for children aged 2 to 10.
- Tux Paint — Free drawing program designed for young children.
- Tux Type — Educational typing tutor for kids starring Tux.
- TuxMath — Arcade game that helps kids practice their math facts.
- Knyttstories — Platformer with adventure elements, heavy exploration and downloadable levels.
- http://nifflas.ni2.se/ || AUR
- Secret Maryo Chronicles — Mario-style game.
- SuperTux — Mario-style game featuring Tux.
- Toppler — Reimplementation of the classic jump & run game "Nebulus".
- Cgoban3 — Kiseido Go and SGF client.
- Crack Attack! — Free OpenGL game based on the Super Nintendo classic Tetris Attack.
- glChess — 3D Chess Frontend.
- http://live.gnome.org/Chess || AUR
- Gnono — GNOME version of the classic card game UNO.
- Ksudoku — Sudoku game and more for KDE. Part of .
- Netris — Unfinished developmental version of Netris, a free networked version of Tetris.
- Pingus — Lemmings clone, i.e. a level-based puzzle game.
- Xscorch — Clone of the classic DOS game Scorched Earth.
- http://www.xscorch.org/ || AUR
Real-Time Strategy (RTS)
- 0 A.D. — 3D and historically-based real-time strategy game, alpha stage.
- Boson — OpenGL real-time strategy game, with the feeling of Command&Conquer(tm) or StarCraft(tm).
- Dark Oberon — Open source real-time strategy game similar to Warcraft II.
- Glest — Free 3D real-time strategy game, where you control the armies of two different factions: Tech, which is mainly composed of warriors and mechanical devices, and Magic, that prefers mages and summoned creatures in the battlefield.
- http://glest.org || AUR
- Globulation 2 — Multiplayer RTS with some "economic" elements minimizing the amount of micromanagement.
- MegaGlest — Fork of Glest, a 3D real-time strategy game in a fantastic world.
- Netpanzer — Realtime Strategy game like Command and Conquer but without building bases.
- http://www.netpanzer.org/ || AUR
- Spring — RTS game engine. Popular games based on spring include Kernel Panic ( ) and Spring: 1944 ( ).
Role-Playing Game (RPG)
- Arx Libertatis — This project aims to be a cross-platform, open source port of Arx Fatalis, a 2002 first-person role-playing game developed by Arkane Studios.
- http://arx-libertatis.org/ || AUR
- Egoboo — Open-source action RPG/dungeon crawling adventure with OpenGL 3D graphics.
- fheores2 — Attempt to reimplement the Heroes of Might and Magic II engine using SDL.
- Flare — Action game similar to Diablo.
- http://www.flarerpg.org/ || AUR
- GemRB — Attempt to reimplement the Bioware's Infinity Engine under GNU GPL.
- OpenMW — Attempt to reimplement the popular role-playing game Morrowind. OpenMW aims to be a fully playable, open source implementation of the game's engine.
- http://openmw.org || AUR
- VCMI — Attempt to reimplement Heroes of Might and Magic III.
- Vulture — Isometric graphical interface for NetHack, SlashEM and UnNethack.
Shooters (FPS, Third Person)
- Alien Arena — Free, standalone FPS focused mainly on online multiplayer, but can also be played singleplayer against bots.
- AssaultCube — Free multiplayer FPS, based on the cube engine. Realistic environments, fast, arcade gameplay. Much like Counter-Strike.
- AssaultCube Reloaded — AssaultCube improved.
- http://acr.victorz.ca || AUR
- Cube — Open source multiplayer and singleplayer first person shooter game.
- http://cubeengine.com/ || AUR
- Cube 2: Sauerbraten — Improved version of the Cube engine.
- Doom: the famous shooter from ID Sodtware has several ports for Linux. None of the id-engine games have copyleft game resources, only the game engine code was open sourced. See  for details.
- Doom 1 Demo data – AUR
- Freedoom — Project aimed at creation of free Doom data files.
- Chocolate Doom — Doom port reproducing the behavior of the original DOS version.
