List of games
In order to play under Linux, you can:
- play with a native game, idem est a game that has been written for Linux (Quake 3...).
- Use Loki, which provides installers for several games
- Use Wine, which allows to run Windows applications and games under Linux
- Use Cedega, which is a "fork" of Wine but game-oriented. Its packaged version is not free of charge unlike its CVS version
- Use Java Webstart (embedded in Java 1.6) to install cross-platform games very easily
- Use your web browser to launch web-games (applets using Java, Flash ...)
Action / adventure
- Bloodridge - A Java based, 3d adventure fantasy game.
- Bzflag - A multiplayer 3D tank battle for Irix, Linux, Solaris, or Windows.
- "Blob Wars : Blob And Conquer" - A 3D action-adventure game and a direct sequel to the 2D platform game, Blob Wars: Metal Blob Solid.
- freedink - A free and enhanced version of the action-adventure "Dink Smallwood"
- Neverball - Neverball is part puzzle game, part action game, and entirely a test of skill.
- AstroMenace - Hardcore 3D space shooter with spaceship upgrade possibilities.
- Tetrinet - A multiplayer online Tetris game for up to six people.
- Ri-li - A toy wood engine GPL game.
- Circus Linux! - A clone of the Atari 2600 game "Circus Atari," produced by Atari, Inc.
- Barrage - A violent point-and-click shooting game with nice effects.
- Frozen Bubble - Frozen Bubble arcade game with colorful animated penguin eyecandy.
- Chromium - A fast paced, arcade-style, top-scrolling space shooter.
- Pinball - an open source pinball simulator for linux and other unix systems.
- PowerManga - an arcade 2D shoot-em-up game with 41 levels and more than 200 sprites.
- Viruskiller - Your computer has been invaded! Using your trusty mouse you must shoot the buggers before they can destroy your files!
- Crack-attack - A free OpenGL game based on the Super Nintendo classic Tetris Attack
- lbreakout2 - a breakout-style arcade game in the manner of Arkanoid.
- Warzone 3 - 3D tank combat simulation game, set during some of the most critical European and Russian battles of the Second World War.
- Cosmic Trip
- Super Tux Kart
- Tux Kart
- Ultimates Stunts
- Tux Racer
- Planet Penguin Racer
- Extreme Tux Racer
- BigFun Motorcycle Trials []
- Tux Paint
- Tux Typing
- Dōkutsu Monogatari - AKA Cave Story, addictive 1-man-made metroid-vania-esque platformer
- knyttstories - Platformer with adventure elements, heavy exploration and downloadable levels.
- toppler - A reimplementation of the classic jump & run game "Nebulus"
- Egoboo - An open-source action RPG/dungeon crawling adventure with OpenGL 3D graphics
- Quake 3 Arena
- World Of Padman : Stand Alone Complex
- Tremulous - a FPS with elements of real time strategy, featuring two teams: humans and aliens.
- Warsow - a fast paced multiplayer FPS focusing on movement and trickjumps
- Wolfenstein : enemy territory
- Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
- Urban Terror
- America's Army
- World of Padman
- Cube 2 : Sauerbraten
- TUER []
- Jake 2 []
- Ancient Arenas []
- Futuristic Arenas []
- Scared []
- Tesseract []
- Danger from deep
- Flight Gear
- Beyond The Red Line
- Freespace 2
MMOG - MMORPG
- Landes Eternelles 
- Planeshift 
- Dofus 
- Savage - The Battle For Newerth
- Savage2 - A tortured soul 
- Regnum Online 
- The Mana World 
- Runescape 
- Second Life
- Wurm Online 
- Eve Online 
- Battle for Wesnoth
- Globulation 2 - This Multiplayer RTS has some some "economic" elements minimizing the amount of micromanagement
- UFO Alien Invasion
- Advanced Strategic Command
- Penguin Command
- Crimson Fields
- Singularity (Endgame)  - Turn based Single player Strategy / Simulation about a KI hiding, growing and evolving
- Tower Defence Game []
- Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe
- 3D Breakout []
- Incredibuilder! []
An emulator is a program which serves to replicate the functions of another platform or system so as to allow applications and games to be run in environments they were not programmed for. While emulators themselves are not games in a strict sense, they provide users with the ability to play games and therefore have been included in this article.
- Dolphin- A very nice Gamecube and Wii emulator]
- DOSBox - An open source DOS emulator which primarily focuses on running DOS Games.
- epsxe - An emulator of the PlayStation video game console for x86-based PC hardware.
- PCSX2 - A Playstation 2 emulator it is still being maintained and developed.
- fceux - A cross platform, NTSC and PAL Famicom/NES emulator that is an evolution of the original FCE Ultra emulator.
- DeSmuME - One of the best Linux Nintendo DS emulators
- snes-9x - portable, freeware Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) emulator.
- Visual Boy Advance - Gameboy emulator with GameBoy Advance, GameBoy Color, and Super GameBoy support.
- Wine - Wine is not actually an emulator, but it provides a way to play windows games on Linux.
- ZSNES - a Super Nintendo emulator.
For a full selection of emulators, try checking the AUR 'emulators' category
- FGF players' portal, the portal for all Java open source really cross-platform games
- Free Gamer, an open source games blog
- FreeGameDev, free/open source game development community
- Libregamewiki, a free software games wiki
- arch-games Games repo for Arch Linux.
- SIG/Games os/linux gaming news sites and lists at Fedora's wiki