- Doomsday — Advanced port of the Doom game engine, capable also of running Heretic, and Hexen games.
- http://www.dengine.net/ || AUR
- GZDoom — Doom source port based on ZDoom with an OpenGL renderer.
- PrBoom Plus — Enhanced version of the PrBoom Doom engine port.
- Remood — advanced Doom game engine based on Doom Legacy.
- http://remood.org/ || AUR
- Strawberry Doom — Fork of Chocolate Doom extending certain engine limits.
- Vavoom — Highly advanced Doom engine port with added support for Heretic/Hexen/Strife.
- http://vavoom-engine.com/ || AUR
- ZDoom — Enhanced Doom port with additional support for Heretic, Hexen and Strife.
- http://www.zdoom.org/ || AUR
- Doom 3 — Stock Doom 3 binaries
- Doom 3 Engine — Source-based Doom 3 engine
- ezQuake — Fast paced multiplayer FPS focusing on movement and trick jumps. The popular, modern and maintained Quake/QuakeWorld client. Manual post-installation setup required. Can play on-line for free
- Duke Nukem 3D
- Duke 3D — Original port.
- eduke32 — Advanced source port.
- http://eduke32.com/ || AUR
- HHeretic — Linux port of Raven Game's old shooter, Heretic.
- Heretic Demo game data – AUR
- Blasphemer — Project aimed at creation of free Heretic data files.
- HHexen — Linux port of Raven Game's old shooter, Hexen.
- Hexen 1 Demo game data – AUR
- Nexuiz — Free, open-source first person shooter. Development ceased, most of the developers moved to project Xonotic.
- http://alientrap.org/nexuiz || AUR
- nQuake — Fast paced multiplayer FPS focusing on movement and trick jumps. This is the popular Quake / QuakeWorld package, including ezQuake client, 24bit textures, maps, bots and more. Automatic post-installation set up. Can play on-line for free.
- Open Arena — Fast multiplayer shooter based on the quake3-engine.
- Advanced Quake 1 game engine – AUR
- Another modern Quake1 engine port – AUR
- Free content replacement project for Quake 1 – AUR
- High quality textures for Quake from the Quake Revitalization Project – AUR
- Quake 2 — Built by Icculus
- Advanced Quake 2 engine – AUR
- Enhanced Quake 2 engine with Lazarus mod support – AUR
- A true color retexture pak for Quetoo and other Quake2 engines supporting 32bpp tga textures – AUR
- Quake 2 engine focused on single player and 64bits. AUR
- Quake III Arena
- Quake III Arena binaries – AUR
- ioquake3 — De-facto FOSS Quake 3 distribution.
- http://ioquake3.org/ || AUR
- Quake 4
- Demo version – AUR
- Quake 4 engine – AUR
- Red Eclipse — Single-player and multi-player first-person ego-shooter, built as a total conversion of Cube Engine 2.
- http://redeclipse.net || AUR
- Tremulous — FPS with elements of real time strategy, featuring humans and aliens.
- Unvanquished — Team-based fps/rts hybrid game which pits aliens against humans. Monthly release that can be played on official servers.
- http://unvanquished.net/ || AUR
- Urban Terror — Modern multiplayer FPS based on the ioquake3 engine.
- Warsow — Fast paced multiplayer FPS focusing on movement and trick jumps.
- Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
- Completely free, standalone, team-based, multiplayer FPS – AUR
- Advanced open source fork of ET engine and fully compatible client and server – AUR
- Advanced open source fork of ET engine – AUR, AUR
- World Of Padman — Stand slone somplex – cartoon-style multiplayer first-person shooter.
- Xonotic — Free, open-source first person shooter (a fork of Nexuiz but with modified gameplay).
- Blood Frontier – Team oriented multiplayer FPS based on the Cube2 (Sauerbraten) engine
- Futuristic Arenas
- Jake 2
- True Combat: Elite(TCE) - Completely free, realistic, team-based modification for Enemy Territory.
- Ancient Arenas
- Beyond The Red Line — Completely free stand-alone conversion of Freespace 2 based on the TV show Battlestar Galactica.
- Bygfoot — Football (soccer) management game.
- Danger from the Deep — Submarine simulator.
- Flight Gear — Open-source, multi-platform flight simulator.
- Foobillard++ — Successor to Foobillard, OpenGL billiard game for Linux.
- FreeSpace 2 — Open sourced space emulator.
- Pydance — Python Dance Dance Revolution style game.
- Stepmania — Advanced dance simulation game.
- http://www.stepmania.com/ || AUR
- VegaStrike — 3D action-space-sim allowing player to trade and bounty hunt in a vast universe.
- Lincity-ng — City simulation game in which you are required to build and maintain a city. You can win the game either by building a sustainable economy or by evacuating all citizens with spaceships.
- Simutrans — Another Transport simulation that works on linux with sdl.
- OpenTTD — An open source simulation game based upon Transport Tycoon Deluxe.
- Advanced Strategic Command — Turn based strategy game in the tradition of the Battle Isle series.
- http://www.asc-hq.org/ || AUR
- Crimson Fields — Tactical war game in the tradition of Battle Isle.
- http://crimson.seul.org/ || AUR
- UFO Alien Invasion — Fight aliens trying to capture Earth.
Humble Indie Bundle games
Engines of these games were open-sourced after The Humble Bundle sales.
- Aquaria — 2D sidescrolling action-adventure game, heavily focused on exploration and puzzle-solving, with non-linear gameplay.
- Gish — 2D physics platformer about adventures of ball of tar.
- http://www.gishgame.com/ || AUR
Native – Commercial
- Bullet Candy Perfect — Fun shoot-em-up game, with sharp, super smooth 3D graphics and a cool techno soundtrack. Features cross-platform, achievements, and online scores. 'PAMAYW' scheme.
- Enemy Territory: Quake Wars — Commercial team and class-based multiplayer game. Full version requires retail DVD to play.
- Eschalon: Book I — Classical isometric RPG like Ultima, Might & Magic or Wizardry.
- http://basiliskgames.com/ || AUR
- Eschalon: Book II — Isometric, turn-based RPG.
- http://basiliskgames.com/ || AUR
- FTL —
Popular rogue-like space-sim released to positive reception in 2012.
- http://www.ftlgame.com/ || AUR
- AUR — Cross-platform 'pay as much as you want' (minimum $1 USD) scheme. A fun score attack shooter, set in an abstract underwater trench. Features unlockables, online score system, and challenges.
- http://www.charliesgames.com/wordpress/?page_id=11/ || not packaged? search in AUR
Java based sandbox game. Very addictive game, big community, lots of updates, do not miss this one.
- http://minecraft.net || AUR
- Prey —
First Person Shooter released in 2006 (with a GNU/Linux port in 2008), published by 3D Realms.
- Rune —
3rd person Adventure / Hack'n Slay based on ut'99. Runs great from box installation.
Hack'n Slay Roleplay Game like Diablo.
- Tip: If running on a low resolution (netbook etc) either play it on external monitor, but you can't see the skill/action bar. You can move the Window pressing
Alt+left_mouse. You can see the action bar, but then you can't see the health bar anymore. Email Michael from linuxgamepublishing.com and ask for a fix - would be really great if we could fully enjoy this game on Linux netbooks
First person shooter.
First person shooter.
- http://www.unrealtournament2004.com || AUR for the retail version, AUR for the anthology version
- VVVVVV —
Highly praised 2d puzzle platform indie game with a C64 retro theme, with a great chiptune soundtrack. You can buy the full version for £1.67, or play the demo. in a browser.
- Tip: You may want to backup your save file, which is found at
- http://thelettervsixtim.es/ || AUR
Great 2D puzzle game.
- http://www.2dboy.com || AUR
- Quake Live — MMO shooter running in browser as plugin
- http://www.quakelive.com/ || AUR
- Tropic Euro — Free online adaptation of the board game Puerto Rico for 2-5 players.
- Dofus — Free, manga inspired, Massively Multiplayer Online Role-playing Game (MMORPG) for Adobe AIR
- http://www.dofus.com || AUR
- Heroes of Newerth — Online, multi-player strategy game that is based upon DoTA (Defense of the Ancients)
- http://heroesofnewerth.com/ || AUR
- Landes Eternelles — 3D fantasy online role playing game
- http://www.eternal-lands.com || AUR
- Planeshift — Role Playing Game immersed into a 3D virtual fantasy world which is FULLY FREE to play. Fully free means you will have no surprises of premium content which will limit your gameplay or unbalance the game. There are no limitations in skills, ranks, abilities, items you can gain with your free account
- http://www.planeshift.it || AUR
- Regnum Online — Cross-platform 3D Massively Multiplayer Online Role-playing Game
- Runescape — Official RuneScape client
- http://www.runescape.com || AUR
- Savage - The Battle For Newerth — Online multiplayer team-based FPS/RTS hybrid. Completely free as of September 2006. (Includes SFE Patches)
- Savage2 - A tortured soul — Fantasy themed online multiplayer team-based FPS/RTS/RPG hybrid. Completely free as of December 2008
- http://savage2.com || AUR
- Second Life — Online, 3D virtual world imagined and created by its residents
- http://secondlife.com/ || AUR
- Spiral Knights — Free to play Java game developed by Three Rings Design and published by Sega.
- Stendhal — Fully fledged multiplayer online adventure game developed using the Arianne game development system
- http://stendhalgame.org || AUR
- The Mana World — Serious effort to create an innovative free and open source MMORPG
- http://themanaworld.org || AUR
- Vendetta Online — 3D space combat MMORPG for Windows, Mac, Linux and Android. This MMO permits thousands of players to interact as the pilots of spaceships in a vast universe
- Wurm Online — 3D MMO produced by Code Club AB in Sweden that allows players to choose between a PvP game and a non-PvP game based on different servers.
- Cave Story/Doukutsu — Addictive 1-man-made metroid-vania-esque platformer.
- If there happens to be a noticible lag when there are lots of enemies on screen or in larger levels, try running the Windows version through Wine. This should fix the problem.
- http://cavestory.org || AUR
- Counter-Strike 2D — 2D clone (+additional features) of the popular Counter-Strike Mod
- http://cs2d.com || AUR
- Frogatto — Much enjoyable platformer, in which you help a small green fellow named Frogatto walk and jump between solid footholds without getting hurt; have a look at this review.
- Frozen Bubble — Arcade game with colorful animated penguin eyecandy
- Hedgewars — Yet another Worms clone, considered to be better than its predecessor by many. Take turns to blast your opponents into oblivion with comedic results! Best in Multiplayer.
- Mari0 — The Mario game with Portal gun mechanics.
- Nikki and the Robots — Cute physics platformer
- http://joyridelabs.de/game/ || AUR
- Open Syobon Action — Cross platform, open source version of the unforgiving Japanese parody of Super Mario Bros
- Teeworlds — Fast-paced 2D multiplayer shooter
- Wormux (now Warmux) — Somewhat similar to Worms 2/Worms Armageddon
- GNU Chess — One of the oldest computer chess programs for Unix-based computers, lets most modern computers play a full game of chess
- Eboard — Chess interface to ICS and chess engines
- http://bergo.eng.br/eboard || AUR
- Inform — Design system for interactive fiction based on natural language
- http://inform7.com/ || AUR
- INSTEAD — Quest interpreter using Lua macros as game writing language
- TADS — Prototype-based domain-specific programming language and set of standard libraries for creating interactive fiction (IF) games
- http://tads.org || AUR
- Chroma — Puzzle game like Sokoban with ncurses and graphics mode
- Ri-li — Toy wood engine GPL game
- Simon Tatham's Portable Puzzle Collection — 30+ "quick" puzzle games with simplistic but polished GTK GUI
- XMoto — Challenging 2D motocross platform game, where physics play an important role
- ADOM — Ancient Domains Of Mystery
- http://adom.de || AUR
- Angband — Roguelike dungeon exploration game based on the writings of JRR Tolkien
- ASCIIpOrtal — Sidescrolling game with ANSI text graphics in which you are a person holding a device which creates portals, or links to other parts of the level
- Crawl (aka Dungeon Crawl) — Linley's Dungeon Crawl)
- http://www.dungeoncrawl.org/ || AUR
- DoomRL — Simple roguelike game, based on Doom. Perfect for starters
- http://doom.chaosforge.org/ || AUR
- Dwarf Fortress — Single-player fantasy game. You control a dwarven outpost or an adventurer in a randomly generated persistent world
- Nethack — Single player dungeon exploration game
- Rogue — Original dungeon crawl game
- Stone Soup — Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
- Troubles of Middle Earth (now Tales of Maj'Eyal) — A dungeon crawler similar to Angband, based on the works of Tolkien.
- bs — Battleships based shooter for the console
- http://www.catb.org/~esr/bs/ || AUR
- BSD Games — Collection of classic text games distributed with *BSD
- Fortune — Displays Random messages/quotes/jokes when invoked
- nInvaders — Ncurses based space invaders clone
- Barrage — Violent point-and-click shooting game with nice effects
- lbreakout2 — Breakout-style arcade game in the manner of Arkanoid
- Lgeneral — Turn-based strategy engine heavily inspired by Panzer General.
- LTris — Arcade version of Tetris
- Penguin Command — Clone of the classic game "Missile Command" with improved graphics and sound.
- FreedroidRPG — Mature science fiction role playing game set in the future
- Netpanzer — Realtime Strategy game like Command and Conquer but without building bases.
- http://www.netpanzer.org/ || AUR
- Unknown Horizons — 2.5D isometric realtime strategy simulation with an emphasis on economy and city building. Expand your small settlement to a strong and wealthy colony, collect taxes and supply your inhabitants with valuable goods. Increase your power with a well balanced economy and with strategic trade and diplomacy
- Widelands — Slow-paced strategy like "the Settlers 2"
- Warzone 2100 - 2.* — You command the forces of The Project in a battle to rebuild the world after mankind has almost been destroyed by nuclear missiles. The game offers campaign, multi-player, and single-player skirmish modes. An extensive tech tree with over 400 different technologies, combined with the unit design system, allows for a wide variety of possible units and tactics
- Battle for Wesnoth — Free, turn-based tactical strategy game with a high fantasy theme, featuring both single-player, and online/hotseat multiplayer combat
- Freeciv — Multiuser clone of the famous Microprose game of Civilization
- FreeCol — Turn-based strategy game based on Colonization
- Singularity (Endgame) — Turn based single player strategy/simulation about a AI hiding, growing and evolving
- OpenTTD — Open source clone of the Microprose game "Transport Tycoon Deluxe", a popular game originally written by Chris Sawyer. It attempts to mimic the original game as closely as possible while extending it with new features
- Digital: A Love Story — Computer mystery/romance set five minutes into the future of 1988
- Don't take it personally — Almost kinetic visual novel that tells a story of a new high school literature teacher, set in a prestigious private high school, and on the social networks of 2027
- Juniper's Knot — Short game about boy and fiend
- Katawa Shoujo — Bishoujo-style visual novel game that tells a story of a young man and five other girls suffering with varying disabilities
- http://katawa-shoujo.com/ || AUR
- Narcissu — Visual novel, telling the story of a terminally ill young man and woman
- http://narcissu.insani.org/ || AUR
- RE: Alistair++ — English otome game (subtype of visual novel) that tells a story of a young girl fond of MMORPGs, her online and everyday life
Wine does not slowdown most games (even speeds up some), so most games with low system requirements that run in Windows work in Wine too. Consult Wine AppDB for game-specific compability information.